Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 12:23 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,345,770 times

Advertisements

There was another thread that sang a similar tune over in Current events.

I really don't understand how folks from "Real America" get this notion that us big city Northeast Corridor Urban folks have difficulty dealing with... pretty much anything. If you aren't self-reliant, perhaps not in the way folks in rural areas think but the kind of self-reliance that is required to live in a big city, you won't last every long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 12:39 PM

51,026 posts, read 24,518,580 times
When I moved to the sparse west (not that Colorado Springs is exactly Podunk), the "breaking news" on the 10 p.m. broadcast was "Barn fire, all horses saved).

So let's see, a barn fire that affected one family and no animals - versus - a storm that affected a third of the nation's popualtion, with the threat of massive power outages in sub-freezing weather, literally thousands of flights canceled, streets to hundreds of thousands of homes that won't be plowed out for days, over 900 accidents in northern Virginia in just one day, death toll of over 100, extensive shore erosion in New Jersey and New York.

Yup. OP, you're right, no news with the blizzard.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,506,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
... Explain this to me.
The only groups making a sensation about the blizzard are the media and the politicians. Turn of the TV

[and carry on]

Old 01-24-2016, 12:47 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,409,207 times
Quote:
It is newsworthy to people in New York. To people far away from there is isn't. And I don't think that storm was the big dangerous deal the media made it into. That is the point. It may not be the people, but the media is making you guys look bad. Snow happens in other places in the US every winter, but we hear about New York snow every winter regardless the amount of it.

I wouldn't want to live there, but I would like to visit sometime. I'm sure it has a lot of great things to see. My Grandfather was born there.
I wrote this in the Current Events thread, and I'll repeat it here: a lot of us living in flyover country have professional and social connections on the coast. Our concerns do not end at the state border. Several members of my husband's development team are sitting in Jersey and Pennsylvania, and they fly back and forth frequently. The storm might not matter to you, but it certainly does to him, and lots of other people in the Midwest and West.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:53 PM

5,350 posts, read 4,450,946 times
Ain't no thing. Skim through these pictures taken in my neck of the woods today. Fun will be had by all!

Leader

Fun surf boarding

Nothing to see here folks.

USA Today even thinks it's nothing!

/sarcasm
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:42 PM

6,268 posts, read 5,086,326 times
Quote:
It is newsworthy to people in New York. To people far away from there is isn't. And I don't think that storm was the big dangerous deal the media made it into. That is the point. It may not be the people, but the media is making you guys look bad. Snow happens in other places in the US every winter, but we hear about New York snow every winter regardless the amount of it.

I wouldn't want to live there, but I would like to visit sometime. I'm sure it has a lot of great things to see. My Grandfather was born there.
I live in Idaho as well so I'm right there with you when it comes to mild amusement about the "world falling apart" 'cause snow is headed up the eastern side of the country. It is second nature for everyone here to have a four wheel drive vehicle, to stock up on food, to have emergency supplies ready in case of road closures and power outages, and to just hunker down when it gets rough.

Having said that, we are a state with one million people. This snow event on the right side of the country is epic in terms of snow fall amounts because it directly impacts not only the capital of our nation but also some 80 million citizens. You're correct that many fail to prepare on the eastern side of the country even when they have a week or more notice, but that doesn't take away from the fact that this storm will impact 1/4 of everyone who lives in the United States.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:54 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,522,967 times
NYC had a blizzard in 1968 and my street was snowed in for three days.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:57 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,752,329 times
It does not look like a bad storm to me, and I don't understand why the news outlets go on about it.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:59 PM

13,310 posts, read 7,890,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It does not look like a bad storm to me, and I don't understand why the news outlets go on about it.
They're snowing you.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:17 PM

22,218 posts, read 19,520,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This was the 2nd biggest stormm NYC ever had .1 inch from the record at Central Park (other locations around NYC had a record snowfall). It was also records or near records across numerous cities in the Mid-Atlantic, dropping a full winter's worth of snowfall from NYC to D.C and in some cases more snow than it averages in an entire year. It was also the amount of people it impact, between 1/3 and 1/4 of the country experienced record or near record snowfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies