Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 06:34 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,790,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
but getting back to the OP, this country is going to need those foreign born people since the population growth in this country is slowing
Why do you think America need to increase its population?

Quote:
and we will need the tax revenue to fund all the government programs that have
been created, that no one wants to get rid of.
You won't get much of it from people picking vegetables or cleaning hotels, certainly not enough to offset services consumed. All low income workers are a net drain on tax revenues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 06:48 AM

63,236 posts, read 29,351,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
Immigration reform looks like what Regan & Bush said back in 1980

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixi9_cciy8w

I particularly am in favor of Regan's position.

Healthcare and family leave are separate from immigration. We can reform our healthcare system and save money, it isn't an immigration deal breaker. Immigrants are simply being scapegoated for our problems with spending. We have a bad healthcare system, and spend too much money policing the world. Immigrants didn't vote for that crap we did. And our unemployment rate is not due to immigration. Look at Texas and all of the immigration that has happened there. Why don't they have a high unemployment rate? Because they have a better market to integrate people. We simply need better policy and to stop using immigrants as an excuse.
So-called immigration reform is not about "immigrants" it is about illegal aliens and it is amnesty plain and simple. If you don't think that illegal aliens (again, not "immigrants) don't increase unemployment and reduce wages for Americans then you are either sadly misinformed or in deep denial. They are also a fiscal burden to us. Denoting the facts is not scapegoating.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
why should we cut back on the guest worker programs? are you willing to go out to the farms and pick lettuce in the summer? are you willing to go work in the housekeeping department of a hotel and clean rooms, including bathrooms? when i started in the hotel business in 1981, half the housekeeping workforce was white, when i left the hotel business in 2006, there were very few white people working in housekeeping, in fact in most places the housekeepers were foreign nationals.

and teh key word here is LEGAL. i have no problem with legal immigration. what i do have a problem with is illegal immigration. they need to get sent back to their country of origin and start from the back of the line. no amnesty, no anchor babies, etc.
The only visas we should keep are the H-2A ones of agricultural workers. All the other jobs you mentioned have always been done by Americans for a fair wage. Of course there were are very few whites or blacks working in the housekeeping business anymore because illegal aliens have chased them off those jobs. If you don't speak Spanish you can't get those jobs anymore.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:08 AM

26,077 posts, read 22,278,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think they should look at the future of automation and robotics and think real hard about returning ALL the illegals to their home countries. It makes no sense to be taking in all these people. There will be no meaningful jobs for them.
We are already seeing that here. The illegals continue to come in and the meat/dog food industries have become highly mechanized and the illegals are not able to do that work, think lack of education, and we need fewer workers. Sadly, now the way to bring in income is through anchor babies which scores the whole family benefits in housing, the child gets assistance and the other illegals ride on the anchor's coat tails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This kind of attitude is the problem. Yes, white people can pick vegetables and clean hotel rooms. And if America wasn't flooded with cheap foreign labor they would still being doing that today and they would be paid a decent wage for that work.
https://www.numbersusa.org/pages/jobs-americans-wont-do and Are There Really Jobs Americans Won

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Why do you think America need to increase its population?

You won't get much of it from people picking vegetables or cleaning hotels, certainly not enough to offset services consumed. All low income workers are a net drain on tax revenues.
https://www.numbersusa.com/problems/taxpayer-burden and The Fiscal Burden of Illegal Immigration on United States Taxpayers (2013) We subsidize the low wage workers with tax dollars so that the businesses can realize more income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So-called immigration reform is not about "immigrants" it is about illegal aliens and it is amnesty plain and simple. If you don't think that illegal aliens (again, not "immigrants) don't increase unemployment and reduce wages for Americans then you are either sadly misinformed or in deep denial. They are also a fiscal burden to us. Denoting the facts is not scapegoating.
I know, blurring the difference between illegal aliens and legal immigrants gets SO old! This is only working for those exploiting the illegal labor, renting to them or some how benefiting directly from our subsidizing the illegals with our tax dollars.

Also, US citizens are having a hard time paying for childcare since their children are their responsibility. If someone else, the taxpayers in this case, would have paid to raise our kids, we could have had 5 or 6 instead of 2. The only ones with 5 or 6 kids here are the illegals who consider their children, not a responsibility, but an asset. Anchor babies equal cash in hand. They are such a drain on the public assistance, Medicaid, education and using the emergency room 3 times more than citizens because there, they get medical care for free to them, taxpayer dime for us. We don't use the emergency room because it is so expensive, wonder why?

Old 11-04-2015, 07:11 AM

369 posts, read 194,192 times
I'm for increasing legal immigration and securing the border to keep out terrorists and gangsters. I like immigration in the abstract, because I don't think too highly of most of the people who are already here. I think we can use some fresh blood.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I feel immigration should be more lax to avoid more illegal migration. However, those who enter our country cannot receive any benefits until 6 month's. Within 6 month's must have a job of 16 hour's or more and be enrolled in an English language class for 4 month's. Additionally, after the 6 month's able to apply for citizenship. Additionally, can receive partial benefits during this tine. After another 6 month's be eligible to take citizenship test if in an ESL class for 6 month's and currently employed. Then if pass the test only 3 tries to pass can become a citizen of the U S.

If any time that year none of the requirements are met you are deported.

Our immigration quotas are already based on our ability to provide jobs and resources to legal immigrants and to keep our population growth in check. You would negate that sane policy just so that fewer might not come here illegally? That makes no sense at all. We need to enforce our immigration laws not increase our quotas. Immigrants should already have a job waiting here before they come here and at least have a basic command of English. They should not be able to apply for citizenship in a short 6 months either.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:24 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,462,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhno75 View Post
I'm for increasing legal immigration and securing the border to keep out terrorists and gangsters. I like immigration in the abstract, because I don't think too highly of most of the people who are already here. I think we can use some fresh blood.
Yeah. You've made yourself clear on that point. To the extent that in the few posts you've actually made on this forum to date you've come out as someone who openly deride "working class Americans" (coded word for: poor white people) while simultaneously deriding those that have negative feelings towards Islam as being provincial and disconnected bigots.

It's like you have zero sense of irony.

Good job, you!

Old 11-04-2015, 07:43 AM

369 posts, read 194,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yeah. You've made yourself clear on that point. To the extent that in the few posts you've actually made on this forum to date you've come out as someone who openly deride "working class Americans" (coded word for: poor white people) while simultaneously deriding those that have negative feelings towards Islam as being provincial and disconnected bigots.

It's like you have zero sense of irony.
Many poor white people don't fit the stereotype. But if the shoe fits, they can wear it with my regards.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,388,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
So what does immigration reform look like to you and why?
If I were in charge, I'd take steps to immediately round up and deport as many illegals as possible for as long as possible. I'd impose severe penalties on businesses hiring illegal immigrants and I'd make it a felony to enter the US without inspection (i.e. jump the fence). 10-year bans would be automatic for the first overstay offense. Lifetime ban for any subsequent offense. When you're deported, your property is subject to seizure to be liquidated and put into a fund to help clean up border areas, build the wall, hire/train more border patrol agents, etc.

As for legal immigration, I'd end all chain-based/family-based immigration except for adoptees, spouses (including same-sex) and minor children of US citizens. No exceptions. If you're in the queue now waiting for a visa, you will never get it.

I'd also eliminate every category of work visa and create a new category with very high standards for education/achievement. The fee will be $100,000. No foreign-based company will be eligible to sponsor anyone for it. No company with more than 25% of its work force based overseas will be eligible to sponsor anyone either.

As for people here currently on H-class visas, they will never be eligible for green cards. Ever. They can stay until their visas expire...then they have to leave. See ya.

I would also keep the door open for refugees/asylum seekers, though there would be a high bar. My grandparents were refugees whose lives were in danger every minute of every day until they reached the United States. So, I get it. And I don't want to slam that door shut for others. However, we can't take in the entire population of Syria. Other countries have to share the burden too.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:55 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,462,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhno75 View Post
Many poor white people don't fit the stereotype. But if the shoe fits, they can wear it with my regards.
Not exactly groundbreaking. The same can be said for anyone faced with stereotype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies