Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 06:30 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,247,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Income inequality is a problem, but its not something that is terribly concerning to me. The third world and poor people keep adding to their numbers, non-stop, every day, exponentially.

The #1 weapon in the fight against income inequality is birth control and condoms.
Income inequality; a made up problem in search of a non-existent solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 06:41 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,356,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And I am amazed at how struggling middle class Democrats go to bat for the billionaires (Soros, etc) of the world.

BTW, why do you care how much money other people have? Jealous?
Nope, I adore billionaires and have said at nauseam we need many more billionaires in the USA----the more the better, I would love to see 10,000 more Bill Gates. I am also a fan of Milton Friedman.

The issue is that the struggling folks like you have to struggle ALL the time and that could easily be fixed if we were more civilized.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:13 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Time for Bernie Sanders...

'The middle classes have been squeezed at the expense of the very rich, according to research by Credit Suisse, which also finds that for the first time, there are more individuals in the middle classes in China – 109m – than the 92m in the US.
Sorry, Bernie, but we don't have an inequality problem. George Soros and Bill Gates gaining more wealth does not impact me at all. I don't care how much money Soros has because the pie is not fixed. It gets bigger every year. What other people have is none of my business. My focus is on how much money I have. I'm not jealous of rich people.

Here are the facts;

Economist Gary Burtless of the Brookings Institute showed that between 1979 and 2010, the real (inflation-adjusted) after-tax income of the top 1% of U.S. income-earners grew by an impressive 202%. He also showed that the real after-tax income of the bottom fifth of income-earners grew by 49%. All groups made real income gains. While the rich are making gains at a faster pace, both the rich and the poor are in fact becoming richer.

Blog | HumanProgress.org

Old 10-16-2015, 07:14 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Nope, I adore billionaires and have said at nauseam we need many more billionaires in the USA----the more the better, I would love to see 10,000 more Bill Gates. I am also a fan of Milton Friedman.

The issue is that the struggling folks like you have to struggle ALL the time and that could easily be fixed if we were more civilized.
I'm not struggling. Neither are my friends and family.

Next?

Old 10-17-2015, 08:25 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,817,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Bernie understands the problem to a point. Probably better than the majority but to tackle the problem one has to admit to the problem in whole and Bernie can't seem to bring himself to do that.
He's not perfect. I would have taken Mike Gravel or Ron Paul over him, but compared to the others running, he's about the best. Why can't the most powerful country on the planet field a decent president?

Old 10-17-2015, 08:33 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,966,995 times
During the Soviet Union's existence, we used to point the finger at them for the inequality in their country, where you had the state corporations and business in bed with government and everyone else served them, at a time when we had a vibrant middle class and even the unskilled could afford a house, car and and 3 kids.

How things have come full circle for this country where we are now the Soviet Union with Big Business in bed with Big Government catering to themselves with "Protected and Rigged Trade Agreements" and having everyone else pay for it.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:36 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,841,780 times
Quote:
Time for Bernie Sanders...

'The middle classes have been squeezed at the expense of the very rich, according to research by Credit Suisse, which also finds that for the first time, there are more individuals in the middle classes in China – 109m – than the 92m in the US.

Half of World
Yeah then everyone will be broke on their assets.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:39 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,966,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Society will better itself through free markets. We don't need to seize the wealth of others to 'better society'. Wealth seizure is mostly non-productive.
We already have that going on where Big Business employs communist labor and then sells the products right back to us. Eventually you run out of other peoples money which is the consumer.

American's account for 25% of products bought globally.
Imagine what happens when they are able to purchase less?

The TPP is full of protections for Corporate America in bed with Big Government.
I think we need tariffs to protect the Pro American Workers and see how they like that?

Old 10-17-2015, 08:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
He's not perfect. I would have taken Mike Gravel or Ron Paul over him, but compared to the others running, he's about the best. Why can't the most powerful country on the planet field a decent president?
I can't answer that. Overall I agree with you but it is crazy that even the best running have major flaws.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:14 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,774,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

My beef with the struggling middle class republicans that defend the top brackets. One would think these folks should be voting democrat since they benefit a lot from social programs.
hmm, think about it. The struggling middle class has learned that if they want to do better they increase their income. What happens when they increase their income? The government takes more. Democrats want to take even more of their money (raise taxes), republicans want to let them keep more of their money (tax cuts).

It's not hard to figure out. Letting them keep more of their wins

People who want a free ride / more free stuff will vote Democrat.

It's really not that hard to figure out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies