Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 01:22 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,784,755 times

Advertisements

It's so easy to debunk hysteria arguments. Congrats to MN.
--------------
ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) — Minnesota set a record last year for the number of gun background checks the FBI conducted in the state.

More people are carrying guns than ever before, but the crime rate remains relatively low. WCCO’s Pat Kessler is looking at the numbers, and giving them a Reality Check.

We took a hard look at the numbers, and found: Minnesota has a high rate of gun ownership, and a relatively low rate of violent crime.

Minnesota’s violent crime rate hit a 50-year low in 2016, according to the FBI.

Minnesota Sets Record For Gun Permit Background Checks « WCCO | CBS Minnesota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 04:32 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,324,207 times
Honestly though I'm a libertarian who voted for Trump I would support a law requiring a 2 day safety course where live fire is required, the same type of courses people get to get enhanced conceal carry permits, in order to be able to possess and use a firearm once you hit age 18.

We issue licenses to drive. I know constitutionalists would argue with my position, but it seems like common sense to require a license for such tools.

With that said once the license is obtained, I would allow people to buy any and all forms of bullet weapons, suppressors, and actually enforce the existing gun laws so felons caught with guns go to prison for 5 years instead of being let out on signature bond where they commit more crimes.

Common sense? The left would argue with me saying they want them banned.. the right will tell me this is a slippery slope issue and that anyone who's 18 with no criminal record should be able to walk into any gun store and leave armed... the truth should be somewhere in the middle...

Old 02-16-2018, 04:47 PM

I don't think it would impact our murder rate, but I would support mandatory safety training. I would trade training for the removal of licensing. Licensing has never prevented a crime or prevented an accidental shooting.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:50 PM

20,894 posts, read 9,601,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
We took a hard look at the numbers, and found: Minnesota has a high rate of gun ownership, and a relatively low rate of violent crime...
When are people going to learn to discern the statistics they are reading? Sometimes I think it will never happen, at least to some people.

An increase in the # of background checks or an increase in the # of CC permits says little or nothing about the rate of gun ownership, and increases or decreases in gun ownership rates. Why? Because it could simply mean that a small # of people who already own guns decided to buy a bunch more, or have decided to get a carrying permit. Since this was 2016, maybe some conservatives decided to stockpile a bunch of guns because they thought Hilary was going to be elected, and they thought she might try to take away their guns. Or something like that.

The reality is that Minnesota is only a little above average in rates of gun ownership, ranked #17 with a rate of 36.7% of households owning guns.

BTW, Mississippi, Arkansas and Louisiana have very high gun ownership rates, but they also have violent crime rates through the roof. There's basically no relationship between gun ownership rates and violent crime rates.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
BTW, Mississippi, Arkansas and Louisiana have very high gun ownership rates, but they also have violent crime rates through the roof. There's basically no relationship between gun ownership rates and violent crime rates.
Which is exactly what I have been posting for years.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:06 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,082,642 times
What's interesting reading about gun ownership is that -- according to polls/surveys/census -- the number of households that have guns are way down but the number of guns is way up (over all not just in Minnesota). That suggests that gun owners have way more guns.

To say Minnesota's crime rate has gone down and gun ownership up so the two are related doesn't make it true.

In general aren't crime rates down overall and yet fewer household own more guns than before.

What does that even mean...nothing.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:14 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,217,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
What's interesting reading about gun ownership is that -- according to polls/surveys/census -- the number of households that have guns are way down but the number of guns is way up (over all not just in Minnesota). That suggests that gun owners have way more guns.

To say Minnesota's crime rate has gone down and gun ownership up so the two are related doesn't make it true.

In general aren't crime rates down overall and yet fewer household own more guns than before.

What does that even mean...nothing.

One of the best indicators if gun ownership is actually on the rise is the increase in the number of NICS background checks, that is a number the FBI does keep track of.

I know for my self and every other gun owner that I know, would not answer a poll, either by phone or otherwise to a person that they did not know if they owned any guns or not. At best you would get none of your business one way or the other, most likely your would just get click, as the phone is hung up.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:16 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,260,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Honestly though I'm a libertarian who voted for Trump I would support a law requiring a 2 day safety course where live fire is required, the same type of courses people get to get enhanced conceal carry permits, in order to be able to possess and use a firearm once you hit age 18.

We issue licenses to drive. I know constitutionalists would argue with my position, but it seems like common sense to require a license for such tools.

With that said once the license is obtained, I would allow people to buy any and all forms of bullet weapons, suppressors, and actually enforce the existing gun laws so felons caught with guns go to prison for 5 years instead of being let out on signature bond where they commit more crimes.

Common sense? The left would argue with me saying they want them banned.. the right will tell me this is a slippery slope issue and that anyone who's 18 with no criminal record should be able to walk into any gun store and leave armed... the truth should be somewhere in the middle...
Once again, the term common sense and guns and liberals are mutually exclusive.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:18 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,082,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
One of the best indicators if gun ownership is actually on the rise is the increase in the number of NICS background checks, that is a number the FBI does keep track of.

I know for my self and every other gun owner that I know, would not answer a poll, either by phone or otherwise to a person that they did not know if they owned any guns or not. At best you would get none of your business one way or the other, most likely your would just get click, as the phone is hung up.
Yes -- but That would be consistent over time.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:19 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,797,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It's so easy to debunk hysteria arguments. Congrats to MN.
--------------
ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) — Minnesota set a record last year for the number of gun background checks the FBI conducted in the state.

More people are carrying guns than ever before, but the crime rate remains relatively low. WCCO’s Pat Kessler is looking at the numbers, and giving them a Reality Check.

We took a hard look at the numbers, and found: Minnesota has a high rate of gun ownership, and a relatively low rate of violent crime.

Minnesota’s violent crime rate hit a 50-year low in 2016, according to the FBI.

Minnesota Sets Record For Gun Permit Background Checks « WCCO | CBS Minnesota
Yet - you haven't even presented any evidence of a causal relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies