Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 05:16 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,876,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008;48451155[COLOR=Red
]If Comey was so disturbed by Trump's hope that he 'would let this thing go" regarding Flynn's investigation, why did he not ask Trump to clarify his statement.[/color] He is a lawyer, used to precise language. He could have said, "Mr.President are you asking me to stop the investigation?" instead of taking notes in his car about his feelings?
Why did he respond every time Trump called him in to speak if he thought it was improper contact? He could have advised him politely that this would not appear proper.
His leaking the memo is a big stain on his story. He is as bigly egotistic as Trump is.
I wonder hos Hillary is taking this - glad to see Trump squirm or seeing Comey getting fired the way he was.
They all deserve each other.

Regardless of how smart we are, all of us have been caught off guard by something someone has said to us. It has happened to me, and later, after I had time to digest what had happened, I had a million things I should have said, but didn't think of at the time.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and I bet if you were put in that situation you would have been caught flatfooted too. Easy for us to judge what Comey could or could not have done, but we were not there and were not put in that positon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 05:24 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,876,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Trump and Comey

It's VERY straightforward.

Comey: has the law on his side

tRump: has Putin on his side

I report. You decide.

And beyond that, one of the two men is lying, so who to believe ?

1) A known pathological liar, who we can produce videos after videos of him saying one thing one day and then lying about it the next day. A man who lies even when he doesn't have to, a man who has a horrible reputation for distorting the truth or outright lying ?

or,

2) A man who has never been known to do anything but tell the truth, even when it would be easier for him to lie. A man who has the respect from people on both sides of the aisle, and who was willing to take that stand and supply only the hard facts, with no embellishment to make his story look better.

I'll put my money on man number two.

Oh, and BTW, you will NEVER see Donald Trump take that oath and appear. Even he knows that if he lies under oath it would be the final nail in his coffin. He will cite lawyer advice or something else, but he will never take that oath.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:26 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,456,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
His leaking the memo caused the special counsel to be assigned. That was his intent and that is the end result. It was legal to leak the memo.

Trump is very upset about the leak because Comey Trumped Trump.

When Trump gets upset, he loses his cool and makes dumb comments. Today he agreed 100% to testify under oath. This is most hilarious because Trump cannot even stand in front the journalists to answer questions. Instead, he avoids them and attacks their character. Now he's gonna be asked to sit in a chair and be forced to answer questions under oath.

His die hard backer are still attempting to spin this into a positive. If they were so happy with how things went, then why continue to attack Comey's character. Cuz Trump's in a world of trouble and even the spinners know this is the truth. They just don't want to admit it. But everyone knows - including Trump and all of congress and all of Trump's staff.
I guess you like living in a police state run by the FBI.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:32 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,703,741 times
My perspective comes from 30+ years as a federal agent and a boss.

Note that Comey leaked through a cutout that he had prepared Memos for Record (MFRs) regarding his meetings with Trump only after Trump tweeted that he might have tapes. I would not have leaked it through a cutout; I'd have marched to the end of my driveway and held a press conference for the media camped out there to announce I had MFRs. Well, to each his own. He has a wife and kids to think about.

You have to understand the concept of an MFR. You write one when your boss or someone who thinks they are important (like a congressman, general, White House staffer) puts you in an untenable position. I've written a couple dozen of them in my career. You memorialize the conversation as you understood it so that when the other side tries to fire you (or worse), you have a record of what really happened.

When Trump tweeted that he might have tapes of the conversations, I could see the weight of the world coming off Comey's shoulders ("Lordy, I hope there are tapes..."). If accurate recordings actually exist of the conversations, I have no doubt that they would comport with Comey's recollections, not Trumps allegations.

Been there, done that, have the T-shirt (battle scars).

Old 06-16-2017, 05:44 PM

33,589 posts, read 18,205,953 times
The first meeting with Trump , Comey asked everyone to leave the room.. Next time Trump met with Comey in his office, Trump asked everyone to leave the room. Trump must of felt Comey wanted to talk to him one on one when Comey talked to Trump.

So what is the big deal. Comey set the protocol. He spoke of it in his 6 page letter.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:49 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,825,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The first meeting with Trump , Comey asked everyone to leave the room.. Next time Trump met with Comey in his office, Trump asked everyone to leave the room. Trump must of felt Comey wanted to talk to him one on one when Comey talked to Trump.

So what is the big deal. Comey set the protocol. He spoke of it in his 6 page letter.
The first time was a favor to Trump due to the nature of the material. When Comey asked Sessions not to leave him alone with Trump, Sessions, Comey's boss, should have stepped in.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:51 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,923,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

If the first time I met you was in the bathroom alone, would you assume that every time we meet in the future would need to also be in the bathroom alone? Just setting protocol, right?

Old 06-16-2017, 05:53 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,291,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Regardless of how smart we are, all of us have been caught off guard by something someone has said to us. It has happened to me, and later, after I had time to digest what had happened, I had a million things I should have said, but didn't think of at the time.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and I bet if you were put in that situation you would have been caught flatfooted too. Easy for us to judge what Comey could or could not have done, but we were not there and were not put in that positon.
I agree. Sometimes you are so stunned by something so incredibly inappropriate that was said or done in a setting in which it was not expected that you do not immediately react. I definitely have been in that position.

Comey is a very respectful aboveboard guy used to dealing with respectful aboveboard presidents. To have an unethical mafioso type of comment thrown at him in the WH could definitely have shaken him.

For him to ask Sessions to not leave him alone with the president indicates that it made him so uncomfortable that he was not willing to be put in that position again.

This will certainly come out in the investigation as Mueller questions others who Trump may have attempted to influence. Then it will be easier to compare reactions.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:57 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,456,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
My perspective comes from 30+ years as a federal agent and a boss.

Note that Comey leaked through a cutout that he had prepared Memos for Record (MFRs) regarding his meetings with Trump only after Trump tweeted that he might have tapes. I would not have leaked it through a cutout; I'd have marched to the end of my driveway and held a press conference for the media camped out there to announce I had MFRs. Well, to each his own. He has a wife and kids to think about.

You have to understand the concept of an MFR. You write one when your boss or someone who thinks they are important (like a congressman, general, White House staffer) puts you in an untenable position. I've written a couple dozen of them in my career. You memorialize the conversation as you understood it so that when the other side tries to fire you (or worse), you have a record of what really happened.

When Trump tweeted that he might have tapes of the conversations, I could see the weight of the world coming off Comey's shoulders ("Lordy, I hope there are tapes..."). If accurate recordings actually exist of the conversations, I have no doubt that they would comport with Comey's recollections, not Trumps allegations.

Been there, done that, have the T-shirt (battle scars).
Having written memos to the file myself, I get what you are saying.

But, they may comport with Comey's recollections, while his comprehension/interpretation of what Trump said is way off.

Its also disturbing that despite Comey's "boy scout" rep there are now serious issues with his testimony after Sessions testified.

First, that he wasn't made aware of the scope of Sessions recusal from all things Russia, when there is an email trail to show he was made aware.

Second, his testimony that Sessions didn't respond to his plea not to leave him alone with the pres again, when Sessions disputes that and has a witness in his Chief of Staff.

Plus, I don't buy Comey not being able to talk back to the Pres.

As a former fed, political appointees often ask for things to be done that are either inappropriate or illegal....sometimes intentionally, and sometimes out of ignorance. Its very easy to push back on them. All you have to tell them is its inappropriate, would be illegal, that the headline wouldn't look good......

Old 06-17-2017, 01:18 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,142,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
And beyond that, one of the two men is lying, so who to believe ?

1) A known pathological liar, who we can produce videos after videos of him saying one thing one day and then lying about it the next day. A man who lies even when he doesn't have to, a man who has a horrible reputation for distorting the truth or outright lying ?

or,

2) A man who has never been known to do anything but tell the truth, even when it would be easier for him to lie. A man who has the respect from people on both sides of the aisle, and who was willing to take that stand and supply only the hard facts, with no embellishment to make his story look better.

I'll put my money on man number two.

Oh, and BTW, you will NEVER see Donald Trump take that oath and appear. Even he knows that if he lies under oath it would be the final nail in his coffin. He will cite lawyer advice or something else, but he will never take that oath.
Trump is arrogant enough to take that oath and lie his ass off, because I'm sure he believes he would can away with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies