Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 07:46 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,623,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I read 'Gone With the Wind' when I was a kid, mainly because I was just a bookworm & read everything from cereal boxes to whatever was my 'obsession' of the moment.

Also saw the movie however felt it was more for those with an antebellum South fetish.

Was unfamiliar with this part of our shared history & then somewhat fascinated by:
The True Story of the ‘Free State of Jones’
A new Hollywood movie looks at the tale of the Mississippi farmer who led a revolt against the Confederacy

The True Story of the

Another reality-based film. Scenes from this one 'haunt'. The trailer contains a very short clip of a scene of 2 little girls, that's 1 of them:

I did that, too. I would even read the backs of the shampoo bottles when my mom didn't want me to take a book into the bathtub.

I have got to see that movie. Why have I not heard of it before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 08:01 AM

4,885 posts, read 5,040,075 times
What's next, "The Wizard of Oz", with it's lack of diversity and depiction of little people?

Old 08-27-2017, 08:06 AM

915 posts, read 1,632,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's insensitive to play "Gone with the Wind" with Harvey ashore in Texas.
I sure hope they don't replace it with "The Perfect Storm" (with Harvey ashore). Using the word "perfect" connotes "approval" and thus sounds like a judgmental statement and possibly implies an Act of G-D and thus pushes religion and condemnation on children that may not have the wherewithal to avoid exposure to such narrow indoctrination.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:07 AM

34,366 posts, read 18,748,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I have got to see that movie. Why have I not heard of it before?
What? What? It may be because the movie came out in 1939, same year as The Wizard of Oz. Pre WWII, and then everything changed. It is an early color film also. I know some younger people who won't watch anything is black and white. It is a shame.

Gone with the Wind is essentially about women's "empowerment" so the libs should love it? Right?

Old 08-27-2017, 08:12 AM

17,423 posts, read 11,429,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
As I've been saying, what next, burning books?
Yes that's next on the list. Any kind of entertainment with any historical accuracy is off limits. Gone With the Wind was written only decades after the war and has a lot of factual things in it as far as how the South before the war, the war itself and slavery. Margaret Mitchel wrote the book from stories told to her from people or their direct descendants that were alive during that period as a background.
At the premier, there were still a few civil war veterans alive who attended the grand opening of the movie. How stupid that we as a nation have become so politically correct that history can't no longer be shown because some snowflakes might be offended by the truth.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:15 AM

51,729 posts, read 26,022,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

Gone with the Wind is essentially about women's "empowerment" so the libs should love it? Right?
Good grief. What are you talking about?

Gone with the Wind was not about women's empowerment.

Throughout the story, women were at the mercy of men and their foolish decisions and actions.

Women did what they could to carve out a place for themselves, keep body and soul together such as they could.

But there was mighty little empowerment unless you count Scarlett running the lumber mill that her husband owned.

GWTW was an ode to the antebellum south, where women's empowerment was hardly a feature.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:20 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,623,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What? What? It may be because the movie came out in 1939, same year as The Wizard of Oz. Pre WWII, and then everything changed. It is an early color film also. I know some younger people who won't watch anything is black and white. It is a shame.

I am 52 years old, and it was not GWTW that I have yet to see. -_-

Please read more carefully.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:20 AM

51,729 posts, read 26,022,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Yes that's next on the list. Any kind of entertainment with any historical accuracy is off limits. Gone With the Wind was written only decades after the war and has a lot of factual things in it as far as how the South before the war, the war itself and slavery. Margaret Mitchel wrote the book from stories told to her from people or their direct descendants that were alive during that period as a background.
At the premier, there were still a few civil war veterans alive who attended the grand opening of the movie. How stupid that we as a nation have become so politically correct that history can't no longer be shown because some snowflakes might be offended by the truth.
In the first place, it was not the truth. It is fiction based on information passed down by Confederate sympathizers.

Just because the Orpheum Theater decided they didn't want to show a racist movie that slyly supports the KKK, does not mean that it is not available for viewing.

In fact, if you have Amazon prime you can watch it for free.

Go for it.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:21 AM

34,366 posts, read 18,748,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Good grief. What are you talking about?

Gone with the Wind was not about women's empowerment.

Throughout the story, women were at the mercy of men and their foolish decisions and actions.

Women did what they could to carve out a place for themselves, keep body and soul together such as they could.

But there was mighty little empowerment unless you count Scarlett running the lumber mill that her husband owned.

GWTW was an ode to the antebellum south, where women's empowerment was hardly a feature.
Scarlet O'Hara's quote, as she grabs the dirt of Tara:

Quote:
As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!
She uses whatever means she can to become rich again. Including running a business, and being ruthless. Yes, she was a weasel in many ways, but a strong one. She never gives up.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:21 AM

6,982 posts, read 4,007,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Civil liberties and free market capitalism.

Maybe growing up in NY and being surrounded by cityiots and traveling throughout the northeast, there's no such thing unless they were around my age when Kennedy was president...

I do know the liberals in NY sure do love welfare programs as a replacement for careers, higher taxes for those who want to work, absolutely hate anyone who is "overtly" religious (lest we offend atheists or other religions rather than say oh I'm sorry Happy Haunikka or Merry Christmas like decent human beings...) and if you own a firearm... Oh boy. You are public enemy number one. You don't need one.
When you say "NY" are you referring to the city or the state? There is actually a lot of difference both politically and socially between NYC and upstate NY. Lot of people up here hate the Safe Act, for example. Abd we're not happy about Thruuway tolls possibly going up to help pay for the "new" Tappan Zee Bridge, a bridge most upstaters will never even use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies