Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 06:17 AM

63,917 posts, read 46,979,933 times

Advertisements

Roommates are not a protected class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 06:18 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,797,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
They can have whatever living arrangements they choose provided it's not publicly financed - which I assume it is being that it is off-campus. But those quoted in the article are clearly idiots because you can be Hispanic and white.

[snowflake dummies]
The Claremont Colleges have a bunch of college owned off-campus apartments, which is probably what the add refers to considering the low rent involved. ($450/mo)
(But the Claremont Colleges are private anyway even though it is likely campus owned housing.)

Old 08-11-2016, 06:23 AM

29,914 posts, read 14,961,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
How would the public react if white students publicly said they only want to live with whites? My guess is that the school would be forced to kick them out. Right?
Well of course, don't you know , only white people can be racist.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:23 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,298,571 times
Liberal hypocrisy is as predictable as the sunrise. Here is how my ad would read:

"White people only will be considered for this opportunity. I don't want to live with no black folks." NYJoe

So liberals, now tell me, are you ok with THIS ad? I will say that most of you are lying if you say you are.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:33 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,891,021 times
LOL at the silliness of reporting on Facebook threads.

But FWIW I'm black and I did go to an HBCU and my grandmother was glad that I did so I wouldn't have a white roommate. She thought white people were filthy housekeepers and was happy I didn't have to deal with that. I lol'd at her but told her that was racist.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:28 AM

20,523 posts, read 15,973,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
How are we in a situation where students think this is an OK thing to do?

Claremont students refuse to live with whites
I just looked at your link and; all 3 of the people there def look "anglo white" to me. The idea of "People of color" is a bad joke IMHO since some anglos are have darker skin than many Hispanics and so on.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:10 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,772,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I have zero issues with her request. She should be free to choose anybody from any race she wants to live with. Everybody should have that right and the ability to express it.

Personally, I wouldn't care what race my roommate was as long as they were pleasant to be around.
I agree(freedom of association) but if it were a white person doing the same, someone would be screaming racism at the top of their lungs.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:17 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,772,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
No, I would not.

Just as I don't believe the government should tell you which neighbors you have to invite over for dinner, I also don't believe they should tell you who you feel comfortable renting to.

My exception is in regards to specific essential services like hospitals, pharmacies, etc. if denying a service will most likely lead to actual harm, you must serve everyone; otherwise, you can choose who you want to invite to a picnic or to whom you sell a burrito.
They cant, it is in the constitution, freedom of association. Annotation 12 - First Amendment - FindLaw

Old 08-11-2016, 08:31 AM

27,420 posts, read 15,531,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
How are we in a situation where students think this is an OK thing to do?

Claremont students refuse to live with whites
PC?

Naw, segregationist at best.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:33 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,578,239 times
"People of color," as the term is used by the people who originated it, are apparently everybody but European "whites". It is a fabricated divide contrived by a certain group of especially proactive racists in our society that they use to single out European "white" people in order to try to play off everyone else off against them. It is a manipulative and hostile concept without biological basis that only exists to help some people forward their own racist agendas.

In fact, there is really only one basic skin color, as virtually all people have brown skin of various different shades, ranging from very light to very dark. And nobody is truly without color.

This vile phrase is as least as racist as the "n" word and should be treated as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies