Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 02:05 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,233,999 times

Advertisements

Ma Ying-jeou defeated Frank Hsieh, ending Democratic Progressive Party rule over Taiwan. Ma Ying-jeou has proposed opening up better relations with mainstream China than has been acceptable in Taiwan until now. Among his comments:

"From the day we're inaugurated on May 20 we will start work on direct air links,'' Ma told a press conference in Taipei. He's also promised to ease a ban on Taiwan companies investing more than 40 percent of their assets in China, a rule aimed at preventing money and jobs moving away from the island.

"Under my presidency, there will be peace and prosperity across the Taiwan Strait instead of confrontation and tension,'' Ma said in a March 14 interview. He's also pledged to sign a peace treaty with China as a secondary priority behind closer economic ties.

Bloomberg.com: Asia

Here is my prediction, Taiwan will have greater influence in changing mainland China than China will have in changing Taiwan. Between Taiwan and Hong Kong, I believe you will see a series of changes evolving mainland China away from a severely managed economy, and a greater acceptance of free markets. This was slowly happening anyway, and this will somewhat accelerate the process and modify the direction.

The big loser in this election in my view, will be Russia. Their ability to continue to influence mainland China economic decisions will wane over time, as Taiwan helps mainland China figure out how to have a more prosperous economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 01:35 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,230,542 times
Hi NewToCA

I know you have strong favorable feelings for Taiwan vs PRC. Have you been to either? I have Taiwan friends and PRC friends too. It seems to me that China and Taiwan has done nothing but grow closer over the last few decades based on my personal experience.

Greenspan said a month or so ago that he thinks China is the most capitalistic society on the planet or something to that effect. You are right that China is moving to a free market economy, but I think Taiwan will have little impact on China.

Remember, it is the Taiwanese people who have elected this pro China Taiwan relations President which means it is something the Taiwanese want.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:45 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,792,641 times
As soon as China wants Taiwan, they will take it, and there isnt a thing that we or anyone else do about it.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:43 AM

Bob, my understanding of both countries results from studying their political and economic structures, and analyzing their economic evolutions. I have been to neither, but have attended discussions with representatives from both countries, and have a rough understanding of their strengths and challenges.

I know that Taiwan has a major issue with historical linkage to China, and that many have relatives in both nations. I also know that much happens between the two economically, but through a rather awkward communications process that forces a pass through Hong Kong.

Economically, over the past couple of decades mainland China has slowly evolved away from a centralized planned economy to one that is more market based, and last year they passed a per capita GDP of $5,000, quite remarkable considering where they were a decade ago. Taiwan has had a fairly free market economy for an extended period of time, and has had significant progress in privatization of sectors which were historically state controlled, such as banking. Taiwan has a per capita GDP of about $30,000, and I believe China would like to learn about how to become more like Taiwan economically.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Bob, my understanding of both countries results from studying their political and economic structures, and analyzing their economic evolutions. I have been to neither, but have attended discussions with representatives from both countries, and have a rough understanding of their strengths and challenges.

I know that Taiwan has a major issue with historical linkage to China, and that many have relatives in both nations. I also know that much happens between the two economically, but through a rather awkward communications process that forces a pass through Hong Kong.

Economically, over the past couple of decades mainland China has slowly evolved away from a centralized planned economy to one that is more market based, and last year they passed a per capita GDP of $5,000, quite remarkable considering where they were a decade ago. Taiwan has had a fairly free market economy for an extended period of time, and has had significant progress in privatization of sectors which were historically state controlled, such as banking. Taiwan has a per capita GDP of about $30,000, and I believe China would like to learn about how to become more like Taiwan economically.
New

Like I said in another post, China has plenty of expertise available to them including expertise from Taiwan. The Chinese are not so backwards. Think Baidu, CITIC, China Petroleum. There is a huge intellectual exchange and plenty of Western consultants have been in China for many decades.

The Per Capita disparity arises because when the Nationalists looted what was left of the state treasure back in 49, they didn't bother to take a few hundred million starving war ravaged uneducated peasants with them who had been thrashed by an inexcusable Japanese occupation. Add to that Mao went literally insane over the 60s and 70s.

Discount again the fact that Taiwan had US backing for a free ride as long as they stood against China. Taiwan also did not have to fight in Vietnam and Korea.

You can't shoot someone in the leg and then ask them why they are limping.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:08 AM

You assume I am negative about mainland China. Actually, I think they have been doing a decent job of moving in the right direction both economically and politically. However, when you see the reaction to areas such as Tibet, the impression it leaves is that they still have quite a way to go.

My main concern though, is the macro economics and military direction of the country. I think this will help put another item between Russia and China.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
You assume I am negative about mainland China. Actually, I think they have been doing a decent job of moving in the right direction both economically and politically. However, when you see the reaction to areas such as Tibet, the impression it leaves is that they still have quite a way to go.

My main concern though, is the macro economics and military direction of the country. I think this will help put another item between Russia and China.
No, not negative, but you seem to have this Taiwan glow.

I don't follow your "help put another item between Russia and China." statement.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:24 AM

NewToCa

Another issue to look at is the Taiwan vs mainland cultural difference. The Taiwanese have for decades held a superiority complex. The PRC folks had always been considered lower class. The Nationalists were the banking class and politically fixed class that were able to send their kids to the States for school at the Ivys. There is a little known fraternity called the FF that has existed since 1910 that is based on this exclusive class which excluded the present mainlanders.

The divide is more than just money.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:13 AM

Regarding Russia, under Putin they have been regressing (in my view) back to a strong centrally managed economy, with strict controls over production and distribution. This is especially true concerning natural resources.

If China accelerates their movement towards a market based economy, and continues to rapidly grow their production capacity, the constriction on natural resources (such as fuel) will become a bit of an issue between the two countries.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:34 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,686,647 times
Prediction.... Nothing will happen yet, China will do as it always does to stay in power and spread communism.... it will wait until the United States is destroyed by greed and debt and then just take Taiwan when it is ready. I dont trust China and it's a shame to many stupid people do. Never trust a Commie.

Last edited by LibertyandJusticeforAll; 03-24-2008 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies