Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 08:59 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Now invoking "metoo" in the fight for minimum wage increase.

Tipped workers invoke #MeToo in fight to raise minimum wage - ABC News

Quote:
Experiences like that are one reason activists are invoking the #MeToo movement in the push for more states to adopt higher minimum wages for tipped workers. They say a wage structure that leaves workers dependent on tips often forces them to put up with harassing and abusive behavior from their customers or risk not being paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 09:06 PM

1,330 posts, read 698,641 times
I'd gladly support doing what pretty much every other country does and get rid of tipped positions all together.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:12 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,277 times
What have they done to increase the value of their labor?

Old 03-13-2018, 09:28 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
What have they done to increase the value of their labor?
Besides work very hard demanding jobs and putting up with rude customers and serving arrogant people like you who think they are beneath them, other than that, not much. Honest work should count for something. Especially conditions and duties YOU couldn't handle- love to see YOU try it. You corporate snobs are a stitch.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Besides work very hard demanding jobs and putting up with rude customers and serving arrogant people like you who think they are beneath them, other than that, not much. Honest work should count for something. Especially conditions and duties YOU couldn't handle- love to see YOU try it. You corporate snobs are a stitch.
I have been a waiter. But rather than demanding more money for nothing, I went to college and increased the value of my labor.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
So like almost every other service industry job. Should call center employees get tipped? How about retail employees at customer service? The cashier at McDonalds who gets yelled at because someone else forgot to leave off the pickles?

There's a lot of "very hard demanding jobs that put up with rude customers"

Most of them aren't tipped.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:41 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Now invoking "metoo" in the fight for minimum wage increase.

Tipped workers invoke #MeToo in fight to raise minimum wage - ABC News
I am fine with getting rid of the antiquated system of tipping....set their wages based on experience and quality of service with the bottom being the standard min wage

be willing to bet these workers don't want to lose their tips though.... many of these waitresses are making at least $50-100/hr just in tips

Old 03-13-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I am fine with getting rid of the antiquated system of tipping....set their wages based on experience and quality of service with the bottom being the standard min wage

be willing to bet these workers don't want to lose their tips though.... many of these waitresses are making at least $50-100/hr just in tips
Nowhere near that high, except at 5-star places. Most make closer to 15/hr or so when averaged out. I'd assume that busy nights could bring in 20-30/hr for most places, but that'd be countered with slow times where you might get a 5-10/hr tip on smaller items.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...n-tips/385515/

I do agree most wouldn't want to lose tips. Not many other jobs where a high school educated person could pull in 2-3x minimum wage.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:56 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Nowhere near that high, except at 5-star places. Most make closer to 15/hr or so when averaged out. I'd assume that busy nights could bring in 20-30/hr for most places, but that'd be countered with slow times where you might get a 5-10/hr tip on smaller items.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...n-tips/385515/

I do agree most wouldn't want to lose tips. Not many other jobs where a high school educated person could pull in 2-3x minimum wage.
Quote:
Nowhere near that high, except at 5-star places
I would not consider Red Lobster 5 star... or TGIfridays, or applebees, or outback, or ruby Tuesdays, or olive garden, or carrabellas etc

our waitress was working 6 tables.... most people are there about 1 hr...maybe a liitle more

bill was over $100 for the two of us......the ""requested/recommended"" tip was 18-22% yes they actually put that on the bill nowadays in many places

so if the waitress is working 6 tables....and each of them is atleast 100 dollars...meaning the tips are atleast 20ish dollars.... that's 120 dollars in about an hr
Attached Thumbnails
Tipped workers invoke #MeToo in fight to raise minimum wage-screen-grab-45.jpg  

Old 03-13-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I would not consider Red Lobster 5 star... or TGIfridays, or applebees, or outback, or ruby Tuesdays, or olive garden, or carrabellas etc

our waitress was working 6 tables.... most people are there about 1 hr...maybe a liitle more

bill was over $100 for the two of us......the ""requested/recommended"" tip was 18-22% yes they actually put that on the bill nowadays in many places

so if the waitress is working 6 tables....and each of them is atleast 100 dollars...meaning the tips are atleast 20ish dollars.... that's 120 dollars in about an hr
$100 is a high assumption per couple though at a place like Red Lobster. We rarely spend more than $50 except special occasions. Usually closer to $35-40 (two entrees and waters or two entrees and a single drink). That'd be around a $6-7 tip. Average in families and everything else, I'd guess the average check is probably closer to $60-80, not $100.

Again, I'd say you need to look at the averages, not just busy hours on the weekend. When they're scheduled to be working at 3PM, they're probably not making more than $10/hr in tips, if that. Most of the time, they also need to tip out the bartenders, busboys, runners and at some places, the hostesses too. That can easily be 20-30% of their tips.

So while it's true that during busy times they could be pulling in $60-80/hr in tips, it's only going to be $40-55 or so after tipping out and then when you average time when it's $10/hr, it's nowhere near that high amount on average.

Also, doesn't include all the smaller places that don't get anywhere near that high in food prices. Family owned places, cafes, breakfast places, burger joints etc are all lower priced. Thats most likely how you get that number that the Atlantic article came to. Waiting 6 breakfast tables that have a tab of $20-30 isn't going to net you much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies