Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 03:25 PM

7,649 posts, read 10,012,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehorn_II View Post
Let's see you opinion when the rapture comes. We are a few "Blood Moons" in already.

(And a tip of the hat for linking an article from NYT's "Dealbook")
LOL - There ain't no rapture and there ain't no virgins waiting, and people don't play harps in clouds.

When you are dead you are dead, biologic and electro activity ceases. And anyone so foolish as to believe in religion is brainwashed and willfully ignorant of scientific facts. Religion was created by rulers to control the masses thousands of years ago and people still fall for it.

As for government, the current crop of religious extremists running for President shows the hate and discrimination and dangers to freedom caused by religion. How can someone running for President discriminate against classes of people and think they are richeous.

Last edited by jamies; 11-03-2015 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 03:30 PM

369 posts, read 194,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Well, it's not so simple. Technically you couldn't just ban "Sharia" courts, youd have to ban all religious courts.
That would probably be an infringement of free exercise.

Quote:
I think "Sharia" bans are a short cut way to stop the government from giving deference to religious law which does not comport with US law.

So in other words, you can create a contract on your religion, but don't expect he US courts to uphold and enforce it if someone breaches.
Right, but either the bans are consonant with the First Amendment, in which case they are unnecessary, or they aren't, in which case they are unenforceable.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,779,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Read the article. A lot of folks here talk about Sharia law being implemented. This is how it can occur even in the United States, by first allowing "Christian Law" to be implemented.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/bu...=top-news&_r=1

This is the danger when Christians push for "Religious arbitration". They think its great, not realizing that by doing so they open up the floodgates.

But it's not our legal court system that is being asked to take on a religious viewpoint.
These people willingly signed on knowing how disputes are settled.

And don't think that isn't happening with other religions in the US.

But no religious aspect should enter our legal system.
And your examples are not showing that.

Both secular and religious arbitration is allowed and protected by a Federal law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Arbitration_Act
The Federal Arbitration Act provides for contractually-based compulsory and binding arbitration, resulting in an arbitration award entered by an arbitrator or arbitration panel as opposed to a judgment entered by a court of law. In an arbitration the parties give up the right to an appeal on substantive grounds to a court.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:24 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,395,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Read the article. A lot of folks here talk about Sharia law being implemented. This is how it can occur even in the United States, by first allowing "Christian Law" to be implemented.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/bu...=top-news&_r=1

This is the danger when Christians push for "Religious arbitration". They think its great, not realizing that by doing so they open up the floodgates.
What is "Christian Law?" I am a Christian, and have never heard such a term, nor do I know of any "Christian Law." We live by the laws of the United States of America, just as any other citizens do. There is no separate "Christian Law."

This is not true of Islam. Sharia is the only Law they recognize.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
There is no room in government for any religion. There is a reason for separation of church and state. In fact I feel that religion is given too much sway in government already.
Too bad you didn't live in the era of the framers of the Constitution. You could have taken it up with them. They didn't create any "separation of church and state." What they did write (in the First Amendment) was that Congress was not to pass any law establishing one religion (sect, if you will) as the only recognized church. Virginia had already established such.

How is religion given "too much sway in government today?" Right to life? That is established in the Declaration of Independence. Should we decriminalize murder (Islam allows "mercy killings)? After all that is based on the Ten Commandments. Maybe we should allow murder, if we don't like someone, or if someone has wronged us.

What about theft? Should we decriminalize theft? Oh, wait. We already have. The government steals from the people all the time.

I think you need some education on the Constitution and on American History. You seem to be lacking in both areas.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:53 PM

27,306 posts, read 16,299,146 times
No ........ Just no.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:56 PM

31,377 posts, read 22,390,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
What is "Christian Law?" I am a Christian, and have never heard such a term, nor do I know of any "Christian Law." We live by the laws of the United States of America, just as any other citizens do. There is no separate "Christian Law."

This is not true of Islam. Sharia is the only Law they recognize.
"What is "Christian Law?" I am a Christian, and have never heard such a term, nor do I know of any "Christian Law."

Same Law as I live by as an Agnostic or Atheist. The Faux view that Christian's are some sort of threat to us non-Christians astounds me. The founding fathers were Deist and they still were smart enough to attempt to keep religion out of government. Islam is the exact opposite Religion is government.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,779,903 times
You folks need to go educate yourselves about "arbitration".

These are not issues taken up in the court.
They are agreements gone into by private parties who agree to settle their differences outside the legal system.
It applies to both secular and non secular.

The Federal Arbitration Act was signed in 1925.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"What is "Christian Law?" I am a Christian, and have never heard such a term, nor do I know of any "Christian Law."

Same Law as I live by as an Agnostic or Atheist. The Faux view that Christian's are some sort of threat to us non-Christians astounds me. The founding fathers were Deist and they still were smart enough to attempt to keep religion out of government. Islam is the exact opposite Religion is government.
No, the founders were not "Deists!" That is a myth. Most of them were Calvinist Christians. And, there was no attempt to "keep religion out of government." What they did was to say that Congress could not "establish" one church as the only recognized church (such as the Church of England had been). Virginia had also "established" an official church. That was what the First Amendment was designed to prevent.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:49 PM

34,288 posts, read 19,476,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You folks need to go educate yourselves about "arbitration".

These are not issues taken up in the court.
They are agreements gone into by private parties who agree to settle their differences outside the legal system.
It applies to both secular and non secular.

The Federal Arbitration Act was signed in 1925.
You are correct. Its two parties entering into a contract with arbitration as a provision. Something I have always been against. The arbitration system replaces a legal framework, with a paid for organized framework by the other party. Its inherently unfair. You quite literally are entering into a agreement that you do not completely understand, and that is specifically stacked against you.

In this case its not just a neutral party, its a religious based third party that almost by definition will side against you and for the other party due to the shared faith in addition to the financial agreement.

Additionally its often entered in without the actual knowledge of one of the parties, as the sheer volume of agreements we enter into in a modern society keep us from comprehending them.

Today I have updated my development environment. This means I have entered into literally dozens of agreements today. And I have read none of them as doing so would impact my ability to function in a modern society-a 3 hour process would become a week long effort mired in legalese so thick my brain would quite literally attempt to kill me. The idea that these agreements should be binding in such ways as to force me to ask a religious institution to judge the contract between parties is ludicrous. And while Christianity is pretty mild, other religions specifically allow you to deceive and cheat non believers.

The mixture of religion, and binding arbitration is incredibly dangerous to a functioning society. Binding arbitration agreements are bad as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies