Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2016, 08:30 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,878,553 times

Advertisements

I have to admit it is interesting that liberals and progressives always go on and on about how Governor Brownback and Kansas are such failures due to tax cuts.

Kansas loses patience with Gov. Brownback's tax cuts - CBS News

There are thousands of news stories about Kansas conservative economics are such a bust and how conservatism has basically ruined Kansas and sent it back into dark ages.

Yet, the per-capita personal income when adjusted to cost of living of Kansas is $46,900 according to the Bureau of economic analysis compared to $41,600 in ultra-liberal California.

Despite the main-stream praising California, the average Kansas resident has over $5,000 of per-capita personal income adjusted to cost of living.

I looked it up and a newer house with a 9 bedrooms in Wichita is estimated at $1,270 for a month in PITI costs as opposed to San Francisco where the average 1 bedroom is over $3,000 a month.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/22...d4bec4!6m1!1e1

Basically, a person could have a 9 bedroom in Wichita and 3 luxury car leases for the price of a small 1 bedroom San Francisco apartment.

Kansas ranks 8th when per-capita personal income is adjusted to real per-capita cost of living chained to 2009 dollars.

Kansas also has a 4.3% unemployment rate which is below the national average.

http://www.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.cfm...29=100&7090=70
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 08:32 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,248,245 times
Kansas is an awful state. Barely growing in population, has to rely on poaching business from Missouri by offering corporate welfare handouts at the expense of education. It has Johnson County which is affluent KC suburbia, and college town Lawrence/KU. The rest of the state is stagnant or in decline.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:36 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,248,245 times
Oh and did I mention Brownback's $350 million dollar budget deficit?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kansasc...?client=safari

Old 12-21-2016, 08:44 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,421,574 times
The unemployment rate the OP was cheering on?

Historically it has always been that way. However even Kansas believes thats about to change..
http://www.kslegresearch.org/KLRD-web/Publications/CRE/2016_CRE_LongMemo-12-1-16.pdf
Quote:
The Kansas Department of Labor reports that job growth has been stagnant since early
2015. The most recent monthly data show that from September to September, private nonfarm jobs decreased by 4,100, or 0.3 percent. Real weekly earnings in Kansas fell by 0.8 percent over the same 12-month period, while real weekly earnings were increasing nationally by 1.4 percent. The overall Kansas labor force decreased by 1.0 percent at the same time the U.S. labor force was increasing by 1.9 percent. While the Kansas unemployment rate has historically remained below the national rate, the current forecast calls for the rate in Kansas to exceed the national rate beginning in 2018. A recent state coincident index published by the Philadelphia Federal Reserve demonstrates the relatively weak labor market components of the Kansas economy. Components of that index, which include employment, average hours worked, the unemployment rate, and wage and salary disbursements, are expected to remain weak for the next six months.
In fact that whole report is a nightmare for Kansas. And its created by.....the Kansas government

Old 12-21-2016, 10:02 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,332,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Kansas is an awful state. Barely growing in population, has to rely on poaching business from Missouri by offering corporate welfare handouts at the expense of education. It has Johnson County which is affluent KC suburbia, and college town Lawrence/KU. The rest of the state is stagnant or in decline.
I was born and raised in KCMO, and live in Independence now. This is all true. Kansas is a ****** state. All they really have is Johnson County. Outside of that it's a ********. The state is constantly broke.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-21-2016 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: bypassing the profanity filter

Old 12-21-2016, 10:29 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,878,553 times
I should have said why do liberals constantly bash Kansas. Whoops, apologize for the label.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:42 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,251,083 times
What you have is liberals in desperate denial after the last election debacle. They can accurately point out that the states with high income are generally liberal states but the problem is they typically are also more expensive.

My city, Seattle, is very expensive and incomes are also high. I'm not sure that we are better off financially than Houston or Dallas (I don't care if the city voted Dem, you are living in and under Republican policy and world view in Texas).

As far Kansas, it's middle America farm rural and not much of a city, hence, it's going to struggle to keep residents and businesses. Kansas is a well functioning state that I doubt would do better and likely worse if you switched to liberal policies. It would be an interesting prospect to see what would happen if Kansas starting acting like Cali and Cali started acting like Kansas.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:32 AM

1,850 posts, read 823,354 times
It's actually pretty amusing to hear liberals bust on Kansas because a very quick perusal of prior governors shows that for 8 years prior to Brownback, the state was governed by Democrats. That includes Kathleen Sebelius of Obamacare infamy. Liberals like to act like Kansas has been this staunch Republican stronghold, but the reality is it hasn't been. And for eight years before Brownback, the same liberals were attempting to transform it into a permanent welfare state with high taxes and high welfare rolls, which sounds awfully like Obama's America in general. Brownback is opposed by both Democrats and moderate Republicans in the state and he's managed to sharply cut taxes, reduce welfare, and eliminate moderate Republicans from state legislature. In short, as usual, he's had to clean up the mess of a state that liberals created. Which also sounds familiar.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:41 AM

37,805 posts, read 41,094,709 times
I cried the whole time I was in Kansas on a business trip in the late 1990s. Anytime I went outside - waterworks for an entire week. It was embarrassing. Even when I was in a car. I must be allergic to something in the air there. Otherwise, I liked the place and had the best pie ever when I was there. Wouldn't bash Kansas.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:48 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,408,035 times
There is nothing wrong with Kansas, at least for cognitively normal individuals who don't need constant dopamine bumps from new stimulation that large cities provide (novelty = addictive dopamine high).

Population growth is not a measure of anything significant for anyone who doesn't measure their life, and everyone else, according to how well they are doing in the Keynsian economic pyramid scheme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies