Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 09:48 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,742,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Dude, there's a huge difference between wanting drugs to get high and wanting a gun to commit mass murder.

As most people are not planning a mass murder by gun, there's going to be very few Americans who will break a new gun law just to own an illegal weapon.
Yeah same thing was said about prohibition.

And it's not like there's millions of 'mass shootings'. There are dozens over a 50 year period.

Question: is the dad who kills his wife and kids, then shoots himself, with a shotgun, is that a 'mass killing'?

I ask not to be coy but all emphasis on 'mass killings' always defaults back to semi automatic rifles. Don't own one. Don't need one. If I did, it would be a .22 for cheap ammo. They make them 'ar' style now. To make your argument consistent, you miss multiple factors and instead use aristotles lowest form of argument: pathos.

Which is where pathetic comes from. The appeal to emotion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 09:48 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
.......Weapons in the hands of Americans is nothing new, but mass shootings are a relatively new phenomenon.

What's changed in that time? Weapons technology is not significantly different now than in the 1950's.

But back then we didn't embrace crazy and extremist ideology out of political correctness.........But now we import it from the third world, support at taxpayer expense and promote it to middle management.
Very good points but very inconvenient to the antis. That will fall on deaf ears, shut eyes and closed minds.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:51 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
No, I'm not losing. There's is just a tremendous amount of pieces the opposition is missing. If I'm losing its due to the opposition's ignorance.

So, you believe you're using a rope-a-dope strategy? Lol

Last edited by PedroMartinez; 06-30-2016 at 10:00 AM..

Old 06-30-2016, 09:54 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
You would think that would be a more preferable weapon for a domestic terrorist or mass killer because it could do far more damage and kill far more civilians than an AR-15.

I wonder why domestic mass killers just don't use tanks? Or why so few use fully automatic machine guns?

Oh that's right, THEY'RE ILLEGAL. (Or highly regulated)

No.... They are expensive. I have been offered $25,000 for 1 of my BAR's

Tank purchase and maintenance are costly. Finding 75mm-80mm shells is another obstacle.

Those down on their luck ready to go to battle, usually do not have the funds to make a one time buy like that. Wealthy able to afford it, are not out to harm those padding their pockets.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:58 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Note to both: semi auto rifles account for less than 5% of gun killings.

Shhhh....don't try to confuse them with facts

Again, the vast majority of guns that make their way to police evidence lockers are cheap "Saturday night specials".

But going after them is not only less glamorous and headline grabbing like going after semi auto "Assault Weapons".....but it would actually be counter productive to the gun grabbers narrative because it lends evidence to the fact that the preponderance of gun related violence in this country is perpetrated by minorities that aren't going out and spending $1000.00 or more on AR-15's.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:13 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,742,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Shhhh....don't try to confuse them with facts

Again, the vast majority of guns that make their way to police evidence lockers are cheap "Saturday night specials".

But going after them is not only less glamorous and headline grabbing like going after semi auto "Assault Weapons".....but it would actually be counter productive to the gun grabbers narrative because it lends evidence to the fact that the preponderance of gun related violence in this country is perpetrated by minorities that aren't going out and spending $1000.00 or more on AR-15's.
I've posted the FBI gun stats multiple times. Not only do rifles deaths drop year over year, but they also lump all rifles together... .308, 30-06, .270, ar15, Ak, hk...

None of that matters. It truly is the 'scary gun' phenomena.

I'd contend more semi-auto pistols end up in police lockers because they are cheaper than revolvers these days.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:25 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
I've posted the FBI gun stats multiple times. Not only do rifles deaths drop year over year, but they also lump all rifles together... .308, 30-06, .270, ar15, Ak, hk...

None of that matters. It truly is the 'scary gun' phenomena.

I'd contend more semi-auto pistols end up in police lockers because they are cheaper than revolvers these days.
Only the dirt cheap ones.

Hi-Point 9mm....the gang bangers best friend.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:27 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Which is good since the cheap semis are more likely to fail and they leave behind evidence.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:43 AM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
How could it just be a feel good band aid if in the case of other kinds of weapons, it still works? People don't go for and don't use, the weapons that are more regulated. They go for and use the one that are less regulated.

That alone should make it crystal clear to you.

You aren't making a shred of sense. If what you just stated is true, Brazil should be a utopia of safety. Instead it is quite the opposite.

Brazil Has Nearly 60,000 Murders, And It May Relax Gun Laws : Parallels : NPR

Old 06-30-2016, 10:45 AM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
And why are there 270 million guns and growing? Because of all this time of being less regulated than other types of gun that are less available.

If you never ban or more regulate them, the supply will never have time to dry up, break down, age and slowly fall in number.

So the very reluctance to increased gun regulation or banning is the very reason there is a massive supply today. And the only way to start dwindling down that supply is increased regulation or banning in the case of assault rifles.

270 million and growing...and every year our country gets safer. Except for certain cities, most with the highest firearms restrictions already in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies