Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 03:30 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,086,534 times

Advertisements

I know that reparations for slavery have been in the news lately. People make arguments for and against them, trying to use logic to sway others in one direction or another.

The truth of the matter is that it's painfully obvious to me that most of this "logic" is bunk. It's all about self-interest. Most black people are in favor of slave reparations because they will benefit from it. Likewise, most white people (and I guess other races) are opposed to slave reparations because they'll be hurt by it, and black people will benefit from it.

So, my proposal to expose everybody's thinly veiled hypocrisy regarding the issue is the following:

1. Allow reparations to pass (this will anger white people)
2. Come to a consensus about the amount of reparations each descendant of slaves will receive
3. At the last minute, cut this amount in third (this will anger black people)

In the end, everyone is unhappy, and the obviously transparent debate about what's in it for me is solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 03:35 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,569,156 times
How many generations will this span? Are future offspring also entitled to reparations until the end of time? Who's going to pay for this and how?

Old 01-27-2016, 03:47 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,982,255 times
Totally ridiculous! Nothing but freeloading people trying to get something for nothing. Not a penny from me.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:11 PM

3,876 posts, read 2,253,628 times
All of my ancestors 4-5 generations ago belonged to somebody.

But I don't agree with reparations because:

I don't think that giving people money helps them out in any way; It would actually do harm because most wouldn't put it to good use. Besides, there are a number of benefits that people already get.

These kinds of handouts also serve to stigmatize all black people as "free-loaders", much in the same way that affirmative action delegitimizes black academic achievement. Any black person that went to a good school is labeled an "Affirmative action baby".

It would be very messy. There's no way to determine who's actually a slave descendant. How black do you have to be? One drop? Would foreign black people count even though none of their ancestors were slaves in the United States? I bet hispanics would even contrive some way to get the money.

This would only cause problems.

Last edited by Tritone; 01-27-2016 at 04:34 PM..

Old 01-27-2016, 04:12 PM

45,357 posts, read 26,621,258 times
No descendent is entitled to any non-descendants money.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:14 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,915,110 times
My problem with reparations is giving the money to people who were never slaves, paid out by people who never owned slaves.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:38 PM

109 posts, read 68,639 times
How many black people in America today have legally been owned as slaves?

Old 01-27-2016, 05:59 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,770,983 times
It's a preposterous idea, not worthy of debate. It's not about fairness it's about the bigger plan of destroying the US Middle Class & lowering everyone into a state of poverty & dependence. Anything that works towards that goal is pushed by the media since they work for the people who call the shots (it ain't the White House, lol). Taxes, mass immigration, global warming, globalization, war on terror & now reparations, all designed to take from the middle class and make them dependent on the government for their basic survival.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:03 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,855,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
My problem with reparations is giving the money to people who were never slaves, paid out by people who never owned slaves.
I am against reparations because it is putting a monetary value on that person. Basically treating those people held as slaves as a commodity to be bought and paid for.

Because those people at issue have all died and any REAL reparations should have been made to them personally and not to some family member that never met that person or might not even be aware of their ancestry of slavery.

To decide that each slave is worth x dollars, you have engaged in the hypocrisy of reducing the person to property. And wasn't that the exact reason that slavery was so immoral?

Old 01-27-2016, 06:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,975,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgardian View Post
How many black people in America today have legally been owned as slaves?
i am all for reparations providing you can find someone who was a slave that is still alive. which means this person would have to have been born before 1865, and i doubt seriously you will find someone over 150 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies