Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How has immigration affected your community?
Immigration has improved my community a lot/give me more 44 32.35%
It's been good but I wouldn't want more 5 3.68%
It's been somewhat bad and I'd like to see less 14 10.29%
Immigration has made my community worse/wish it was totally gone 50 36.76%
Haven't noticed a difference or no opinion 23 16.91%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 01:17 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,508,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
If one of my grandparents hadn't immigrated illegally, I wouldn't exist.

Forgive me if I'm a little conflicted - people who say that illegal immigration is a national scourge that should be totally eliminated are in effect telling me that I have no right to exist.
Remember I'm not asking anyone what their moral position is. If someone doesn't believe in immigration at all, but in his own experience has not seen immigrants in his community, that person should choose "Haven't noticed a difference" in the poll. I want to hear experiences, not policy arguments.

Some immigrants do think immigration is great but their area shouldn't take anymore because it's already oversaturated. Fair? IDK, not for me to say, but I want to know your opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 01:18 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,575,913 times
My ex-wife was from Poland, ex-gfs from Costa Rica and Ireland, respectively, and current gf is from Pakistan. I like being with exotic women. I've learned so much about other cultures and cuisines, and have picked up decent Polish and Spanish and now some Urdu. I say keep 'em coming.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:23 PM

31,312 posts, read 20,910,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
My states something like 96% white...

I'd say if you don't like immigrants you should move here since we are having a lack of population issue but I'm not sure a bunch more angry white people would really fix it.
What does skin color have to do with immigration?

Old 08-05-2017, 01:52 PM

76,959 posts, read 48,103,591 times
I don't have a problem with immigrants. I am an immigrant myself, and married an immigrant, and we use immigrants in our renovation projects (as well as Americans). They keep the competition healthy by offering more affordable prices. If you are pro-business, you are probably also pro-immigration.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:04 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,658,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Remember I'm not asking anyone what their moral position is. If someone doesn't believe in immigration at all, but in his own experience has not seen immigrants in his community, that person should choose "Haven't noticed a difference" in the poll. I want to hear experiences, not policy arguments.

Some immigrants do think immigration is great but their area shouldn't take anymore because it's already oversaturated. Fair? IDK, not for me to say, but I want to know your opinion!
I think you may be hoping for an impossibly nuanced bit of thinking for some.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:14 PM

18,613 posts, read 7,519,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Do you really think americans want to clean your house and do your yard work
I know it.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:31 PM

24,981 posts, read 17,742,588 times
I didn't answer the poll because I need to know if we are not intermingling Lawful Immigration with Illegal Immigration.

I am all for Legal immigration. My wife immigrated legally from Ireland years before I met her so I am happy with lawful immigration.

Now for the bad. We had a rental house with an apartment in the basement. The house was rented to a group of hard working Brazillian guys. One day one approached us and asked if his "cousin" could rent the basement apartment. We agreed on a price and didn't think about checking the guys immigration status and guess what in the few months he was there he did a number on the apartment and since he was illegal he disappeared. The last we heard of him was he was serving time for trying to smuggle people into the country.

On a less than personal note there are many local stories on the news and in the papers that illegal aliens are committing crimes and dealing drugs. A few months back outside Boston the Police rounded up about 40 drug dealers and 8 of them were illegal. Another illegal made national news when he was once deported, allowed to sneak back in and he murdered to doctors in their apartment in a robbery gone bad. The Doctors were both Legal Immigrants.

There are so many stories like this it makes one wonder why the Libs are so keen on protecting illegal aliens.

I am for Legal Immigration
I am against Illegal aliens

Old 08-05-2017, 02:42 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,791,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Sorry, but I have never seen any americans cleaning offices or apartment buildings. It's a BS job that no one wants.
Americans would do it if it wasn't for illegals who are willing to do those jobs for 2 bucks per hour.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:45 PM

35,939 posts, read 21,406,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
What does skin color have to do with immigration?
don't see them going after the canadians and polacks... or mr T saying one stinking thing about their misbehaviours

Old 08-05-2017, 03:52 PM

19,963 posts, read 7,974,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Truth

Immigration is the only reason that our population is growing at all. Why is that important? Fewer young workers entering the labor market means fewer taxpayers supporting an increasing number of retirees.

Does. Not. Compute.
And so by that reasoning you're going to need an ever increasing immigrant stream and constant population growth as the previous immigrant population ages. That follows the logic of a pyramid scheme that will collapse sooner than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies