Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 08:32 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,404,330 times

Advertisements

Some interesting experiences that Latinos of various races and mixtures have had with race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLLCHbCgJbM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 10:31 PM

3,867 posts, read 2,246,310 times
"Latino" is still pretty much a meaningless word.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:49 AM

31,235 posts, read 22,236,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
"Latino" is still pretty much a meaningless word.
Pretty much. My great grand father would be considered Metizo from Arizona when it was a Territory, should I call myself Latino? The woman I'm dating's grandmother is Mexican American, and she doesnt identify as latina or Hispanic either. Kind of useless unless you have a political agenda.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:57 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,789,439 times
The white Latino guy at 5:40 criticizes Latin culture for favoring people with lighter skin and eyes, but not because that's simply wrong in and of itself, no, it's wrong because it's "perpetuating white supremacy". Somehow the blame always has to be deflected onto the gringo...

Last edited by The Dark Enlightenment; 03-27-2016 at 01:46 AM..

Old 03-27-2016, 01:46 AM

184 posts, read 135,979 times
Didn't exist until like relatively recently....

Old 03-27-2016, 02:18 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,984,453 times
Latinos have always been racist and discriminatory. Try being a white american living in Mexico or points south. The stories I can tell. Reverse discrimination is alive and well south of the border.

Mexicans of Indian or Maya descent are not treated as well as those of Spanish descent.

What always kind of blows me away is the occasional red head Hispanic. I knew two brothers who were dentists in Mexico. Theie name was "O'Malley" or something. Their father was from Ireland and married a Mexican lady. They both were very light skinned and had red hair! LOL

In Honduras I met a guy on a bus one time. Again, very light skinned and bright red hair. I spoke to him in English, asking where he was from, just assuming he was a tourist from American or Europe. He looked at me like I was crazy and replied in spanish he was from "pinche" Honduras, that he got mistaken a lot for a stupid gringo and it made his life difficult. LOL

Another time, also in Honduras I was flying into Miami. They used to pass out the custom cards on the plane so your could have them filled out on arrival. There was a very black lady sitting next to me. Honduras has a population of English speaking "Garfunarians" (or however it's spelled) that mostly lives along the Caribbean coast, descendants of Haitians and Jamaicans. Honduras also has blacks who only speak Spanish. So the stewardess had given her the Spanish form to fill out because we were flying out of the capitol on the western side of the country. The lady, from the resort island of Roatan, asked me in caribbe English if I spoke Spanish and could read the form for her because she'd never learned spanish. LOL We swapped forms.

I guess the moral of my stories is - you just never really know until someone opens their mouth what's going to come out.

Last edited by jamies; 03-27-2016 at 02:34 AM..

Old 03-27-2016, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Latinos have always been racist and discriminatory.
Yes.. In places like California or the southern part many of them are sorry as ****

Old 03-27-2016, 02:38 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,302,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribes View Post
Yes.. In places like California or the southern part many of them are sorry as ****
SMH...yeah. And you're from a group that's so virtuous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The white Latino guy at 5:40 criticizes Latin culture for favoring people with lighter skin and eyes, but not because that's simply wrong in and of itself, no, it's wrong because it's "perpetuating white supremacy". Somehow the blame always has to be deflected onto the gringo...
Yeah, well it's the truth regardless...hurt feelings aside.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:51 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,939,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Pretty much true wherever Spain colonized. The wife watches Filipino TV channels and most of the actors and actresses are whiter than I am.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
SMH...yeah. And you're from a group that's so virtuous.
I take it, you look up to them.. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies