Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 09:22 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,267,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I was talking about today, but I realize the topic of the thread is then versus now so I should probably not have commented.
Lol...no, you didn't say anything wrong. I was just pointing out that people have always pretty much been the same. If anything, folks took greater offense in the past at things that we blow off nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 09:27 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,081,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
People whine a lot about political correctness but why do people assume people in the past weren't easily offended. I had a conversation before with a former older investment banker (Vanderbilt BA and Wharton MBA) who grew up in Kentucky in a upper middle class home. He told me as a teen in the area he grew up in, if he called a girl after 8pm, it would elicit a very angry phone call from the girl's parents and a beating from his parents and this was the culture and standards of the time. I am not saying people in the current era aren't sensitive but it seems like people in the past weren't any different. Of course what people are offended by today are obviously different than what people were offended by in the past but again I don't think this means people weren't easily offended in the past.
I got in trouble if anyone called me after 8:00P and I lived in NY. The parents would tell the caller, "Do YOU know what time it is?" It didn't matter who the caller was.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:24 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,122,090 times
Isent it ironic how the only people upset about "political correctness" are bigots upset that they can't call Black people n----rs anymore? Get the flip over it already. I am so tired of hearing you all whine because life isent the way it was in the 1950s.

I like things the way they are, I like it when ignoramuses are silenced. Their lack of class is repulsive.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:38 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,287,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Isent it ironic how the only people upset about "political correctness" are bigots upset that they can't call Black people n----rs anymore?
Riiiight...

Political Correctness has its tendrils in everything. It's how you get The Young Turks basically apologizing for white people having caused the Nice, France terror attack. It's how you get stuff like this: http://i.imgur.com/oSVko11.jpg
Quote:
I like it when ignoramuses are silenced.
You're for the elimination of freedom of speech on college campuses then. What if the silencing is one day done by people you DON'T agree with?

Old 08-11-2016, 11:57 AM

11,879 posts, read 5,856,576 times
Quote:
Isent it ironic how the only people upset about "political correctness" are bigots upset that they can't call Black people n----rs anymore? Get the flip over it already. I am so tired of hearing you all whine because life isent the way it was in the 1950s.

I like things the way they are, I like it when ignoramuses are silenced. Their lack of class is repulsive.

Excuse me - but bigots really - I believe this was one of your posts a couple of years ago - ah.. who's the bigot?

The US military has a huge problem with gangmembers (especially Hispanic gangmembers) within the military. It's too be expected as long as we recruit foreigners and 1st generations.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:06 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,122,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Excuse me - but bigots really - I believe this was one of your posts a couple of years ago - ah.. who's the bigot?

The US military has a huge problem with gangmembers (especially Hispanic gangmembers) within the military. It's too be expected as long as we recruit foreigners and 1st generations.
My views on race have evolved, I realized that I was stupid and ignorant in my youth. I decided I dident wanted to end up bitter and filled with hate. I have written frequently on this forum about how my views on race and culture have evolved from "Buchananite" to "Kempite".

Old 08-11-2016, 12:13 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,382,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Before the Democratic Party realized that victimization could be profitable, they were victimizing.
Oh puhleeze. Trump is exploiting doing the same thing with white folks with personal grievances.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:13 PM

73,116 posts, read 62,771,018 times
Quote:
My views on race have evolved, I realized that I was stupid and ignorant in my youth. I decided I dident wanted to end up bitter and filled with hate. I have written frequently on this forum about how my views on race and culture have evolved from "Buchananite" to "Kempite".
I am the type of person who believes that when we know better, we should do better. The fact that you decide to do better, it says something of your character. It says alot about your willingness to change for the better.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:15 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
People whine a lot about political correctness but why do people assume people in the past weren't easily offended. I had a conversation before with a former older investment banker (Vanderbilt BA and Wharton MBA) who grew up in Kentucky in a upper middle class home. He told me as a teen in the area he grew up in, if he called a girl after 8pm, it would elicit a very angry phone call from the girl's parents and a beating from his parents and this was the culture and standards of the time. I am not saying people in the current era aren't sensitive but it seems like people in the past weren't any different. Of course what people are offended by today are obviously different than what people were offended by in the past but again I don't think this means people weren't easily offended in the past.
Political correctness and being upset that somebody is calling a home too late are two different things and your example makes no sense.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:05 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,942,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am the type of person who believes that when we know better, we should do better. The fact that you decide to do better, it says something of your character. It says alot about your willingness to change for the better.
Wholeheartedly second that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies