Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 06:19 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,525,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
In this case he had a criminal conviction and it involved spousal abuse and had be been reported by the Air Force he would have not been able to legally buy a gun. I agree on the mental health issue but in this case it came down to a criminal issue and the Air Force not doing their job under the Law.
You sure you're a liberal? You're speaking common sense!

That's where I lose respect for folks when talking about these issues. They believe they're all 1 in the same and go after the implement. Then pull the cute argument we don't want to confiscate your guns. They end that on a cliff hanger for if they were honest they would follow with...
But we do want to make sure that this/these firearms aren't available in the future so you can keep what you have it won't be confiscated. But you won't be able to sell it or pass it down...

The end result was the same.
The contributing factor(s) however, different.

Airforce dropped the ball. Guy lied committing a felony on a 4473. Had the Airforce done their part... the NICS check would have denied him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 06:22 PM

27,306 posts, read 16,305,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
How many more children are we going to sacrifice in the name of the Second Amendment?
I will give up my guns when liberalism is abolished.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:33 PM

9,884 posts, read 11,048,005 times
There is one thing, IMO, that must be asked before any "gun control" law is passed:
Will this new law mean that such a mass shooting will NEVER happen again?
If the proponents can not guarantee that result, the law should not be passed!
In the latest case, it appears the Air Force did not notify the proper authorities, so when the shooter lied on the background check form, it wasn't caught! Just like Carfax, the system can't work if the proper reports are not made!
So, the background check didn't prevent the shooting from happening.
In fact, many laws were broken, and none of them prevented the shooting!
Will a new law keep it from happening again? If not, why bother passing the law!

Old 11-06-2017, 06:47 PM

18,011 posts, read 15,725,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
How many more children are we going to sacrifice in the name of the Second Amendment?

People who harm children or anyone else with a firearm are criminals. Not people exercising their 2A rights. Many advocates for the 2A cite the need for personal arms in the context of a militia that can stand against government tyranny. While this is a part of the second, "security of a free state" entails much more. Defense against criminal tyranny being the lions share. Be this individual or group criminal oppression. A mugger or rapist,or a vicious criminal gang terrorizing a community.

The answer to your question is not pretty and there is no way to disguise it. Violent criminals kill people. Fighting back means spilling blood in return. It is a desirable thing to stop such an attack before innocent people are killed an/or injured but this is an unlikely outcome. There will be more people killed by violent criminals. Children and adults. But others will be saved by dedicated armed citizens. The criminal misuse of firearms has nothing to do with the second amendment.

The victims of murderers with guns are not being "sacrificed for its sake." They are being murdered. Disarming people like me, like my entire family and circle of friends and millions of others like us will not stop violent psychopaths and criminals from killing more people. Children and otherwise. All that will serve to accomplish is ensuring that these murders can take place with impunity. To coin a phrase, oft used by those who advocate for disarming the citizenry, "if it saves even one life." An armed citizen is in a far better position to save a life than an unarmed one. And they do. Every day.

But we do not hear about it. There will continue to be victims of criminal violence. But there will also be lives saved by armed citizens. No, it's not a pretty picture. But it's a fact. Truly, I wish dearly that I could say that an armed citizenry guarantees successful defense against all violent criminal attack. But I cannot. However our odds are better that at least some attacks will be stopped and lives saved if our citizenry is ready and able to respond to such attacks.

It really doesn't have anything to do with the 2A when t's down to brass tacks. It goes a LOT deeper than that. It's about defending our very right to live. The lives of those we love. We have the unwritten RIGHT to defend these lives and if that means we must use force of arms to do so we also have a right to the means to that force. Perhaps at least some of this might make sense to you. I don't know if violent crime has ever touched your life personally or via a loved one. I have experienced both. For my loved one,not responding to the attack with lethal force would have seen her brutally raped and probably murdered.

In the end, a combination of the effects of the attack and issues exacerbated by it claimed her life. I am thus rather immutable on the issue of our right to defend ourselves. I can feel no guilt or shame in the taking of a violent predators life. Without our rights to weapons more innocents will die without any fight to see otherwise. There are predators out here that are not after just our wallet, purse or our car. Given complete latitude they will take our very souls. And our only option is to have the means to deny them their goals. Again, not pretty, not heroic, but it is an absolute fact. Perhaps this clarifies how people like me feel and why.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:02 PM

57,398 posts, read 26,466,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What about the terror attack in Nice? Last I checked, this was done with a truck. New York City. The killer used a truck. Even though he had a gun, he was able to kill without a gun.
We can’t control trucks but we can control guns but we choose to accept the status quo.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
There is one thing, IMO, that must be asked before any "gun control" law is passed:
Will this new law mean that such a mass shooting will NEVER happen again?
If the proponents can not guarantee that result, the law should not be passed!
In the latest case, it appears the Air Force did not notify the proper authorities, so when the shooter lied on the background check form, it wasn't caught! Just like Carfax, the system can't work if the proper reports are not made!
So, the background check didn't prevent the shooting from happening.
In fact, many laws were broken, and none of them prevented the shooting!
Will a new law keep it from happening again? If not, why bother passing the law!
The standard isn’t to prevent every mass shooting, no law is perfect but the background checks certainly need improvement. Both this shooter and Dylan Roof should never have had access to guns.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:29 PM

2,965 posts, read 2,921,811 times
Do phones really need text capability? How many children die a year because of texting and driving? Phones should make phone calls period. What you can say in a text you can say on the phone...with your eyes on the road. Unbelievable texting, any texting,has been aloud to go on this long

Old 11-06-2017, 07:30 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,525,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We can’t control trucks but we can control guns but we choose to accept the status quo.
Really you sure about that?

100 bucks says an afternoon with scrap metal, a home made forge, and some basic tools anyone can build a gun.

Another 100 dollar bill says with household chemicals, hand made dies, old car batteries, tin, copper and brass, anyone can make their own ammo...

You really 100% positive you can control guns?

Not only can I prove you wrong, many others can too.

You your darling politicians who are clueless can't control anything. They just test ingenuity and determination.

Better get to calling Cuomo Gillibrand and Schumer boo hoo about banning scrap metal house hold cleaning agents and knowledge...

Old 11-06-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Really you sure about that?

100 bucks says an afternoon with scrap metal, a home made forge, and some basic tools anyone can build a gun.

Another 100 dollar bill says with household chemicals, hand made dies, old car batteries, tin, copper and brass, anyone can make their own ammo...

You really 100% positive you can control guns?

Not only can I prove you wrong, many others can too.

You your darling politicians who are clueless can't control anything. They just test ingenuity and determination.

Better get to calling Cuomo Gillibrand and Schumer boo hoo about banning scrap metal house hold cleaning agents and knowledge...
I will take my chances with proliferation of home grown guns. Besides the point was improvement of background checks.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:05 PM

73,232 posts, read 63,127,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Restricting gun access to the law abiding won't stop criminals from finding other ways to kill. I see a much bigger problem. We have a society with many violent people. No one seems to address that so easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies