Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 06:16 PM

638 posts, read 2,284,554 times

Advertisements

As a scientist I have to say, this is the most unethical crap I have ever heard of. Well, ok, maybe lying to get us into a war was as unethical.

RealClimate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 06:20 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,465,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
As a scientist I have to say, this is the most unethical crap I have ever heard of. Well, ok, maybe lying to get us into a war was as unethical.

RealClimate
I have read about this a while ago and am never amazed how low some people will stoop.... but money talks, doesn't it?

Old 02-01-2008, 06:24 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,410,398 times
Yup, pretty bad.

Ken

Old 02-01-2008, 06:27 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,278,981 times
LOL the left is doing the same thing.. Or they disregard any who wont completely agree even if the science used is flawed, which it is. There is no accurate model yet used that can predict or support the claims made by Gore.
I am all for a green earth and green policies. Hey I live in the country and like fresh air and clean water. I am all for laws to ensure this continues. But lets face it. When the messengers disregard green policies as a matter of their own convience its a bit hard to take them at their word. Private jets, suv's. Houses with a carbon footprint the size of 20 average homes? Seems like the messengers don't believe their own rhetoric.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:34 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,927,594 times
The article IS retarded... you guys must not know ANYTHING about conferences... I been to many of them, albeit never to a climate conference, as my interest are more medically related.

1) I don't know ANY conference that doesn't pay for its speakers as well as provide room and board. If I invited someone to come speak at a hospital, its MORE than just room and board. This article smacks of unintelligent propaganda for the global warming conspiracy theorists.

2) An independent committee selects their speakers? As far as I am concerned, speakers are chosen for a LOT of different reasons and to suggest that an independent committee can only choose its speakers its also another dumbfounded opinion from the article. The conference is usually a money-maker for the one starting the conference, if it didn't make money, then there wouldn't be a conference. One of the ways it makes money is through vendor support who also has a voice in choosing speakers.

3) Advertising costs money and the fact that they want more publicity blitz about their conferences only suggests the INTELLIGENCE of the people trying to raise awareness for their cause.

Sorry if the conference theme flies against your convictions that global warming is due to CO2 emission but the truth is sometimes hard to swallow...

Old 02-01-2008, 06:38 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,715,368 times
Is that like having a conference on global warming and then refusing to allow anyone who disagrees with man-made global warming from coming?

Old 02-01-2008, 06:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,278,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Is that like having a conference on global warming and then refusing to allow anyone who disagrees with man-made global warming from coming?
That be it.
Or when they claim to have a 1000 page document that all these scientists agree on, but in fact only agree on the portion they themselves wrote.
Oh how the plot thickens.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:03 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,611,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post

RealClimate
Welcome to the good ol' U S of A.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:43 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,410,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The article IS retarded... you guys must not know ANYTHING about conferences... I been to many of them, albeit never to a climate conference, as my interest are more medically related.

I don't know ANY conference that doesn't pay for its speakers as well as provide room and board. If I invited someone to come speak at a hospital, its MORE than just room and board. This article smacks of unintelligent propaganda for the global warming conspiracy theorists.
Well, I know for fact that at the IT conferences I've attended, only the keynote speakers are paid - these are usually big name individuals brought in specifically to increase interest in and attendance at the conference and often aren't even in the IT field and are usually giving "motivational" type presentations only. Those of us who submit papers to speak on technical subjects are generally rewarded with only free attendence to the conference.

Ken

Old 02-01-2008, 09:00 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,151,877 times
Instead of arguing about the method, is anyone out there looking for the truth? Does it always have to degenerate into nitpicking the "how" and ignoring that something is happening? It's like we're blaming each other that the water hose that connects to the fire hydrant doesn't fit, all while the house in the background is burning to the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies