Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 01:48 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,155,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Plus I'm a RINO too...easy choice.

Plus, it's wonderful pissing off liberals.
So you like pissing yourself off?

Old 03-12-2018, 01:49 PM

18,998 posts, read 7,848,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
The D's could have run Bernie Sanders and won,
Now THAT'S funny!

Old 03-12-2018, 01:52 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,403,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
So you like pissing yourself off?
If I was a liberal I'd have myself committed

Old 03-12-2018, 01:52 PM

18,998 posts, read 7,848,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Even though he's not nearly as principled (and correct) as his dad, Rand would have been a thousand times better than Trump. He actually focuses on things that matter, like civil liberties, runaway government spending, and a non-interventionist foreign policy. Plus he's putting forth a bill to audit the Fed.
And not a thing he proposed, would have ever gotten enacted.

Trump is an expert at negotiating (i.e. twisting arms), and has got a lot of his stated agenda passed. And the country is far better off for it.

With Rand, we'd still be waiting for his first agenda item to be adopted. And waiting.....

Q: How many Libertarians does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: One. He designs the best light bulb you've ever seen, then holds it in the socket and waits for the world to revolve around him.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:04 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,168,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
To start with, the entire political paradigm has shifted. The D's supported a corporate NeoCon in Hillary Clinton & the R's supported a centrist in Donald Trump.

Trump offers enough red meat to the R's on immigration, the military, guns, to satisfy their core needs. He also offers tax cuts to the middle class, renegotiation of trade deals, massive infrastructure investment, rebuilding our manufacturing and other issues that former Democrats, now voting Independent really like. That's how he won.
Pretty good summery, that's how I see it was well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
I wanted a President that kept campaign promises.
Trump has been the best president in modern history at keeping campaign promises.

This is why he has been such a good president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
And not a thing he proposed, would have ever gotten enacted.

Trump is an expert at negotiating (i.e. twisting arms), and has got a lot of his stated agenda passed. And the country is far better off for it.

With Rand, we'd still be waiting for his first agenda item to be adopted. And waiting.....

Q: How many Libertarians does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: One. He designs the best light bulb you've ever seen, then holds it in the socket and waits for the world to revolve around him.
I like Rand, I'm hoping Trump will mentor him to be his successor.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:14 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,155,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
If I was a liberal I'd have myself committed
Better call the funny farm, because you voted for one.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:16 PM

4,332 posts, read 4,944,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Because he wasn't Hillary Clinton.
That's true for the general election. I did not vote for Trump in the Republican primary.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:17 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,571,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
I have a question for those of you who supported Donald Trump in the 2016. Why did you support Trump over a more conservative candidate like Ted Cruz or a more libertarian-leaning candidate like Rand Paul?

Trump is the very definition of a RINO and the past few weeks have proven that to be the case following a year in which he moved right.
Actually many of us did support other candidates until Trump had the nomination sealed. Then we were stuck with voting for Hillary which was a total nightmare or waste a vote on Johnson. Remember Ted Cruz was so far to the right that even some conservatives could not support him plus he just isn't liked. Then there was Rand Paul who was out of the race before any of us could even vote in the primaries. Remember some of us do not vote in the primaries until May or even June.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:18 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,730,372 times
Interesting subject, and somewhat complicated situation for I'm sure many more like me.

My thoughts....

First of all I don't like HRC, and that's an understatement. I don't trust her as far as I could throw her. Not that many other politicians are trustworthy...but she's in a league by herself.

Secondly, I like Rand Paul, but he wasn't on the ticket for the general election, so that's why I didn't vote for him.

Thirdly, I'll add the Trump does scare me to some degree. He's unpredictable, says wild things at times, and is unlike any President I've seen in my lifetime. However, my thought is that politics before Trump aren't working well at all. We're so polarized, so far apart, so dysfunctional, so hateful with people who view things differently than we do, that perhaps we need to break a few things first so we can perhaps reassemble things in a better way.

I understand that's only a theory of mine, mixed in with a good does of hope, but between the choices, Trump or HRC....it wasn't a even a contest for me. The democrats could have run pretty much anyone else, within reason, and I'd have voted for them....but HRC was not an option.

For instance, this Kim Jong Un meeting coming up. Having Trump at the wheel of this meeting scares me a bit, sure. But let's face it, in my opinion, talking is always better than not talking. I agreed with Obama on opening up Cuba....and no President before Trump has met with North Korea.....so let's try it. It took Trump to break all the "rules" to arrange a meeting with NK. I doubt HRC would be meeting with him.

I really like the idea that Trump isn't an ideologue to any particular party. Both parties suck in my opinion. I don't like either one of them. This whole idea that you have to be one or the other is baffling. I don't march to anyone's drummer except the one that makes sense to me on any individual issue. I refuse to be pigeonholed into anyone else's idea of the box I, or anyone else should be in. Trump is independent....he pisses off both parties! That's actually a highlight to me.

Scary times for sure, but we'll make it through, and good or bad, Trump will make it interesting.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:18 PM

833 posts, read 527,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
I have a question for those of you who supported Donald Trump in the 2016. Why did you support Trump over a more conservative candidate like Ted Cruz or a more libertarian-leaning candidate like Rand Paul?

Trump is the very definition of a RINO and the past few weeks have proven that to be the case following a year in which he moved right.
We didn't vote for a "RINO." We voted for a change agent. And we knew all along that could take many forms. The best of which was "an outsider who is not afraid to fling the middle finger to the establishment and Democrats."

Got it? Good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies