Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 12:07 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,979,933 times

Advertisements

Apologies if this link was previously posted on one of the many threads related to the Florida Mass Shooting. If so, it's likely buried in the gun debate.

Anyway, the article provides background inf about the family that gave Cruz shelter and further insight into Cruz.

Nikolas Cruz: 'We had this monster living under our roof and we didn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 12:33 PM

19,916 posts, read 12,439,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Apologies if this link was previously posted on one of the many threads related to the Florida Mass Shooting. If so, it's likely buried in the gun debate.

Anyway, the article provides background inf about the family that gave Cruz shelter and further insight into Cruz.

Nikolas Cruz: 'We had this monster living under our roof and we didn
Quote:
Cruz’s mom seemed to have cosseted him.
“He was very naïve. He wasn’t dumb, just naïve,” James said.
He didn’t know how to cook. They had to show him how to use a microwave. He didn’t know how to do his laundry and also had to learn to pick up after himself.
He didn’t drive but bought a bicycle and rode it to work at a nearby Dollar Tree.
Why how shocking that he was a coddled kid who was waited on by a single mom. Could not have predicted that.

Interesting that an ex-military intelligence officer didn't do a minimal social media screening of this teenager he allowed in his home with guns. That couple needs to question why their son was close friends with Cruz. All the adults here sound phenomenally naïve and quite reckless.

I know of people who did this, inviting "troubled" kids (often over 18) to their homes and it never ends well. Normally the kid just won't leave and needs to be evicted, or steals, takes drugs, damages property, etc. Stop the do-gooding and look out for yourself and your own family.

Cruz had five or six guns and a ton of knives - where did he get the money to buy them? Thousands of dollars! At 18 or 19 I could barely afford a new pair of jeans. Shame on anyone who helped this sick demented person by giving him money to buy arms. I am sure the story is even worse than we know as far as irresponsibility of all adults around him, from family to school to law enforcement. The few parties who were actually behaving as responsible people by reporting him were blown off by authorities. Shame.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:49 PM

19,963 posts, read 7,931,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Why how shocking that he was a coddled kid who was waited on by a single mom. Could not have predicted that.

Interesting that an ex-military intelligence officer didn't do a minimal social media screening of this teenager he allowed in his home with guns. That couple needs to question why their son was close friends with Cruz. All the adults here sound phenomenally naïve and quite reckless.

I know of people who did this, inviting "troubled" kids (often over 18) to their homes and it never ends well. Normally the kid just won't leave and needs to be evicted, or steals, takes drugs, damages property, etc. Stop the do-gooding and look out for yourself and your own family.

Cruz had five or six guns and a ton of knives - where did he get the money to buy them? Thousands of dollars! At 18 or 19 I could barely afford a new pair of jeans. Shame on anyone who helped this sick demented person by giving him money to buy arms. I am sure the story is even worse than we know as far as irresponsibility of all adults around him, from family to school to law enforcement. The few parties who were actually behaving as responsible people by reporting him were blown off by authorities. Shame.
Yeah it's pretty strange in itself for an 18-19 year old to buy probably a few thousand dollars in firearms and kives and not even have a car.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:53 PM

21,414 posts, read 20,032,982 times
They said they made him lock his guns up in a safe...

...that he had the key to.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:56 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,738,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
They said they made him lock his guns up in a safe...

...that he had the key to.
They didn't realize he had the key though. They thought they had the only key (or at least that's what I thought I read).

I think we will probably find that the now-deceased mother may have stood by and allowed the weapons collecting or may have even funded it.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:56 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,190,148 times
Sounds like he resembled this lovely specimen:

Warning: Do not watch with headphones if you have any love for your ears...

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 02-18-2018 at 01:46 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 01:30 PM

19,916 posts, read 12,439,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
They didn't realize he had the key though. They thought they had the only key (or at least that's what I thought I read).

I think we will probably find that the now-deceased mother may have stood by and allowed the weapons collecting or may have even funded it.
She wouldn't be the first.

As for the other family, if you let someone live in your house and insist that he must lock up his gun and not have a key, maybe you don't want that person living in your house. If I let someone who owns a gun live in my house, they are someone I trust with a gun. There are no gray areas here.

The first family he lived with after the mother died kicked him out and kept his younger brother. The brother was taken to a psych hospital soon after all this happened. He lost his mother a few months ago and now this, poor kid.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:35 PM

50,701 posts, read 47,566,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Sounds like he resembled this lovely specimen:

probably spends a lot on keyboards.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:38 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,190,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
probably spends a lot on keyboards.
Almost forgot to mention...do NOT wear headphones while watching this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies