Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 09:58 AM

451 posts, read 467,566 times

Advertisements

An Establishment Conservative's Guide to the Alternative Right

Though I've been mostly apolitical in recent times in my own life, I can see parts of myself in the different factions, intellectuals, meme team...

This is the first article that I've ever encountered, in a semi-mainstream publication or better, that attempted to couch the interests of the alt-right in anything but a foundation of economic insecurity.

Which, if one thinks about this framing strategy as well as the overall economic focus of the establishment Republicans, is just a continuation of the economic frame that communists insist upon. Like communists, the establishment holds that politics is defined and driven by economics. Merely taking the opposite economic position makes them reinforcers of the communist worldview in their acceptance of the overall framework of the culture denying political model and the discussion. I digress.

Anyway, this is the most incisive and honest article that I've ever read on the politics of probably at least 1/3rd of Western population. I'll be curious as to whether the establishment media ignores or addresses it, given their primary strategy of ignoring the truths laid forth in the article and disingenuously reframing motivations as a means of platform denial.

Every time I thought that the authors were going to cop out, they reeled it back in. In addition, these two journalists were impressively objective, in spite of personal stakes, in a manner that I have not witnessed perhaps ever in my adult life. It can now be said that at least two journalists understand modern politics and understand what the difference is between propaganda and journalism. They are choosing the West and the prospect of peace over any other agenda to include that of any possible interest in a particular political group that they might identify with. Good for them and for Breitbart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 10:05 AM

45,742 posts, read 27,374,397 times
The way I see it, enough rank and file conservatives (not Republicans per se) have figured out that those in the establishment are fakers - and they are really not conservative at all, and do not have the country's best interest at heart. The rank and file is tired of watching leaders backtrack away from conservative positions and being weak-minded.

I will have to read the article later.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:38 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,460,385 times
The GOP establishment nowadays exists solely to serve their corporate masters. They get support from the religious right by playing up senseless culture wars. They're finding that this combination is no longer enough to get them a majority in elections across much of America, so they react by trying to disenfranchise millions.

Seeing them disintegrate is very satisfying.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:44 AM

20,736 posts, read 19,420,407 times
The primary weapon used against the alt-right is accusations of racism....

The primary defense against it has a supermarket of ideologies to choose from on the left. In fact the alt-right is often in perfect agreement with the left. Economic efficiency , especially in the short, term is viewed as destructive. The establishment right is just after a quick buck.

Invasive Species - Wisconsin DNR
Invasive plants, animals and pests are taking a toll on Wisconsin's lakes, rivers and landscapes. The DNR is working with citizens and partners to slow the spread of invasive species. Through educational outreach, strategic planning and active management we are protecting our environment and economy from invasives.

Wonder why the left cannot seem to apply this equally?

The lefties love the hip new "locavore" movement. lets look at why.

7 benefits of eating local foods | MSU Extension
Local food supports the local economy. The money that is spent with local farmers and growers all stays close to home and is reinvested with businesses and services in your community.

Not if its owned by a big conglomerate and not if the money is sent back to relatives back home either.
The more steps there are between you and your food’s source the more chances there are for contamination. Food grown in distant locations has the potential for food safety issues at harvesting, washing, shipping and distribution.
Yes local prevents all kinds of corruption....
Local growers can tell you how the food was grown. You can ask what practices they use to raise and harvest the crops. When you know where your food comes from and who grew it, you know a lot more about that food.
This is otherwise know as a crop or culture...Sound familiar "culture".

Ask any alt-right person if they approve of the main stream right practice of carpet bagging and putting strip malls on other societies? Go ahead, I dare you.

A trickle of people on their own who conformed to the the local ways has never been a problem. Waves of migrant workers funded by hot money and da guberment subsidies has always been a problem.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:16 PM

451 posts, read 467,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
The primary weapon used against the alt-right is accusations of racism....

The primary defense against it has a supermarket of ideologies to choose from on the left. In fact the alt-right is often in perfect agreement with the left. Economic efficiency , especially in the short, term is viewed as destructive. The establishment right is just after a quick buck.

Ask any alt-right person if they approve of the main stream right practice of carpet bagging and putting strip malls on other societies? Go ahead, I dare you.

That's exactly one of the biggest problems of why the conservative movement (at least conservatism as we have known it) is dead. Too much emphasis on numbers, charts, economic theories without any regard to the inseparable link of economy to social well-being. This akin to left-wing people who press hard for liberal immigration policies that re-enforce their worship of multiculturalism and diversity. But will a town like Los Angeles still be "diverse" in another 20 years when every city street is just one strip mall after another of Taquerias and the occasional Cambodian-owned donut shop or Korean-run liquor store?

There's a conservatism out there amongst Millennials, it's a different kind of conservatism from Reagan/Bush/GWB, not reaganomics, not compassionate conservatism, it's something else that we don't quite have a name for yet. Trump has tapped into it fairly well and has a boiler plate for it, but I don't know if it's ripe enough yet to win the presidency and many downward offices this election or even the next. And while Trump is the well-self-funded, larger-than-life billionaire that has boldly ignited this realignment in right-wing politics, for those same reasons and reasons regarding his history, he's probably not electable in the general election this fall. I do think there will be future candidates who will follow in the footsteps of what Trump is albeit crudely laying down here, less personally flawed candidates who could achieve broader appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies