Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 12:49 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,242,039 times

Advertisements

Chicago named the Among the Safest Cities in the World - NY Post

The study is conducted by the Economist Intelligence Unit and ranks the top 60 safest cities in the world. Only three US cities made the list's top 20, including Chicago.

Now, you may wonder. The other two cities must be from down-to-earth, peaceful, Bible-thumbing Red states right??! Must be Dallas, Pheonix, etc, right??? Wrong. They are blue states cities San Francisco and Los Angeles.

But how can that be? We all keep hearing how dangerous Chicago is!!! This can't be!!

Fact is, Chicago has certain areas that you want to avoid; but they also have many many safe and gorgeous neighborhoods. The right-wing, as typical, only cares about the Chicago that is south of 59th St. and they shout/repeat until you think all of Chicago is like the area south of 59th St.

And this is one point that I made before - Chicago is still much safer than most areas in red states. Essentially the worst of the Blue is still better than the best of the Red. This is what many of us need to remember.

Click below for the Business Intelligence Unit's link.
Safe Cities 2017 - The Economist Intelligence Unit - sponsored by NEC

Last edited by beb0p; 10-20-2017 at 01:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 12:51 PM

526 posts, read 386,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
And this is one point that I made before - Chicago is still much safer than all of the worst red states areas in America. Essentially the worst of the Blue is still better than the best of the Red. This is what many of us need to remember.
They have very curious ways to rank the cities. They used the following four criteria, and only these four; "Digital Security", "Health Security", "Personal Security", and "Infrastructure Security". I'm not sure what all of those measure?

edit: Ah, I see how they did it;

https://www.bisnow.com/national/news...he-world-80299
Chicago may be home to escalating gun violence, but its efforts in the realm of digital security boosted its ranking. The report placed particular emphasis on a cybersecurity initiative that was announced earlier this year and will provide training through local colleges and the Department of Defense, the Post reports.

The city was notably absent from the personal security ranking, however, which factored in both terrorism and urban violence.

From the White Paper on this study; http://safecities.economist.com/safe-cities-index-2017
"America’s failing infrastructure is reflected in its cities’ rankings: No US city makes it into the top ten in this category and only San Francisco appears in the top 20. The top ten cities in this category are either in Europe (Madrid, Barcelona, Stockholm, Amsterdam and Zurich) or Asia-Pacific (Singapore, Wellington, Hong Kong, Melbourne and Sydney).
However, the US performs well in digital safety: Of the cities in the top ten in this category, four are North American (Chicago, San Francisco, New York and Dallas)."

The study also notes that..."In general, while the Safe Cities Index measures relative rather than absolute safety".

Lol, this study counts Rio de Janiero as being safe. Why? Because they scored high on the Digital Safety scale. What gave them a high score? Well, they developed an app, called "Fogo Cruzado" meaning cross fire. It alerts people with the app where gunfire is currently happening in the city. Forget the gunfire, that's of no issue in a "safe" study, but focus on the app that makes you know where the gunfire areas are so you can avoid them. I award you 1 million points.

OP - Skip the article about the study and go read the actual study itself containing raw data that can be downloaded and analyzed yourself. Then...come back and delete this thread if you have any sense of shame or self worth.

Pathetic.

Last edited by LesserSeneca; 10-20-2017 at 01:10 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 12:57 PM

14,485 posts, read 11,293,665 times
"Chicago Named One of the Safest Cities in the World"

Ask a black person in Auburn, Gresham, Austin or Garfield Park how they feel about this. Or do we not care what those people think?

Old 10-20-2017, 12:58 PM

13,656 posts, read 20,791,239 times
Another Fact that will Make Right-Wing's Head Spin - Chicago Named One of the Safest Cities in the World

Right Wingers believe that Black lives matter.

Apparently you do not.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
"Chicago Named One of the Safest Cities in the World"

Ask a black person in Auburn, Gresham, Austin or Garfield Park how they feel about this. Or do we not care what those people think?

Yes, we should only focus on those neighborhoods and ignore everything else.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Right Wingers believe that Black lives matter.

Did you manage to write that with a straight face?

Old 10-20-2017, 01:05 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,330,006 times
A great example of people on the right just reading off flash-cards when they "debate".

Old 10-20-2017, 01:07 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,308,248 times
Quote:
Chicago named the Among the Safest Cities in the World - NY Post

The study is conducted by the Economist Intelligence Unit and ranks the top 60 safest cities in the world. Only three US cities made the list, including Chicago.

Now, you may wonder. The other two cities must be from down-to-earth, peaceful, Bible-thumbing Red states right??! Must be Dallas, Pheonix, etc, right??? Wrong. They are blue states cities San Francisco and Los Angeles.

But how can that be? We all keep hearing how dangerous Chicago is!!! This can't be!!

Fact is, Chicago has certain areas that you want to avoid; but they also have many many safe and gorgeous neighborhoods. The right-wing, as typical, only cares about the Chicago that is south of 59th St. and they shout/repeat until you think all of Chicago is like the area south of 59th St.

And this is one point that I made before - Chicago is still much safer than most areas in red states. Essentially the worst of the Blue is still better than the best of the Red. This is what many of us need to remember.

Click below for the Business Intelligence Unit's link.
Safe Cities 2017 - The Economist Intelligence Unit - sponsored by NEC

...another reason why you should never get these "studies" seriously....I can find a way to prove to you that Mogadishu is the safest city in the world.....

Old 10-20-2017, 01:08 PM

526 posts, read 386,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
A great example of people on the right just reading off flash-cards when they "debate".
I'm reading the actual study its only 32 pages, here's the link. I'm not referencing the "article" the OP posted.

I've posted my thoughts, with references in the second post on this thread.

How do you like those "flash-cards"?

Old 10-20-2017, 01:08 PM

13,656 posts, read 20,791,239 times
Quote:
Did you manage to write that with a straight face?

I might ask the same about you and this thread, but I already know the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies