Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 09:38 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,716,683 times

Advertisements

Saudi Arabia Has 100,000 Air Conditioned Tents That Can House 3 Million People Sitting Empty Yet Has Taken Zero Refugees » Infowars Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Any truth to this? Anything NATO, U.N., EU, or the US do to pressure Saudi Arabia in to taking refugees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 09:40 AM

27,682 posts, read 16,166,190 times
doubt they want to go there...better looking women in europe and america and the benefits wow, Oh , and saudi arabia does whatever they please.. just ask the petro dollar

Old 11-19-2015, 09:45 AM

132 posts, read 91,720 times
No, I did not. What's interesting to me is there there are no reports from the main U.S. news outlets.

From the 2nd article below, it provides more details and pictures.

Quote:
While European countries are being lectured about their failure to take in enough refugees, Saudi Arabia – which has taken in precisely zero migrants – has 100,000 air conditioned tents that can house over 3 million people sitting empty.

The sprawling network of high quality tents are located in the city of Mina, spreading across a 20 square km valley, and are only used for 5 days of the year by Hajj pilgrims. As the website Amusing Planet reports, “For the rest of the year, Mina remains pretty much deserted.

Saudis argue that the tents in Mina are needed to host the annual Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca, but given that the Arabic concept of Ummah is supposed to offer protection to all Muslims under one brotherhood, surely an alternative location could be found so that Mina can be repurposed to house desperate families fleeing war and ISIS persecution?

Although Saudi Arabia claims it has taken in 500,000 Syrians since 2011, rights groups point out that these people are not allowed to register as migrants. Many of them are also legal immigrants who moved there for work. In comparison, Lebanon has accepted 1.3 million refugees – more than a quarter of its population.
Saudi Arabia says it's been taking Syrian refugees the whole time and no one's really convinced | Al Bawaba

KSA takes zero refugees despite having 100,000 tents able to house 3 million people | Dhaka Tribune

Last edited by crazysoul; 11-19-2015 at 11:09 AM..

Old 11-19-2015, 09:54 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,716,683 times
That makes more sense 100,000 tents to house 3 million people.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:49 AM

13,699 posts, read 9,024,338 times
This is an interesting article:

Western Media's Miscount of Saudi Arabia's Syrian Refugees*|*Anhvinh Doanvo

I found several others of the same ilk.

In part, it explains that, since Saudi Arabia and several other Middle Eastern countries are not parties to the United Nations 'protocols on refugees', and hence those who fled from Iraq and Syria into Saudi Arabia et al would not be counted as 'refugees'.

Now, the Saudi's claim that they have accepted some 1 million Syrians, and that are being provided with housing, medical, education, etc. Those '100,000' tents exist, but only for Mecca purposes.

On the other hand, I am not really trustful of anything that the Kingdom of Il Saud says. They may, or may not, have accepted 1 million or more people (see this link):

Saudi Arabia denies not giving Syrians sanctuary - Al Jazeera English

Nevertheless, as the writer notes in the first link, there is really no physical barrier keeping those in Syria and Iraq from heading to Saudi Arabia. It is a short distance to the border. If I were a Muslim Syrian, and my brand of Islam were the same as Saudi, I would probably head to Saudi Arabia. If I were a lukewarm Muslim (which I believe many are, just like we have lukewarm Christians in abundance) I would head the other way, to Europe (anywhere I could get a drink without being lashed, in short).

Which is more reasonable: that Saudi Arabia has such good fencing along their border that 'zero' people have tried or been permitted to enter the country, or the articles stating that the UN does not count those people as 'refugees' since Saudi Arabia is not a participant in the refugee act?

Old 11-19-2015, 05:08 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,189,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
You can look at Google Earth.

It's possible those tents were left there after Desert Storm or Iraqi Freedom.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Saudi set that up for the pilgrimages, not for refugees.
Place would look like Detroit after a few weeks of refugees living there.
Have you seen pictures of what some of the camps look like ?
Have these people NEVER seen a garbage can ?

Saudis Accused of Not Taking Refugees Despite 100K Empty Tents | News | teleSUR English
The 20 square km tent city of Mina is used for five days each year by Hajj pilgrims, and deserted for the rest of the time.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:18 PM

21,167 posts, read 19,761,393 times
The tents are used for the Hajj (annual Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies