Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:01 PM

8,419 posts, read 16,266,140 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
The breakdown in the COM could result in the death of your comrades - and that is unconscionable.
A few weeks ago 3 companies of Dutch soldiers in Afghanistan fired upon their own men with several casualties as a result.
Our government is investigating how this happened, but obviously the officers made a mistake. The operation was done in the cover of the night and somehow they positioned themselves in such a way that they ended up in each other's field of fire.
I personally would never open fire unless I'm absolutely positive who it is I am firing upon, regardless if I'm ordered to open fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 05:08 PM

24,908 posts, read 39,344,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by GreatdayA few weeks ago 3 companies of Dutch soldiers in Afghanistan fired upon their own men with several casualties as a result.
Our government is investigating how this happened, but obviously the officers made a mistake. The operation was done in the cover of the night and somehow they positioned themselves in such a way that they ended up in each other's field of fire.
I personally would never open fire unless I'm absolutely positive who it is I am firing upon, regardless if I'm ordered to open fire.

While these types of friendly fire incidents occur, the fact remains, at night, when fire is coming towards you, you may not know who is doing the firing

You still have an obligation, when you are in the military, to follow orders.

Period

Old 02-23-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
You still have an obligation, when you are in the military, to follow orders.

Period
And here I thought that people joined the army to protect loved ones from harm but I guess I'm wrong; people should only join the army to blindly follow orders.

BTW don't you Americans have the right to bear arms to defend yourself against your own government and thus also your own army?
I thought that this was exactly how America became 'free' America by rebelling against the British government.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
And here I thought that people joined the army to protect loved ones from harm but I guess I'm wrong; people should only join the army to blindly follow orders.
When one joins the military, yes, they have to follow orders.

BTW, that must have been a heck of a fire fight your guys were in - 200 / 300 troops firing at one another -

You did say 3 Companies of troops, didn't you?

Old 02-23-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
When one joins the military, yes, they have to follow orders.
In that case America should still be a British colony.
Quote:
BTW, that must have been a heck of a fire fight your guys were in - 200 / 300 troops firing at one another -
I dunno, they called themselves alpha company, beta company and delta company.
I don't concern myself that much over small details, but there were at least 3 groups.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:59 PM

110 posts, read 293,280 times
Thumbs up Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The breakdown in the COM could result in the death of your comrades - and that is unconscionable.
Excellent observation, Greatday. If after any order is given, you have to think, 'uh, should I obey it (ie: fire at those guys?)', you're probably a deadman before you get done with the thought. You are conditioned to react and rely on your training rather than think; that's just part of being in the military, like it or not. . Lou

Old 02-23-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I dunno, they called themselves alpha company, beta company and delta company.
I don't concern myself that much over small details, but there were at least 3 groups.
You said you were in the military - you should be aware of the differences - so, was it a squad, platoon or company TD?

Old 02-23-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loujr View Post
Excellent observation, Greatday. If after any order is given, you have to think, 'uh, should I obey it (ie: fire at those guys?)', you're probably a deadman before you get done with the thought. You are conditioned to react and rely on your training rather than think; that's just part of being in the military, like it or not. . Lou

Thank you - the expression "think and your dead" is a rather famous, and accurate statement within the military.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:51 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,103,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday And here I thought that people joined the army to protect loved ones from harm but I guess I'm wrong; people should only join the army to blindly follow orders.

BTW don't you Americans have the right to bear arms to defend yourself against your own government and thus also your own army?
I thought that this was exactly how America became 'free' America by rebelling against the British government.
The military is a unit. It isn't about 'blindly' following orders, it's about being a cohesive fighting force. You can follow orders and still have a head on your shoulders. A leader that tells you to simply 'execute this prisoner' can be challenged.

You said you would never fire unless fired upon...have you ever been in that situation? Because if not, there's a bunch of people out there that would say what they 'would' do 'if' _______.

You never really know yourself until you're put in such situations and in which case you'd probably be surprised at what you would do to survive.

Some people just aren't made for the military, and that's perfectly fine. However, do not knock people in the military just b/c you didn't like it, or don't agree with it. Your experience doesn't have to bo theirs

Old 02-23-2008, 08:05 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,830,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
Thank you!!! I don't have the best opinion of the military organization. I'm pretty sure the military choses the path of least sense when doing anything. It takes way too long to get anything done. We definitely need more pay. But I would never, ever, ever insult a military member. The sacrifices they make are incredible.
YOu know the funny thing is when I see all these folks fawning over the "sacrifices" of the military I almost feel guilty. I certainly did not make any sacrifices by joining the USAF. In fact I enjoyed it for the most part. It certainly beat the hell out of anything I could have got from the private sector as a young punk with a high school education! I got more out of it than I put into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies