Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 07:25 PM

25,098 posts, read 9,835,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Simple, to the point and absolutely correct. Even in a two income family you will find the woman to take on most of the nurturing roles even if the man does more of the household chores. Men are not good at nurturing and raising babies. Feeding, dealing with illness, bathing and diapering are all done best with the gentle loving hand of a mother..
That’s because society expects it to be that way.

There’s no natural law that says women are better at nurturing than men. My dad was a lunatic, but his dad was a lunatic and as you can see, these transgenerstional gender roles of men not being expected to take care of their kids makes men believe they shouldn’t take care of their kids.

But the child who is raised without a father, must step up to the plate, and not make the same mistakes his father made. Lebron and Obama are a great example, both have fathers that didn’t give one crap about them, yet both are great fathers as we know.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:27 PM

2,767 posts, read 1,601,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Yes, it has been that way in nature for millions of years. Mothers are more nurturing due to instinct. That's not to say that men can't help, but the primary role holder should be the mother.
You're not permitted, today, to point out this obvious fact of nature.

Of course fathers have a role to play in child-rearing. But, in nature, for most animals and insects, Mother nurtures and rears the offspring.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:33 PM

923 posts, read 500,053 times
Depends on the women. Most of the Leftist women who post here should have restraining orders on them keeping them away from all children. I'm sure their own feel the same way.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:35 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,300,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post

Workplaces could go a long way in correcting this by offering flexibility so employees could take care of parenting and other responsibilities while still giving their all to work. This flexibility would apply to everyone, not just parents, people without children also have their own needs. In the majority of workplaces rigid standards are just a holdover from the past and not actually needed to create a successful business.
And that requires actively involved parents being in the workforce. Not just moms, but also dads who are willing to pass up a promotion because they won’t see their kids as much, or taking their turn picking up a sick child from school, or to an orthodontist appointment, or take a long lunch so they don’t miss [insert whatever] day at school. As long as workplaces are run almost exclusively by people who have a wife at home to handle all of that, nothing will change.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:47 PM

30,687 posts, read 24,105,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
According to opinions i ve been reading in other threads in this forum, it seems that people here seem to assume WOMEN are responsible for raising kids for the most part. They might have a job or work few hours but they expect them to do the most part of the raising. They assume its gonna be like that. I get it, this is a highly conservative forum, and those are for the traditional values of family, etc.

But if you think like that, can you justify it? Is it from a biological point of view? Purely social? Why?
Yes, as the 2nd poster said, the courts still think that way, consistently awarding the mother figure more than the father figure. Many fathers have been hurt by the court system because of it.

TYPICALLY, (not always), mothers are more nurturing than fathers. They are especially valuable in the first years of a child's life, (meaning raising them). I believe that both parents need to be involved. Dad can teach their sons things that moms simply cannot, because females do. not. think. like. men. no matter how much they pretend that they do. A father figure is extremely important for the self esteem of a child, and fathers tend to be (not always) more interested in results over feelings: What are you doing in school? How are your grades? Whereas moms tend to be (not always) more interested in nurturing (feelings) over results: How do you feel about (whatever subject)?

Both parents are necessary. Single mom households have caused a rise in many problems, which they don't like to admit, but it's facts.

I won't say that moms should spend more time than dads raising their kids, but I do think it's not a bad idea in the early years if the mom stays home. A lot of them think they will go back to work after having their kid, and then a lot of them don't want to go back to work after having their kid. I don't think they should be shamed into wanting to stay home with their kid.

I just think someone should be staying home with the kid instead of dropping them off to have someone else raise them while both parents work.

"But most families can't afford to have someone stay home..."

Then don't have kids until someone can. This latchkey kid thing is not good. A parent needs to be available to that kid at any time no matter which one it is.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:47 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,410,181 times
Do you think that women should spend more time raising their kids than men?

The above is simply a silly question ~~

Sure some women take the bulk of child rearing.. BUT since I can remember.. and I'm pushing 70.. The men have been EDU-CATED that they too have to have hands on inputs.. take charge..do some housework.. clean up after the kids.. make sure they are Cared about..NOT just being Paid for!!

"Nuclear Family" is NOT like it was back in the50'sand'60's.. Once women had to go to work to make ends meet..It became a " Team Effort"!! Boy's sure do need female influences..JUST likefemalesneed male influences.. BUT the bottom line is always to mentors your kids.. hold then accountable... or praise therefor GOOD and positive decision... ( BTW~~ Thats what mom's did before necessity for women had to WORK outside of the home to MAKE ends meet!! )

You cannot compare what lower class or middle class for that matter.. Back when I grew up..Only one breadwinner was necessary.. Come the 70's- 80's BOTH HAD to work to make ends meet..

Of course some men are more nurturing..as some women are too... SO just incase, OP believes it's the Women's responsibly?? Get your head out of the PAST!! It's 2018.. not 1950!!

BTW~~ I raised 2 boys ( age 4 & 8) as a single mom..and their father claimed.. "Can't get blood out of stone! So yeah.. I realize I was important.. but never badmouthed their dad..and they grew up loving their dad ( a few days out of a month).. but they got older and realized.. while the loved their father.. THEY sure didn't like a lot of his behaviours!

Point is.. Raising kids should never any one parent's responsibility.. short term occasionally .. But breadwinner who has assisted incomes from spouse should never be expected to be responsible for "Child Rearing"

Not bashing the question.. yet it seems to come from the mindset of selecting who is responsible for the Kids??

Last edited by Lyndarn; 05-04-2018 at 07:57 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 07:59 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,240,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
And that requires actively involved parents being in the workforce. Not just moms, but also dads who are willing to pass up a promotion because they won’t see their kids as much, or taking their turn picking up a sick child from school, or to an orthodontist appointment, or take a long lunch so they don’t miss [insert whatever] day at school. As long as workplaces are run almost exclusively by people who have a wife at home to handle all of that, nothing will change.
The idea would be that business culture would change so that parents of either gender wouldn't be giving up promotions by taking some time off for their children's needs. Neither would single people who need flexibility for whatever reason. Even businesses run by women tend to be inflexible. Most women in business still believe they need to act like men always have. The problem is that it requires a significant change in thinking about how things are done, few people are willing to do this.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:04 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,156,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
According to opinions i ve been reading in other threads in this forum, it seems that people here seem to assume WOMEN are responsible for raising kids for the most part. They might have a job or work few hours but they expect them to do the most part of the raising. They assume its gonna be like that. I get it, this is a highly conservative forum, and those are for the traditional values of family, etc.

But if you think like that, can you justify it? Is it from a biological point of view? Purely social? Why?
The problem with this question is in its title, (which you can't see here.) The title is "Do you think that women should spend more time raising their kids than men?" The problem is the should. That is a term of judgement, of whether it is right or wrong, and often of compulsion. Every family has the right to decide on how responsibilities and labor of every sort, including child rearing, are divided between the family members. As long as no one is hurt and no laws are broken, it seems to me that it is no one else's business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies