Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 12:14 AM

1,196 posts, read 838,771 times

Advertisements

Gov fed, state and private pension funds are invested in corporate stocks and bonds so workers pensions depend on corporations staying profitable so their stocks and bonds payoff.

So why do liberals want to destroy corporations with regs, taxes etc forcing them out of the country.

Libs keep whining corps are not human; they actually are. They are made of stock and bond holders which are people, gov. pension funds, etc.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 05:38 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
Tom1944 ------

You are correct about the Detroit pensions surviving through the court. But the thing to keep in mind is that in the future we will see a chain-reaction, systemic crash of many pension systems, unlike the isolated one in Detroit. That's the specific detail that will change everything.

And I keep saying actually look at those state budgets and assets. They have enough to actually fund the pensions if forced to because they try to default.

They are spending on things that if they attempt a pension or bond default they would not be allowed to spend on.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:47 AM

45,207 posts, read 26,424,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
And I keep saying actually look at those state budgets and assets. They have enough to actually fund the pensions if forced to because they try to default.

They are spending on things that if they attempt a pension or bond default they would not be allowed to spend on.
So pay people to sit on the porch instead of fixing pot holes? Sounds reasonable.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
There are so many non-union employees covered by pensions (more than union employees) that this is not a public union issue alone. Bringing the union into this really means you do not really understand the pensions and how and when they started and how they work.
I'm not the one that brought the unions into this discussion and my only comment about the Union was:

Quote:
I don't think you get it. That union is not going to protect you if the state or local government can't pay the bill.
Context and reading comprehension Tom, they are important.

Last edited by thecoalman; 09-21-2017 at 06:09 AM..

Old 09-21-2017, 05:55 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
Gov fed, state and private pension funds are invested in corporate stocks and bonds so workers pensions depend on corporations staying profitable so their stocks and bonds payoff.

So why do liberals want to destroy corporations with regs, taxes etc forcing them out of the country.

Libs keep whining corps are not human; they actually are. They are made of stock and bond holders which are people, gov. pension funds, etc.......
If corporations were human, they would serve jail time when caught.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
And I keep saying actually look at those state budgets and assets.
NJ for example could sell their beaches to private interests.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:09 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Detroit pensions did not fail
They've been reduced and they are on track to crash and burn.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
NJ for example could sell their beaches to private interests.
Or the turnpike and other roads

They also have $21 billion is discretionary funds out of the 35 billion they raise in taxes

Old 09-21-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm not the one that brought the unions into this discussion and my only comment about the Union was:

Context and reading comprehension Tom, they are important.

My comment was not solely directed to you it was informational because public unions are constantly referenced in these pension threads

My comment was not solely directed to you it was informational because public unions are constantly referenced in these pension threads

Old 09-21-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So pay people to sit on the porch instead of fixing pot holes? Sounds reasonable.

You cannot just walk away from paying contracted compensation and use those funds for something else.

You hire someone to paint your house and when it is time to pay him do you say sorry I bought a new car plus I want to give my girlfriend some money so I cannot pay you as promised.

Does the painter have recourse or should he say oh that is okay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies