Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 03:53 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,149,541 times

Advertisements

What do you think? Pay for a park you pay tax dollars to?

Zinke: Too many people enter national parks for free | TheHill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 03:55 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,650,699 times
He needs the money to buy more expensive doors or furniture or upgraded flights

Old 03-13-2018, 03:57 PM

5,318 posts, read 2,145,321 times
What, not enough people are lining up to pay to mine in the parts of the Utah National Parks (and there were others if I remember) that were downsized?

Old 03-13-2018, 03:59 PM

33,153 posts, read 19,785,213 times
you title wording is misleading

from the article

saying they need to charge more because too many people get in for free, including veterans and the disabled.

"When you give discounted or free passes to elderly, fourth graders, veterans, disabled, and you do it by the carload, there's not a whole lot of people who actually pay at our front door," Zinke said. "So, we're looking at ways to make sure we have more revenue in the front door of our parks themselves."
Active military members and disabled veterans can receive a free annual pass but Zinke assured the Senate committee that he would not impose new fees on them.

Simply raising the park fees will not address the $11.7 billion National Parks maintenance backlog, Zinke said. The infrastructures inside the park need renovation and restoration.

they need money to maintain and improve the infrastructure..... makes sense to raise the rates a little

Old 03-13-2018, 04:08 PM

33,153 posts, read 19,785,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
you just confirmed the thread title. comprehension fail.
nope typing or interpretation fail on the OP

your title
states
Quote:
"Zinke: Too many people(Veterans and disabled) enter national parks for free"
your title implies, that he is saying ONLY vets (like myself) and disabled

but then in the article, which you could have cut that exact sentence, says :

Quote:
they need to charge more because too many people get in for free, including veterans and the disabled.
which has a different meaning... TOO MANY are getting in for free INCLUDING

Words do have meanings

English 101

Old 03-13-2018, 04:14 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
you just confirmed the thread title. comprehension fail.
No, he made it clear it was going to go on 4th graders and the elderly, not veterans.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:16 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,639,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
No, he made it clear it was going to go on 4th graders and the elderly, not veterans.
Oh, well that’s much better.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:19 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,166,793 times
It is by the car load,not individual. It is the drive in movie logic.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:27 PM

20,465 posts, read 9,920,725 times
Back on topic --

If it were ONLY veterans, the disabled and schoolchildren getting in free, I don't think that would be much of a problem. However, if fees need to be increased to pay for their maintenance, imo, that would be fine with me, but $70 or more per carload would put it out of the reach of most people, I think, and that would be a shame.

IMO, there is not much that our taxes pay for that many people actually get enjoyment from, and I think that the National Parks should be accessible to everyone for a reasonable fee. I would say that they should be absolutely free, except that many of the national parks are overcrowded even now in peak season.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:12 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,492,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you title wording is misleading

from the article

saying they need to charge more because too many people get in for free, including veterans and the disabled.

Yes, typical headline fraud from a lib.

The whole rationale for public parks was that they are what economists call a 'public good.' This is a product/service where transaction costs are so high that it cannot be offered by private industry. The classic example is the lighthouse. Lighthouses are needed, but there's no way to charge users for them. So they are a public good.

If it is possible to charge the users, which is often the case re national parks, it is better to have users pay instead of taxpayers. Why should some single mom in the inner city be taxed to pay for a national park in Utah that she'll never visit? Why not let her keep her money for her own needs?

This appears to me to be yet another in a series of good initiatives from the Trump Administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies