Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 02:10 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
There's little incentive to make more money when you know all it will do is put you in a higher tax bracket so you pay more for the half that has no tax burden.
It didn't stop me. I went from making $10/hr to making $1,000/week and still strive for more, and yes I pay much more in tax now than I did before, still take home more as well

Old 04-16-2018, 02:11 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,943,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
How is it “greedy and selfish” to spend money one has earned?
He clearly is doing well for himself yet a major plank of his ideology is whining about paying taxes. Clearly the taxes are not some heavy burden he must bare.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:11 PM

11,147 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
And you still get in a tizzy because you have to pay taxes the greed and selfishness is mind boggling.
It isn't greed to desire to keep what you earn. Nor is it greed to be irritated that people who have invested time, effort, and learning into increasing their income are punished for it in an effort to redistribute wealth.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:12 PM

4,258 posts, read 3,179,117 times
First off, I believe the premise by the OP is based on what someone told him and likely a small sample size that.
That said, I do understand why "some" wealthy people complain...I've been there myself, but in fact, many do not complain. Now if you were to ask me: "Do the wealthy pay their fair share," (whatever that actually is) I would say without hesitation that the majority certainly do. If you look at the overall tax burden, it is pretty significant for "most" of the wealthy. Should they be asked to pay more? Not in my opinion as we already pay out of proportion.
As far as using our resources, I grew up in the lower middle class of a primarily blue collar city. All my friends had EXACTLY the same educational opportunities that I had. I went to college for many, many years.....they did not. i worked hard....they did not, in fact, many haven't worked in 20-30 years and continue to suck off the government in one way or another. I spent 80+ hours working for years to build my businesses...to be successful...they on the other hand "partied." So from my perspective, it is THEY who are not paying their fair share!

Old 04-16-2018, 02:14 PM

34,940 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I am very well off. I fully own a PA-31t aircraft and may upgrade to a Cessna Model 510.

So why do I have to pay more so deadbeat welfare teat suckers can have flat screen TVs?
I mean, you have yours so who cares whether these people's only source of entertainment is unaffordable?

Old 04-16-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Ah, the "fair share" argument. Do you want me to argue against it on the basis of finances or morals? I can do either.

Financial: If it was every citizen's duty to contribute, we wouldn't have a large portion of the nation paying $0 and/or getting a tax "refund" that they didn't actually earn.

Moral: If the government is engaging in activities that you find morally reprehensible (i.e. you are a pacifist and the government is dedicated to a program of civilian bombing in countries that never attacked us in any way, shape, or form) is it morally acceptable that the government forces you to give them money to finance those reprehensible behaviors?

What we should have, if we want everyone to pay "their fair share," is a system that deducts the exact same percentage from everyone's income. The rich still pay more in $$, but everyone pays the same in % of income.

On the moral side of the argument, the only thing we can do is stop electing "leaders" that are interested in empire expansion and globalization - and enact term limits to ensure our elected representatives are forced out before the swamp that is Washington corrupts them. We have a two-term limit for POTUS, we should have the same for Senators and Representatives.
Would you feel better if we all paid our "fair share" and then the government had to increase the public assistance rolls because people cannot afford basics?

Old 04-16-2018, 02:17 PM

11,147 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I mean, you have yours so who cares whether these people's only source of entertainment is unaffordable?
Where is the right to be entertained found in the Constitution?

Old 04-16-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
First off, I believe the premise by the OP is based on what someone told him and likely a small sample size that.
That said, I do understand why "some" wealthy people complain...I've been there myself, but in fact, many do not complain. Now if you were to ask me: "Do the wealthy pay their fair share," (whatever that actually is) I would say without hesitation that the majority certainly do. If you look at the overall tax burden, it is pretty significant for "most" of the wealthy. Should they be asked to pay more? Not in my opinion as we already pay out of proportion.
As far as using our resources, I grew up in the lower middle class of a primarily blue collar city. All my friends had EXACTLY the same educational opportunities that I had. I went to college for many, many years.....they did not. i worked hard....they did not, in fact, many haven't worked in 20-30 years and continue to suck off the government in one way or another. I spent 80+ hours working for years to build my businesses...to be successful...they on the other hand "partied." So from my perspective, it is THEY who are not paying their fair share!
But, to be fair... did they have the same opportunities as you?

Were they as academically inclined? Were they mentally as fit? Were they free of addictions? Were they free of abusive/poorly-functioning families?

Old 04-16-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Where is the right to be entertained found in the Constitution?
Of course, it's not.

But, I do not begrudge poor people the ability to watch television.

Why should I when my household makes so much money?

Old 04-16-2018, 02:23 PM

21,155 posts, read 19,742,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
If you can’t afford your entertainment, maybe you shouldn’t be seeking it. Get a(nother) job instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies