Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 07:54 AM

45,248 posts, read 26,488,601 times

Advertisements

Faith before govt, a definite no no in govt school. Now if he would have saluted the flag...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 07:55 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,546,256 times
Unless a lot happened that we didn't see in the video, a "taunting" penalty is equally stupid. Watch the video, his arm was literally up in the air for about 1 second. Sounds more like a ref on a power trip than anything else.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:57 AM

68,335 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
If he had bowed down towards Mecca instead he'd get a visit to the White House.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Well, he would if he had unrolled a prayer rug and beat his head on the ground.
Ever considered actually reading a cited article before making more "I don't like Obama" comments?

The article clearly states: The unsportsmanlike penalty given to #15 on the touchdown at 4:40 left in the game was his second of the game, which, by rule, is an automatic ejection. That is the reason he was ejected on the call. The call by itself would not warrant an ejection.
Both teams had been warned during the game about taunting, and the flag was a reaction to the behaviors that had already been patterned in the game, not for the reasons given in the media.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:10 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,296,866 times
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the ref was aware that him pointing up to the sky means he is giving praise to God. You people are reaching with this one.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:17 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,689,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This was the kid's second offence for unsportsmanlike conduct during this game.

Reportedly, pointing at the sky was not the issue. Rather, he reportedly was trash talking other players.

Kid denies and claims .........

None of us were at this game, let alone on the field.
I agree with your pessimism, it seems like there is more to this then just one single act of pointing to the sky.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:03 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,351,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
This is exactly what is wrong with America... you penalize young people when they praise God, and reward them when they lie, cheat and steal their way thru corporate ladders to gain riches. What would he get for doing the 'Icky Shuffle' - 100 lashes? Welcome to Muslim America.

'The senior running back said he was ejected from the Dysart High School game Friday night for praising God on the field. Banda, number 15, said he had just made a touchdown and pointed to the sky to praise God. And after that, he said he was ejected from the game for excessive celebration and was told he's not allowed to play in the playoffs.

High school football player claims he was ejected for praising G - CBS 5 - KPHO
While I doubt 'god' cares one way or another about any sporting event, it has been reviewed and overturned, so he can play in the tourney. This was all about the tourney, and nothing else. If he wouldn't have been suspended one game, you'd never have heard about it.

What is wrong with America is those who turn everything into a 'end of the world' incident for their own entertainment.

Quote:
"After review of the video and meeting with the school, player and his family, the call that resulted in the ejection of the Dysart High School player on 10/30/2015 has been overruled.

"After receiving an earlier penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct and several verbal warnings from the officials for taunting the opposing team, the player was called for violating the excessive celebration rule (AIA, Rule 9.5.1.A & C Penalty The second unsportsmanlike foul results in disqualification).

"'Within the context of the game, we understand the mindset of the officials. It was a cumulative effect and the student-players gesture precipitated an additional flag for what they perceived as taunting, not as a faith gesture,'" said Gary Whelchel, State Commissioner of Officials.

"However, after reviewing the entire game video and meeting with the student-player, the Appeal Committee has decided to give the student the benefit of the doubt and overturn the call. The Committee stated that they did not find that specific action met the "excessive" or "prolonged" rule. This decision, negates the ejection and will allow the Dysart player eligibility to participate in upcoming games and tournaments."
The student handled himself better then most of the commenters on the incident.

Quote:
"I am glad that my intentions were heard today," Banda said in a statement. "My family and I appreciate the support of Dysart High School, the team, my family, and friends. I am also appreciative of the AIA hearing my appeal and overturning the earlier decision. My focus is on joining my team for our first playoff appearance in 21 years."

Read more: AIA: Ejected Dysart FB player can play in state tournament - CBS 5 - KPHO

Old 11-04-2015, 04:31 PM

35,738 posts, read 21,100,137 times
If he flicked his finger at the competition they be OKAY with it-- they are Nuts--- too much sun in AZ-- POOR KID-- hang tight -buddy don't let the idiots stop you --

Old 11-04-2015, 05:23 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,825,996 times
I would like to hear both sides of the story. This seems like the kind of story that the Christian Right would exploit and twist in order to play the persecution card. If the story is accurate, I believe the ref was in the wrong. It seems highly unlikely though that he was banned only for "praising God".

Old 11-04-2015, 05:40 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
It's over. He won on appeal to the athletic organization. Religion and God are safe in Arizona once again (still got the problem with the cakes though).

Old 11-04-2015, 05:45 PM

20,090 posts, read 20,897,502 times
Awesome.
Liberals.
Allah be praised. Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies