Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 07:17 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,125,938 times

Advertisements

Judge Gorsuchs Supreme Court appointment is imminent! After that, DT will get to appoint and second or even third SC Judge.

Time is QUICKLY running out on the lawlessness that has infected and damaged our nation so badly the last eight years. The next eight years will solidify the SC for decades!

Old 02-04-2017, 07:19 AM

35,738 posts, read 21,093,433 times
you hope

Old 02-04-2017, 07:20 AM

57,356 posts, read 26,263,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
Judge Gorsuchs Supreme Court appointment is imminent! After that, DT will get to appoint and second or even third SC Judge.

Time is QUICKLY running out on the lawlessness that has infected and damaged our nation so badly the last eight years. The next eight years will solidify the SC for decades!
I would say that your contention of prior lawlessness is rather ironic considering Trump's rather large issue that just came to light. The courts seem to think that Trump is the "lawless" one, maybe he needs to reconsider Yates firing since it appears she was corret.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:33 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,572,537 times
God help us all if DJT appoints many justices.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:45 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,125,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
you hope
No, I KNOW!

I know one old America hater is 83 years old and in poor health. She won't last another 7 or 8 years, LOL.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:54 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,021,495 times
I am for Judge Gorsuch being confirmed, consistent with my long-held belief that a President's choice for the Supreme Court should be given preference by the Senate, unless, of course, something comes out during the hearing that obviously disqualifies the individual. Of course, I wish that the Senate Republicans held such a belief some 11 months ago, but the theft is done and over with.

It is a known fact, to those in legal circles, that being elevated to the Supreme Court can change an individual's outlook. It is one thing to be on a US Court of Appeals, for one realizes that any decision could be reviewed by the Supreme Court, and the Court of Appeals only affects the circuit ruled by the court. However, once elevated to the Supreme Court, some realize that their thinking must 'adjust' in some ways.

For instance, the doctrine of 'stare decisisi' comes into play, or the rationale that prior US Supreme Court decisions should not be willy-nilly overruled.

Members of the Court have long believed that it would create chaos if, every time the make-up of the Court changes, the Court then begins to issue decisions that conflict with prior decisions. To date, it is a rare event when the Court explicitly overrules a prior Court decision. One famed example, of course, is the Brown v. Board of Education, which over-ruled and rejected the prior Court decision (I think 1885) of Plessy v. Ferguson (which said 'separate but equal' was the Law of the Land).

Richard Nixon appointed two men to the Supreme Court that he thought were 'strict constructionist', a legal philosophy that was shared by the late Justice Scalia, albeit under a different name. Regardless, President Nixon was upset that two of his appointees, Lewis Powell and Harry Blackmun, were not, while on the Court, as 'strict' as he could desire. Of course, Justice Blackmun was the author of Roe v. Wade.

So, even though many believe that Judge Gorsuch may disagree with the ruling of Roe v. Wade, he may not, when it comes down to it, be willing to simply overrule it. Of course, his legal philosophy will obviously come into play in future decisions, addressing cases of 'first impression' (i.e., not before considered by the Court). Yet even then, he may surprise people.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:09 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
If he goes 8 years he may actually get to appoint 3. Ginsburg, Breyer and Kennedy.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:19 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I would say that your contention of prior lawlessness is rather ironic considering Trump's rather large issue that just came to light. The courts seem to think that Trump is the "lawless" one, maybe he needs to reconsider Yates firing since it appears she was corret.
The powers of the President are quite sweeping where immigration is concerned and I would suggest he will win in the end. To suggest he can't do this would suggest any policies Obama set were illegal too.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:22 AM

27,668 posts, read 16,160,831 times
Quote:

The dying left is squeeling like a mashed cat. It'll be over soon.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:23 AM

21,161 posts, read 19,753,224 times
It's what we voted for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies