Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 01:28 AM

22,646 posts, read 12,283,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Uh... I just happen to be in the construction business. I'm a civil engineer - construction management. My brother is a structural engineer and he runs hundred million dollar projects.

What you just said is pure hot air.
Nope. It is not "pure hot air".

I've seen what has happened to the construction industry and even talked to those who either lost their livelihoods to illegal aliens or struggle to stay afloat.

Where is it that you work where there are no illegal aliens working construction? Please pass this info along. I'm sure that there are plenty of Americans who would move there in a minute to take those jobs. Are you involved in hiring subcontractors? If so, do you make sure that they use E-verify? Or do you turn a blind eye when it comes to whom they hire?

I've witnessed this loss of jobs with my own eyes. When we bought our current house in the late 90s, all the workers were American citizens. The state to the west of us is a poor state. Many construction workers who lived there would pack their campers and live in camp sites so that they could take those construction jobs. Gradually, they all lost out when sleazy subcontractors undercut them by using illegal aliens and paying them under the table.

Here, I'll even give you a link to read. It is one person's story but there are many, many more like it. Do some googling.

http://www.thesocialcontract.com/boo...on-worker.html

Last edited by BOS2IAD; 01-27-2016 at 01:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 01:57 AM

38,805 posts, read 26,645,076 times
Quote:
If you are a native born American and you can't compete with an immigrant who can barely speak English, I don't feel sorry for you.

If you are a native born American and you can't compete with H1B Visa workers, I don't feel sorry for you.

If you never saved up enough to retire, I don't feel sorry for you.

If you can't find anything better than part time jobs... well you get the idea.

My family stepped onto US soil back in 1990 with exactly $10. We now have a mathematician, an electrical engineer, a civil engineer, a structural engineer, and a software engineer. In fact, my niece is getting ready to go to med school. Her brother is looking to go to MIT to study robotic engineering.

So, you could say we are the embodiment of the American dream.

Speaking of which, what happened to your "personal responsibility" thingy that you conservatives keep spouting?

In short, if you were privileged enough to have been born in the US where all the advantages were yours and you still ended up with part time jobs, don't get angry at people like us who actually cared about our future. Get angry at yourselves for having limited yourselves to part-time retail non-career jobs.

If it makes you feel better, you can continue to make fun of us Asian Americans for our nerdiness and our slanted eyes.

Immigrant workers come in all shape and sizes.

If you are at the bottom, they are there to compete with you for the worst jobs the economy has to offer.

In many cases, employers who have to compete with those who employ illegals cannot stay in business without also employing illegals.

None of those low-wage illegals pay taxes or pay for health insurance, so they are a drain on the system coming and going.

Also, since they show no income, they are eligible for all sorts of government benefits that the legitimate working poor cannot have.

As for those H-1B visa workers, they are one in five IT workers in the United States.

Perhaps you could explain to our best and brightest why they have to have their earnings potential crushed by foreign workers so that corporate billionaires like Bill Gates can have even more of what they don`t even need.

Those people who don`t have enough for retirement have likely lost huge amounts of what they did save in their retirement accounts and home value through no fault of their own.

Goldman-Sachs along with their friends in the Democrat Party stole their savings and investments with the same scams they have used since the 1930s and they stand poised to do it again, provided they can get cap and trade or some other carbon tax passed.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...chine-20100405

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...iSL/story.html

Forbes Welcome

It isn`t always just a matter of hard work.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:24 AM

38,805 posts, read 26,645,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Vote Republican if you want to remember what losing 800,000 Jobs a month when Obama walked into the White House in 2009 & $4 a Gallon gasoline with GM going bankrupt at the same time.

70 plus months of positive Job growth since then, Gas is under $2 bucks and the UnEmployment rate is at 5% now.

Put the GOP back into power and we could at least look forward to another War by the Pukes again while the "established /Neo-cons" try to get rid of "ObamaCare" forthe 100th. time!

Go fight your internal wars GOP! We still remember your disasterous reign from 2001-2009!

Gas in under $2/gallon because Republicans passed the 2005 Energy Policy Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exempt...es_federal_law

Democrats wanted Cap and Trade and the GS scam that would accompany it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...chine-20100405

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...iSL/story.html

Forbes Welcome

There is no 2008 financial meltdown without Bill Clinton.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...cause-our.html

When Republicans control both houses of Congress, running deficits decline significantly or the annual federal budget is in balance.

The job market also improves during these periods of Republican control as unemployment decreases or the nation is at full employment.

On those three occasions since 1946 when Republicans controlled both houses, their record is consistent and the party of the president, at least as these two areas of economic performance are concerned, is irrelevant.

108th-109th Congress......Bush Jr.(R) Unemployment 6.0% to 4.6%, Deficit $377 Bn 2003, Deficit $248 Bn 2006

104th-106th Congress......Clinton (D) Unemployment 5.6% to 4.0%, Deficit $164 Bn 1995, Surplus $236 Bn 2000

80th Congress.................Truman (D) Unemployment 3.9% to 3.8%, Deficit $15.9 Bn 1946, Surplus $4 Bn 1947

So far, since Republicans gained control of both houses in the 2010 midterm, deficits, $1299 Bn in 2011, have decreased to $492 Bn in 2014.

Unemployment has declined from 9.2% in January 2011 to 5.0% in December of 2015.

I predict they go four for four.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:26 AM

5,716 posts, read 3,179,233 times
Don't forget about the job of cleaning up Obama's mess that Ted or Donald will have. That's going to be a big one.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:06 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,582,913 times
The Repubics are so desperate to gin up and manufacture a sense of despair it's comical now.
  • Can't say his policies didn't lift us out and avoid the 2nd great US depression (the sh*t was flying towards the fan in late 2007).
  • Can't use jobless numbers b/c it's been declining for the last 7 years
  • Can't use high gas because it's been lowest in 15 years
  • Can't use the economy because even in a worldwide recession the US economy is strongest in the world

It's funny, if the Repubics were in the drivers seat they would herald all of these wonderful achievements. However their only selling tactic is to stoke fear and anger. Where are all the "pull yourself up by your bootstrap" and "buy your own d*mn medicine" conservatives? They seem like jellyfish by pandering to this "woe is me" mindset.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:09 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,910,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Vote Republican if you want to remember what losing 800,000 Jobs a month when Obama walked into the White House in 2009 & $4 a Gallon gasoline with GM going bankrupt at the same time.

70 plus months of positive Job growth since then, Gas is under $2 bucks and the UnEmployment rate is at 5% now.

Put the GOP back into power and we could at least look forward to another War by the Pukes again while the "established /Neo-cons" try to get rid of "ObamaCare" forthe 100th. time!

Go fight your internal wars GOP! We still remember your disasterous reign from 2001-2009!

Though I can't stand the lying-a** Obama, what you said is true[not sure about the job-growth], excellent reminder!

Old 01-27-2016, 03:25 AM

12,291 posts, read 6,097,744 times
Quote:
Uh... I just happen to be in the construction business. I'm a civil engineer - construction management. My brother is a structural engineer and he runs hundred million dollar projects.

What you just said is pure hot air.

And did you legally enter the US in 1990 - and from what country? Your parents obviously instilled in the kids that education was the key to success and they should be proud of all you've accomplished - but many American born do not have the strong family background needed nor the brains to become doctors and engineers. Many do have the ability to work with their hands and make a good living doing so through technical programs or on the job training, unfortunately many of the illegals have taken over these jobs so that American born have to take jobs for far less.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:16 AM

63,605 posts, read 29,792,161 times
Quote:
If you are a native born American and you can't compete with an immigrant who can barely speak English, I don't feel sorry for you.

If you are a native born American and you can't compete with H1B Visa workers, I don't feel sorry for you.

My family stepped onto US soil back in 1990 with exactly $10. We now have a mathematician, an electrical engineer, a civil engineer, a structural engineer, and a software engineer. In fact, my niece is getting ready to go to med school. Her brother is looking to go to MIT to study robotic engineering.

Speaking of which, what happened to your "personal responsibility" thingy that you conservatives keep spouting?

In short, if you were privileged enough to have been born in the US where all the advantages were yours and you still ended up with part time jobs, don't get angry at people like us who actually cared about our future. Get angry at yourselves for having limited yourselves to part-time retail non-career jobs.

If it makes you feel better, you can continue to make fun of us Asian Americans for our nerdiness and our slanted eyes.

Are you joking? This is about Americans not being able to compete with with illegal aliens in the blue-collared jobs that they love to do. The greedy employers who hire them don't give a hoot what language they speak because they hire bi-lingual workers to communicate with them. It's all about increasing their profits on the backs of the American worker/taxpayer. Same thing goes for the IT industries were legal immigrants are imported so that the employers can pay them less. What does any of the above have to do with not being personally responsible? Just because one is born here doesn't mean they have a lot of advantages. Even when they have those advantages cheap, foreign labor comes along and takes their jobs or reduces their wages. This isn't about part time retail work. This is about full time career jobs. With your attitude about Americans why are you even here? Are we just a cash cow to you? I don't make fun of anyone's looks. It is your character that I find objectionable.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:45 AM

37,886 posts, read 41,353,954 times
Since Obama took office, 67% of employment growth has gone to immigrants (legal and illegal). Natives have done better in the labor market recently. From the third quarter of 2011 to the third quarter of 2012, two-thirds of employment growth went to native-born workers.

1.94 million more immigrants (legal and illegal) working in the third quarter of 2012 than at the start of 2009, when the president took office compared to a 938,000 increase for natives over the same period.

Most of the immigrant growth in employment was the result of new immigration, rather than immigrants already in the country.

In occupations where immigrant gains were the largest, there were 2.2 million unemployed natives.

A large share of employment growth was going to immigrants well before President Obama took office.

When auditing employers who hire illegal workers, the administration has not detained the illegal workers as a matter of policy, allowing them to take new jobs.

The administration called on the Supreme Court in 2010 to strike down Arizona’s law requiring employers to verify the legal status of new workers.

The full 2012 report with charts is here:

Who Got Jobs During the Obama Presidency? | Center for Immigration Studies

Of course, the "we want immigrant cheap labor" guys say:

"Each immigrant creates 1.2 local jobs for local workers, most of them going to native workers, and 62% of these jobs are in non-traded services. Immigrants appear to raise local non-tradeables sector wages and to attract native-born workers from elsewhere in the country."

Immigrants create jobs for local workers - Business Insider

So, who knows what's true or not...

Old 01-27-2016, 09:30 AM

1,431 posts, read 922,957 times
Quote:

So you guys made it off $10 with absolutely no help from the government?

That last line is just weird. Why bring race into it? Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies