Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:53 PM

378 posts, read 1,443,642 times

Advertisements

If the stock market keeps acting the way it is do you think we can get into a new Depression cause I think were already in a Recession which is the first step to a depression. What is your opinion on this topic?

Last edited by Bo; 03-03-2009 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Moved from San Antonio forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 10:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times
Actually we are not in a recession yet.We have certainly seen recessions and they were much worse than this. Unemployment around the country is still low with some pockets being high.If we go into a recession we would not know when it started for sometime.I remember the recession during the carter administration . Inflation in double digits;gas prices triped quickly and unemploymant was very high.the main problem is in housing causing ripple effects in other areas similar to the banking crisis in I beleive the 80"s.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:52 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,448,439 times
Wasn't Carter Stagflation? Were you had a non growing economy, yet prices on everything went up? I think there is enough liquid money floating around were we maybe safe from recession, again we won't know until about six months from now.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:39 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,473,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
If the stock market keeps acting the way it is do you think we can get into a new Depression cause I think were already in a Recession which is the first step to a depression. What is your opinion on this topic?
Until you see job growth affected, it is NOT a recession. I believe that the real cause for the changes in the stock market is actually a correction (which the market does cyclically), and has been forcast and "overdue" if you will now for almost 14 months.

That, coupled with high gas prices and poor risk "creative financing with adjustable interest rates" are the issue here, not job growth.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:45 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,438,190 times
SA is supposed to add another 85,000 jobs in the next 5 years (according to MetroStudy). Our unemployment is low. Stocks have dropped some, but they've also had record days in between. This is nothing close to a recession.

The problem is that we're in a generation of cable news and everyone stays glued to their televisions to see what doom and gloom is on the horizon. Bad news gets ratings, but honestly, we're in a great economy. Talk to my grandfather who lived through the depression. We're not going to be anywhere near that.

Our economy is too diverse to go through a depression. If we're standing in bread lines and 70% of the workforce is unemployed, then we're in a depression. There are too many safeguards against that. Won't happen.

Like Paka said, the market's just correcting itself, which it needs to do from time to time.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:01 AM

778 posts, read 2,506,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
The problem is that we're in a generation of cable news and everyone stays glued to their televisions to see what doom and gloom is on the horizon. Bad news gets ratings, but honestly, we're in a great economy. Talk to my grandfather who lived through the depression. We're not going to be anywhere near that.
Exactly! It seems like people are getting nervous about this based on the news, not on any real issues like loss of job etc. If all the news stations just got together one day and stopped talking about it, most people would have no idea one way or another how the economy was doing unless they personally got laid off or got a raise.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:54 AM

8,399 posts, read 23,014,072 times
Kev Crawford nailed it, this is more media hype than anything else. Remember this is an election year, and the media tends to lean left. Secondly, how often does the media, and I am including the major news networks here, really do the homework on an issue they are reporting? Rarely. Usually, they will interview one so-called "expert" but it is far from being accurate research. Lastly, when was the last time the major media outlets reported any good news? Other than the occasional story to boost ratings, 95% of what is reported is negative and usually sensationalized. That is one reason I try to avoid watching the news, which is tough as it is on all day all over my building on big screen TVs. I just tune it out, and if I want accurate reporting, I go online or watch BBC World News.

Even though the contract I am on is subject to renewal every year, I am not worried about being unemployed. There are lots of jobs out there and we can still afford to buy all the items we classify as basic needs. As a matter of fact, we can afford quite a few luxuries as well. If the US was in a recession or on its way to an actual depression (which is simply a severe or long recession), there would be many more obvious indicators and no doubt about it!

Much like all the hype behind the fall of the housing market, the belief that there is a recession coming is pure hyperbole that is political motivated. Don’t fall for it!

Cheers! M2

Old 02-09-2008, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 8,598 times
Confucius says, "he who will not economize will have to agonize".

Banks freezing credit lines, increases in foreclosures, investment banks writing down assets, etc., are all early signs we (the U.S.) are headed for/in a recession.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:06 AM

944 posts, read 3,065,639 times
And who is paying Metrostudy for those results? Metrostudy is a private corporation that works FOR the housing industry. I call a recession.

Last edited by hello13685; 02-09-2008 at 12:15 PM..

Old 02-09-2008, 11:21 AM

260 posts, read 1,146,248 times
Recession is defined as 2 quarters of negative growth. That hasn't happened. We are not in a recession. Not in a depression. Are we in a period of decline, yes. No need for alarms, just preparation and foresight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies