Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:40 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Their goal is not simply to spread fear and cause disruption. They want death to America, just like they say. We need to understand it and take it seriously. The fear and disruption is part of the process. It almost becomes a psychological war and we fight ourselves, and they simply take advantage of weaknesses when the opportunity presents itself.
You see that is precisely my point, by granting them powers that they can conceivably possess, hell Japan nor Germany with vast military resources couldn't come close, other than by succumbing to mindless hysteria. Their is nothing for Muslim terrorist to win nor anything for us to lose. Yes we should take on this criminal element just as we would any other but this is no more a life and death struggle than it is with maladjusted sociopaths with semi-automatic weapons shooting up schools or to protect their drug turf.

You state that their tactic is to foment fear and disruption, fear and disruption is self-generating, stop fearing by placing the real capability of terrorist into its proper perspective. Even the attacks of 9/11, outside of the reasonable step to halt all air travel, did little to disrupt 99.9% of Americans outside of lower Manhattan. Even above 14th St, life in New York went on pretty much as usual considering the circumstances. Yet we allowed the attacks to diminish our civil liberties, concepts of justice, and deluded the American public into endorsing a disastrous war that did nothing other than to exacerbate the problem.

Then and now my response has been like the 6'5, 275 lbs bouncer that gets punched by the pipsqueak, I ask, "what else you got?" That doesn't mean that like the bouncer I don't pound the guy into the sidewalk, but I don't start looking at every other pipsqueak like he's going to be the second coming of Mike Tyson. Yeah, the bouncer will get punched by some other punk again, but so what. When you are 6'5 and 275lbs you don't walk in fear because you know you are the strongest badass on the block and the U.S. is no different. We can and have pounded many countries into the pavement, we have the strongest military ever known to man so why should we live in fear that is the mindset of weaklings and too many so-called conservatives at like it. Maybe more of them need to go to a ball game the next time some jihadist kills fewer people than we kill on a weekend.

How do we win, when we stop reacting by eating way at our own values. When we demonstrate that no matter how tragic such acts are on a personal level, they don't affect us as a nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 08:42 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Just to move things along... you guys believe if we pulled every troop out of the region (not including the air bases), there would be no terrorism from those people.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:50 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
You see that is precisely my point, by granting them powers that they can conceivably possess, hell Japan nor Germany with vast military resources couldn't come close, other than by succumbing to mindless hysteria. Their is nothing for Muslim terrorist to win nor anything for us to lose. Yes we should take on this criminal element just as we would any other but this is no more a life and death struggle than it is with maladjusted sociopaths with semi-automatic weapons shooting up schools or to protect their drug turf.

You state that their tactic is to foment fear and disruption, fear and disruption is self-generating, stop fearing by placing the real capability of terrorist into its proper perspective. Even the attacks of 9/11, outside of the reasonable step to halt all air travel, did little to disrupt 99.9% of Americans outside of lower Manhattan. Even above 14th St, life in New York went on pretty much as usual considering the circumstances. Yet we allowed the attacks to diminish our civil liberties, concepts of justice, and deluded the American public into endorsing a disastrous war that did nothing other than to exacerbate the problem.

Then and now my response has been like the 6'5, 275 lbs bouncer that gets punched by the pipsqueak, I ask, "what else you got?" That doesn't mean that like the bouncer I don't pound the guy into the sidewalk, but I don't start looking at every other pipsqueak like he's going to be the second coming of Mike Tyson. Yeah, the bouncer will get punched by some other punk again, but so what. When you are 6'5 and 275lbs you don't walk in fear because you know you are the strongest badass on the block and the U.S. is no different. We can and have pounded many countries into the pavement, we have the strongest military ever known to man so why should we live in fear that is the mindset of weaklings and too many so-called conservatives at like it. Maybe more of them need to go to a ball game the next time some jihadist kills fewer people than we kill on a weekend.

How do we win, when we stop reacting by eating way at our own values. When we demonstrate that no matter how tragic such acts are on a personal level, they don't affect us as a nation.
We had to retaliate for 9/11. You just don't sit back and do nothing. You would look weak and vulnerable to other countries. To me, we did not fight to win, especially when Obama took over.

There was a financial hit to the nation. It took some time to get back to normal.

I do agree with you on the civil liberties front - if there is a perceived problem with a certain subset of people, deal with those people. But then there are cries of unfairness and profiling - so then everyone becomes a suspect instead of just dealing with a certain group.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
We had to retaliate for 9/11. You just don't sit back and do nothing.
Oh, I recognized that fact immediately although I have to admit that it wasn't my first impulse.

Quote:
To me, we did not fight to win, especially when Obama took over.
I'm not going to debate that issue, because by any objective standard the charge is simply risible.

Quote:
I do agree with you on the civil liberties front - if there is a perceived problem with a certain subset of people, deal with those people. But then there are cries of unfairness and profiling - so then everyone becomes s suspect instead of just dealing with a certain group.
So your argument is civil liberties are only for some people not all people and we stop looking at people as individuals but as groups, even if they are "subsets." Based upon that argument, I can see why you think the terrorist are capable of winning.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:04 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
You make a good point, OP. I don't necessarily agree with the more authoritarian republicans about banning all muslims though.. you're assuming everyone does. I think people shouldn't be able to immigrate here without a background check and the ability to speak our language to the point of fluency, however. I don't think that's asking too much, personally. Other countries aren't as hospitable in just letting in any one regardless of whether they can even speak the language, well at least until the last year or two they weren't.

Most humans have varying levels of hypocrisy in themselves, many having a "do as I say, not as I do" attitude. The fact you'd expose some cracks in human nature shouldn't be all that surprising. Politicians all the time will defend an action if their party does it, while oppose it if the other party does.. it's all a circus of lies and deceit. How many genuinely honest people exist? Everyone has, and loves, their secrets.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:18 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Just to move things along... you guys believe if we pulled every troop out of the region (not including the air bases), there would be no terrorism from those people.
Who can say? But can you not believe that our bombing their homes,weddings, shops, funerals, schools, hospitals, etc. wouldn't have blowback?
Or, overturning their elected governments, enacting embargoes, denying them access to their own funds, enabling their neighbor to dominate them, supporting violent regimes...
Also if we don't have any troops in region, it means they won't be casualties, we will no longer be violating our own constitution and taxpayers won't be on the hook.
Wake up Dr.

Quote:
You believe they are defending themselves? That attacking civilian areas is an act of defense?
can they meet us on a battlefield? Can they overturn our elected govt?
I believe they are reacting to our dangerous foreign policy with one of the few tools they have.
For the record, I am not condoning any attack on civilians, non combatants, etc.
It's time folks (a doctor no less should grasp this) start looking at the cause and not just the symptoms.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I take it by the tone of the first post, the OP does support disarming everyone, thinking that will change human nature and make everything better....
As a gun owner, a concealed weapons carrier, and a lover of all things labeled 1911 ACP, you have missed the mark... considerably.

And while we sort of on the subject. While I adamantly opposed the war in Iraq, I was very much in favor of invading Afghanistan, wiping out al Qaeda and anyone who stood in the way of that project. However how that became a war with the Taliban and nation building in general wasn't a part of any intention on my part. I would have preferred that along with the above, I would have liked to have seen President Bush explain that once we had completed our mission the Afghans, including the Taliban, could go back to do whatever they wanted to do absent harboring terrorist. And if they did, to explain that we would redo the whole exercise until the got it.

Quote:
The global elite are accelerating their global melting pot agenda.
Human migration isn't an "elitist" agenda, it is a natural human inclination.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:24 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
After my divorce I sold the big house with huge inground pool with a grandfathered in diving board.

Out of pure jealousy, I can be honest, I want all pools banned. Simply because I don't have my own anymore.

And I don't like the laws that puts the responsibility of someone drowning in another's pool in the homeowner, even if the individual was trespassing. Wait, that kind of also ties in the responsibility of gun ownership... I sold those too but I don't want them banned.

Cats cause a lot of allergies in people. I like cats. Should we ban cats?
It's 80 degrees today and I really want pools banned since I can't jump in one right now.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:31 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Following every mass shooting in the U.S. gun control advocates cry out for tighter gun control measures. Those cries are invariably met with the argument that cars and pools kill more people each year than guns so why don't gun advocates call for a ban on cars and swimming pools, a facetious argument at best, but the argument nonetheless.

Yet when we are confronted by a terrorist attack that kills less people than at least five of the countries worst mass shootings we experience near hysteria and calls for the most outrageous prohibitions upon a whole sector of the U.S. population like Sen. Ted Cruz's call for "patrolling and securing" of Muslim communities?

Even the attacks of 9/11 not only didn't increase the overall murder rate, the fact is despite those attacks the murder rate for 2011 represented a .7% decrease yet the nation hysterically marched off to wars that created over 4,000 additional deaths of Americans and countless others in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Recently the President came under fire for attending a baseball game while on a state visit to Cuba rather than doing, what I don't know, about the terrorist attacks in Belgium. The administrations justification has been the terrorist attacks no matter how heinous in a country 4,000 miles away should not be accorded such prominence as to disrupt the President schedule. I have long held that position.

The objective of acts of terrorism is to spread fear and to disrupt the daily lives of its targets. Terrorism like domestic gun violence must be combatted but like the argument of guns, cars, and pools there has to be some sense of proportionality, because very time there is a terrorist act and politicians and the public go into panic mode the terrorist achieve their objective. That is how they win.
Yep, cons conveniently ignore the thousands upon thousands of deaths by cancer, heart disease, gun violence, domestic abuse, etc. "Small price to pay for freedom" & all that jazz. Yet some terrorists blow up some people overseas & the hysteria ensues. Never mind the problems going on in this country. Cons are a bunch of hypocrites, plain & simple.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:37 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Nothing to worry about. Let's just forget about terrorist attacks. Christians are even worse. You would be killed by heart disease or cancer most likely. So let's just go on pretending nothing is wrong in this world.

Don't be paranoid, don't be a stupid Con. Life goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies