Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:27 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,344,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
There's a difference between climate and weather. Furthermore, both Newsmax and the cited source material (The London Daily Express) are tabloids with noted conservative leanings.

Would it kill us all to cut out wasteful practice and reliance on foreign oil? Would it be the end of the world to live a little "greener"? Thousands of scientists around the world say global warming is a reality and a danger, but even if they are all full of crap, we'll be better off if we can live a little cleaner.
Good post.. And you are correct it would only benefit us to be a little less wasteful and a lot less dependent on foreign fuel sources.
I think the point of this thread and I agree with it is that Al Gore got an award based on bad science and at times out right lies.
Nothing new for Gore of course as he is a career politician. For every scientist that buys into the Gore drama there is a scientist who disagrees.
Even those who agree with Gore only agree in part. The parts of his report they actually wrote. In short they don't even agree with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 07:30 AM

68,428 posts, read 54,881,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Using a few hundred or even a few thousand years of "data" or "climate models" to prove (without question by some) that we are causing global warming is ridiculous as our time line is 4.5 billion years. Just another fleecing expedition....we will move along soon. The earth warms, the earth cools, and we get taxed and told how to live.

While I agree it may be a 1,000,000,000 year cycle that there's not enough data to understand I also believe it's just plain foolish to think man cannot influence the environment. Witness air quality in some urban areas 30 years ago and how it's changed with auto emission controls among other things.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:37 AM

11,582 posts, read 14,025,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
While I agree it may be a 1,000,000,000 year cycle that there's not enough data to understand I also believe it's just plain foolish to think man cannot influence the environment. Witness air quality in some urban areas 30 years ago and how it's changed with auto emission controls among other things.
Heck, just fly into Los Angeles on a clear day and you will see firsthand what "we" are doing to the environment.

While I agree we could all definitely live a little greener, I think Al Gore and the like are going way overboard on the issue.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:41 AM

4,006 posts, read 10,895,514 times
I agree we influence the environment, just not climate, especially on a global scale. Maybe we should do away with dense urban populations and spread the people out so the earth can better deal with our emissions(as opposed to a tremendous output in a concentrated area). You do not see the high levels of poor air quality out in the suburban sprawl (at least in the areas I have spent time, your mileage may vary lol)

Old 02-23-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Heck, just fly into Los Angeles on a clear day and you will see firsthand what "we" are doing to the environment.

While I agree we could all definitely live a little greener, I think Al Gore and the like are going way overboard on the issue.

Moderation is a good choice in many areas, especially when all the facts aren't known. I think that's where many 'movements' make the wrong choice.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:19 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,520,913 times
Wouldn't it be nice if the radical followers of this silly debate would focus more on saving our country from ourselves before it's too late? If we keep our open border policies and terrorists come in and blew us up the environment really won't be an issue, will it.......

Old 02-23-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if the radical followers of this silly debate would focus more on saving our country from ourselves before it's too late? If we keep our open border policies and terrorists come in and blew us up the environment really won't be an issue, will it.......

Global warming or not, 'going green' will benefit the country tremendously if it allows us to tell mid-east oil powers "Kiss off!, we don't need your steenking oil!"

Old 02-23-2008, 11:06 AM

223 posts, read 498,534 times
Any one think the space shuttle has anything to do with this so called problem? any one know where the hole is that it goes tru and come back. is it over greenland?

Old 02-23-2008, 11:55 AM

459 posts, read 808,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Maybe he will come out with a new book about global freezing and the duffass liberals will run out and buy it.

Are they going to take back his award? They should, he didnt even write the book. He is not smart enough !

Good Idea base all your opinions on what newsmax says. It's sad that he gets ridiculed for trying to educate people on how to help the planet. I would understand people blasting him if he was using his stance on global warming as a political agenda, but the last time I checked he wasn't running for president in 2008. Maybe just maybe open your mind a sliver and you might actually see that we need to change somethings to better our planet.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:23 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,477,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I think the point of this thread and I agree with it is that Al Gore got an award based on bad science and at times out right lies.
Nothing new for Gore of course as he is a career politician. For every scientist that buys into the Gore drama there is a scientist who disagrees.
Even those who agree with Gore only agree in part. The parts of his report they actually wrote. In short they don't even agree with each other.
Well, I appreciate that this is the opinion of many, but it lacks basis. Science on this scale often involves hypothesis and educated opinion. That means that consensus may not be perfect, but is close enough. By the way, it's absolutely not true to say that "For every scientist that buys into the Gore drama there is a scientist who disagrees". There is an overwhelming consensus among climatologists that global warming is occurring. Many of the dissenters (who are in the massive minority) have accepted major donations from the fossil fuel industries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies