Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 01:57 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,046,839 times

Advertisements

This is absolutely disgusting. What sort of thugs are signing up these days to be police officers?

YouTube - Miami Police Shot Protester, then laugh about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 02:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Another reason why I don't live in the States at the moment.
What ever happened to right to assembly and free speech?

Old 02-12-2008, 02:27 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I have all the respect in the world for police officers, but sometimes I wonder where the good ones are? Stories like this, hearing of high school acquaintances getting off for drunk driving (I'm sure they think the cops are very nice but me, not so much), rude police officers in general... I know cops have a tough job but shooting an unarmed woman takes a *special* kind of person. And to later make fun of it in uniform removes all respect for the position.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:09 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
I have a deep respect for many law enforcement officers as it is an often dangerous and thankless job but I also have a deep mistrust of the reason why some people join the force.

I suspect some people join for power and because they are bullies. I have had some deeply unpleasant experiences with cops in my life but then again some of the good ones have almost made up for it.

I think they need to be more accountable and their behaviour more transparent.
We need a good, solid police force in society and one made up of decent, honest and moral officers. How to recruit those is another question.

On the whole though I do feel the good ones never get to be in the media, we only hear about the ( granted many) bad apples.
It's a horrible job I certainly would not want to do and maybe we need to value it more by paying them more and giving them better benefits. Maybe this would help with recruitment ? I don't know.

At the end of the day some people in position of power will always abuse that trust.

Let's not forget though that they are in essence the daily troops that keep our streets safer. We respect and value our troops , we should also value Policemen. The good ones. They are there, but are silent entity and deserve our support.

Creeps like those mentioned are just thugs and bullies with badges and we need to clean those out. Take them of the streets.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:31 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,905 times
I know its impossible, but ive always said police work should not be a full-time career job. Police just seem to get so angry and bitter after theyve been in the job a while, and I also think it attracts a lot of thumpers and rednecks in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies