Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 08:07 AM

46,094 posts, read 27,777,174 times

Advertisements

They may be figuring out some things about Trump and changing their tune. I won't hold my breath on that - but obviously they, or at least this author, has been paying attention.

After opening about how Trump has had to deal with mobsters in the NYC business world...

Donald Trump’s Lizard Wisdom

There is growing reason to believe that Donald Trump understands the thug mind a whole lot better than the people who attended our prestigious Foreign Service academies.

North Korea

The first piece of evidence is North Korea. When Trump was trading crude, back-alley swipes with “Little Rocket Man,” Kim Jong-un, about whose nuclear button was bigger, it sounded as if we were heading for a nuclear holocaust led by a pair of overgrown prepubescents.

In fact, Trump’s bellicosity seems to have worked. It’s impossible to know how things will pan out, but the situation with North Korea today is a lot better than it was six months ago.

China

Over the past few decades, the Western diplomatic community made a big bet: If we all behaved decently toward Chinese leaders, then they’d naturally come to embrace liberal economic and cultural values and we could all eventually share a pinot at the University Club.

The bet went wrong. Today’s Chinese elites are polite and coolheaded, but their economic, political and military behavior remains pure thug.

Iran

I do know that the argument that many of the Obama people relied on as predicate for the deal is wrong. They argued that, deep down, the Iranian leaders are worldly sophisticates who, if we just gave them the welcome mat, would want to join our community of nations.

This is the vanity of the educated class going back for centuries. Since we’re obviously so superior, everybody else secretly wants to be like us. It’s wrong. Thugs gotta thug.

Read the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 08:47 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,392,853 times
Ahh, I know NY libs well and I know the anguish this is causing them. Interesting how there's no Comment section for the outraged left.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:50 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,630,780 times
That's an "Op Ed". This means it's someone's opinion and they submitted the story to the newspaper. I generally ignore the Opinion section of all news sites and newspapers because they are subjective.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,530,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
That's an "Op Ed". This means it's someone's opinion and they submitted the story to the newspaper. I generally ignore the Opinion section of all news sites and newspapers because they are subjective.

Which would explain why you're on the politics and controversies section of this board.... because the opinions of people are of no interest or worth discussing?

Old 05-14-2018, 09:00 AM

995 posts, read 1,708,115 times
Quote:
There is very little news available today that is not subjective unfortunately.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:03 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,513,181 times
Quote:
The entire newspaper is subjective. To think otherwise is folly.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:07 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,630,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Which would explain why you're on the politics and controversies section of this board.... because the opinions of people are of no interest or worth discussing?
You have a good point. Here on C-D - the ignore button comes in handy. The one-sided closed minded hacks are generally ignored.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:58 AM

21,594 posts, read 10,733,634 times
Quote:
You have a good point. Here on C-D - the ignore button comes in handy. The one-sided closed minded hacks are generally ignored.
Interesting to mention the ignore button and one-sided close minded hacks in the same sentence.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:59 AM

21,594 posts, read 10,733,634 times
All I could think of when I read his first paragraph was that scene in Back to School where Rodney Dangerfield’s character is schooling the professor about the actual cost of doing business in NYC.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:47 AM

46,094 posts, read 27,777,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
All I could think of when I read his first paragraph was that scene in Back to School where Rodney Dangerfield’s character is schooling the professor about the actual cost of doing business in NYC.
Ha... Good reference....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlVDGmjz7eM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies