Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 06:42 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,584,251 times

Advertisements

I live in NYC and its illegal to even defend yourself in this city, let alone own a firearm. I'm not joking either. You're encouraged to first flee and/or hide before taking actions to defend yourself in the event that you're being attacked. Here's the kicker...u ready for this?...... If you have no other option other than to fight back in order to defend yourself, your only allowed to use lesser or equal force. Meaning, if your attacker is using his hands, its illegal for you to use a bat. Or if you catch a burglar in your home and he doesnt have a weapon, you're not allowed to use any sort of weapon to attack or subdue him.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:43 AM

1,073 posts, read 623,368 times
So follow up question- for the people that own a gun for protection: do you live in an area where you are concerned about someone breaking in? Or are you thinking "I live in a great area but just in case/ you never know"

Thanks

Old 11-07-2016, 06:52 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
The people are to police themselves.

Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:52 AM

17,010 posts, read 12,602,310 times
ADHD son with an irresistible attraction to anything new.

NOT a good idea in our household.

Plus found out my dad accidentally gave away my guns when they did a big clean out. Miss the rifle I used to plink cans with at my grandfathers when I was a child. Dont miss the blunderbuss shotguns that nearly take off my shoulder.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:53 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
Well you know, I have a little hoooha so I have lots of great big guns!

Old 11-07-2016, 06:53 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
911 is there to protect you?

"Hello, 911? Three armed men are about to break into my home and hurt my family. Could you kindly ring the police and have a patrol car sent to my home? I'll keep the bad men at bay with amusing anecdotes and folk music 'til they can get here".

thanks for the laugh this morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
So follow up question- for the people that own a gun for protection: do you live in an area where you are concerned about someone breaking in? Or are you thinking "I live in a great area but just in case/ you never know"

Thanks
i am not concerned about someone breaking into my house, but i do want to be prepared if that does happen. i hope to NEVER use a firearm in anger. in fact if any gun i might own just sits around getting cleaned from time to time, and getting taken to the gun range to get some exercise punching holes in a paper target, and is never used to hurt anyone, human or animal, i will be very happy.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:55 AM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I live in NYC and its illegal to even defend yourself in this city, let alone own a firearm. I'm not joking either. You're encouraged to first flee and/or hide before taking actions to defend yourself in the event that you're being attacked. Here's the kicker...u ready for this?...... If you have no other option other than to fight back in order to defend yourself, your only allowed to use lesser or equal force. Meaning, if your attacker is using his hands, its illegal for you to use a bat. Or if you catch a burglar in your home and he doesnt have a weapon, you're not allowed to use any sort of weapon to attack or subdue him.

How does one think this is logical (not directed at you personally) ? It goes against everything ingrained into my being.
This has got to be the most asinine thing I've every heard. Yeah I can just see my 105lb wife fighting off one or two 6ft 220 men that are hell bent on doing her harm. I'm pretty sure if I lost my wife due to a law like this, I would exhaust everything I owned to sue the law maker responsible for this.
Again, how can anyone go along with is idiocracy ?

Old 11-07-2016, 06:56 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
ADHD son with an irresistible attraction to anything new.

NOT a good idea in our household.

Plus found out my dad accidentally gave away my guns when they did a big clean out. Miss the rifle I used to plink cans with at my grandfathers when I was a child. Dont miss the blunderbuss shotguns that nearly take off my shoulder.
in your situation i can agree with not bringing a gun into the house. children are capable if getting into just about anything they have a mind to. as always with guns, safety first.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:58 AM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post

Thanks

I live just about 8 miles north east of Detroit. I also have a smoke alarm , carbon monoxide detector and a home security system in my house. I don't plan on ever having a fire, C/M leak or a break in. I also pay for collision insurance on my vehicles, I don't ever plan on getting into an accident. See the trend here ?

Old 11-07-2016, 07:00 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
I don't worry about anyone breaking into my 14th floor apartment but I do like having the protection of a handgun when I'm out on my local bike path. There have been a number of assaults and at least one homicide on the bike paths in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies