Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 03:34 PM

22,266 posts, read 19,592,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
What would it matter if it was 50,000 dollars or 50 million dollars?

I mean why does somebody get to decide that you have made more money than they think you should make and so they come and take half of what your parents had worked hard for all their lives, suddenly it belongs to the government?

And because you institute a tax that is extremely unfair to the higher bracket, you have now set a precedent that will in no way stop there. How long before the government decides that 100, 000 dollars is to much for an American to make so they take yours also? The government is so strapped for money, that they are going to find more ways to take your money, and if you don't stand up against an unfair taxation of an American, then how long will it really be before they go after more people?

Nobody should decide that because a high end earner has more, that suddenly half he owns is taken from his family.

Where will it stop, if we allow them to make special rules to take people's money, how long will it be before they make a decision on all of us?
1. The Estate tax use to be higher and more use to be impacted by it, as the amount when indexed for inflation was lower than it is now. The fact that far fewer are impacted by it now than use to be goes against your very argument.

2. It isn't 50%, it is 40%, and that is only the portion in excess of the $5.43 million
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 04:03 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,979,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
1. The Estate tax use to be higher and more use to be impacted by it, as the amount when indexed for inflation was lower than it is now. The fact that far fewer are impacted by it now than use to be goes against your very argument.

2. It isn't 50%, it is 40%, and that is only the portion in excess of the $5.43 million
99.8% of estates are exempt from federal estate taxes.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah, so about 4 or 5 years ago, I go to my cousin Joey's place right next to the tattoo shop and there are always cool people around, and being so freakishly white, I need to tan at Joey's place so's I get there and Joey is like,'' Dude, I am going to have to charge you double,'' and so I said,'' Yo Joey, what's up with that dude? I am your own kin.''

Turned out that Obama had done gone and went and taxed my cousin Joey almost out of Businesses and he goes into telling me how the industry has lost thousands of jobs because of the tanning tax and the ridiculous laws they put on those evil tanners, and so Bo comes walking into the shop, and Bo goes into telling me that even the Tattoo industry is in trouble and the government wants to tax your tattoos. I gotta tell ya, I didn't know what to think after talking with Bo and Joey, this was my last place to feel at home away from home and the tanning place was about to go under cause of Obama care taxes against it.

Now I am not a greedy man, I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes but BY GOD, do they have to freaking tax EVERYTHING?

Wouldn't ya just know it, My cousin Joey comes by a couple weeks later because he couldn't afford all the taxes after the government went after they money right outta Joey's pocket so I felt sorry for him and found him a Gig out at Thompson bottom where we charge people to take them out in the woods and tell them stories of Cat woman while sitting in a boat being pulled by a trailer down the rode like they on a fishing adventure. We pull up with some Led Zepplin playing the rain song fixing to go into some pink Floyd and while the boaters are having a tom Collins on board Joey is getting ready to do his thang. Now see, Joey is hiding under a bridge when we pull up and we go into the factual account of the cat woman attack down at Thompson Bottum near Booth and Joey goes into making cat calls and such when everyone spills they drink.

But dang the bad luck, Joey had a cool tanning business until Obama care taxes and he had to let Verne and Eldaweena go, and that's all Elda ever knew was the tanning business. I tried to get her a gig with the cat woman bit also but she wouldn't fit in the suite.
I am enjoying this ride.

Tanning beds are so 8o's. There has been a trend away from tanning beds to spray on temporary tans and DIY products over the past 15-20 years. Where has Joey been?

If Joey was charging you a double bubble, it was not due to a tan tax.

Those addicted to the tanning beds don't bat an eye at the 10% tax. Joey is a tax conduit between the customer and the government, no different than sales tax on those lotions and potions that make tans glow in the dark. Joes does not go out of pocket to pay the tan tax. Sounds like, Joey spent the 10% tax his customers paid him and came up short on his quarterly filing.

Like all small business owners, Joey can either learn from his mistakes or blame government.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The Obamacare charge to estates is for any use of Medicaid, including nursing home care. It has nothing to do with the old death tax.You undoubtably know that but you prefer lying.
Think someone may be confusing federal estate taxes that have been imposed for nearly 100 years and presently impacts 0.02 % of estates and the 3.8 Medicare Investment Income Tax with a twist of Medicaid added for drama.

As I understand it, the 3.8% tax was attached to the ACA at the last minute as a part of some unrelated reconciliation bill. Hate that this is the way Congress works.

The lobbies of the National Association of Realtors and state associations were quick to spin this new tax
as being appliable to all real estate transfers. They missed the boat. It's a Medicare tax applied on certain capital gains of so- called high income earners or those who sold off a large block of an investment. It is not limited to real estate.

As for the Medicaid thing, it's a state issue. One does not have to sell their home to qualify for nursing home care paid for by Medicaid. Some states will however, file a lien on the property so that the state has first dibs on net proceeds, up to the amount nursing home care paid by the state, when the property is sold. This has nothing to do with Obama or Obamacare. Refer to the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 for further information.

Some states exempt the primary home. Some states exempt $552- 828,000 in value. Some states have Filial Responsibility Laws and may hold the family responsible for the cost of care.

Those with serious assets, seek counsel from professional estate and/ or elder care practices to minimize or avoid taxes.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Wow, I can't believe you almost got me in trouble with my cousin Joey. I read what you wrote and called him up fixing to give him a piece of my mind and then he says like,'' Wait dude, You already sound like one of those liberal democrats, was up with you?''

Then he told me to look up the statistics and imagine my embarrassment at having doubted Joey over you.

In 2009, a 10% Tan Tax was passed as part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The

consequences of this excise tax have been the closure of 9,658 businesses and the

elimination of 81,000 jobs, while the tax failed to generate even one-third of the projected

revenues while costing an additional $11 million per year to administrate.
The ACA was signed into law in March, 2010. The 10% tan tax became effective in July, 2010.

Tanning salons have been closing en mass for the past 15 years because consumers prefer spray on tans or DIY products. Even Joey has to know that tanning beds and tats are not a good combination.

Those salons that have managed to survive and thrive adapted new technology for spray on tans.

Most of who remained stuck in the 80's tended to eventually fold. Common stuff for former small business owners to blame government for failure instead of taking a more objective look at the overall situation.

The die hard bed tanners of the Jersey Shore variety don't blink at a $1 tax on a tanning session.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 10-17-2015 at 06:14 PM..

Old 10-17-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
What would it matter if it was 50,000 dollars or 50 million dollars?

I mean why does somebody get to decide that you have made more money than they think you should make and so they come and take half of what your parents had worked hard for all their lives, suddenly it belongs to the government?

And because you institute a tax that is extremely unfair to the higher bracket, you have now set a precedent that will in no way stop there. How long before the government decides that 100, 000 dollars is to much for an American to make so they take yours also? The government is so strapped for money, that they are going to find more ways to take your money, and if you don't stand up against an unfair taxation of an American, then how long will it really be before they go after more people?

Nobody should decide that because a high end earner has more, that suddenly half he owns is taken from his family.

Where will it stop, if we allow them to make special rules to take people's money, how long will it be before they make a decision on all of us?
In 2001, the federal estate tax was 55% on that value of an estate in excess of $675,000.

Today it's 40% on the value of an estate in excess of $5.43 million.

As you said, " where will it stop?"

Old 10-18-2015, 10:06 AM

89,677 posts, read 45,353,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Let's be like Scandinavian and European countries... Not only do they tax REGRESSIVELY, with the largest tax burden placed on the middle class and poor, they allow their rich to legally hide income and capital gains in foreign accounts so that it's all tax-free (no FATCA laws), AND they're eliminating estate and inheritance taxes:

Estate and Inheritance Taxes around the World

Time for those who benefit the most to start paying the most, à la Scandinavia and Europe.

Be sure to read the entire research-citing articles including the graphs:

Other countries don’t have a “47%” - The Washington Post

How Sweden fights inequality - with regressive, not progressive taxes

Old 10-18-2015, 12:04 PM

23,388 posts, read 10,667,830 times
Bout 5 years ago as I had noticed a new neighbor moving into old Mr. Teeterbaum's house across from the cotton gin where the big meeting Oak tree was back when the fair used to set up in the fall. The house had remained vacant ever since Mrs. Teeterbaum's fell off the roof trying to install solar panels and they had to put poor Mrs. Teetterbaum in an old folks home, we still go down there to see her every other sunday and sing songs, she really likes ''On the wings of a dove.'' Anyhow, here was these people unloading and moving in the house and they had California Liscence plates. I mean, what can I say, I raised my eyebrow and wondered what kind of people they would be seeing is they are from California. But like a good neighbor, me and my wife made up some lemonade and baked a cake to go visiting.

Now at first sight, I mean from a little bit away as we were walking passed the Gin, I caught a glimpse of this new couple and I don't mind saying that I must have seen an angel, a beautiful blond headed, hour glass body and my wife looked at me just then when my eyes were glassing over and she pinched me so hard that I almost ****e myself. She knew what I was thinking and then we just grinned and kept going but as we got closer and closer, I swear I DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK. What I had perceived as an angel was a 50ish woman who had her lips done, her face done and damned if she didn't have a Michael Jackson nose and at that point, I wasn't even for sure if she was a woman but I didn't let on.

Turns out, they became some of the best loved neighbors in our block and they had two special needs kids and one of them was the very air I breath, I learned to love that boy because he would say anything on his mind added with the worst curse words and half the time, I didn't even know what he meant. He had turrets of something and you could always leave it to him to say what everyone else was thinking and on top of that, he would add some sort of curse on the person like,'' I can smell your feet from here you #@$@# fish head #$%@ freak.

After a couple of years, me and the boys got to know the Haddy family pretty well, but we never said nothing to this Californian when he began trying to finish the job Mr. Teeterbaum started. We like to drink beer and sit at the Gin watching Mr. Haddy putting up those solar panels while we just laughed and laughed because what Mr. Haddy don't know yet, is that you can't legally go off the grid cause Obama owns the sun and the water, and it became a very big unspoken joke amongst us while the weeks went by with Mr. Haddy steadily working on those solar panels.

You see, it's not that we didn't want to tell Mr. Haddy, but in rural areas of Texas, especially cotton country, you don't go to a man's house and give him advise on anything he is doing to his house, it's just not something that is done, but I did feel a little guilty after I found out how much his expenses were after Obamacare taxes.

He has two special needs kids that need to go to a special school and a bus has to come and collect them to take them to that school everyday. Turns out, that a cap was put on how much money the government would spend on helping children with special needs and it was like 2000 bucks, 3 thousand? But Mr. Haddy needed about 14,000 bucks for each kid and this kindly made me and the boys kick the dust thinking how we watched Mr. Haddy put in solar panels for nothing.

I mean, even if you are going to tax everybody out of a job, why, O WHY, do you think you need to steal the education of a special needs child?

WHY?

Old 10-18-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Bout 5 years ago as I had noticed a new neighbor moving into old Mr. Teeterbaum's house across from the cotton gin where the big meeting Oak tree was back when the fair used to set up in the fall. The house had remained vacant ever since Mrs. Teeterbaum's fell off the roof trying to install solar panels and they had to put poor Mrs. Teetterbaum in an old folks home, we still go down there to see her every other sunday and sing songs, she really likes ''On the wings of a dove.'' Anyhow, here was these people unloading and moving in the house and they had California Liscence plates. I mean, what can I say, I raised my eyebrow and wondered what kind of people they would be seeing is they are from California. But like a good neighbor, me and my wife made up some lemonade and baked a cake to go visiting.

Now at first sight, I mean from a little bit away as we were walking passed the Gin, I caught a glimpse of this new couple and I don't mind saying that I must have seen an angel, a beautiful blond headed, hour glass body and my wife looked at me just then when my eyes were glassing over and she pinched me so hard that I almost ****e myself. She knew what I was thinking and then we just grinned and kept going but as we got closer and closer, I swear I DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK. What I had perceived as an angel was a 50ish woman who had her lips done, her face done and damned if she didn't have a Michael Jackson nose and at that point, I wasn't even for sure if she was a woman but I didn't let on.

Turns out, they became some of the best loved neighbors in our block and they had two special needs kids and one of them was the very air I breath, I learned to love that boy because he would say anything on his mind added with the worst curse words and half the time, I didn't even know what he meant. He had turrets of something and you could always leave it to him to say what everyone else was thinking and on top of that, he would add some sort of curse on the person like,'' I can smell your feet from here you #@$@# fish head #$%@ freak.

After a couple of years, me and the boys got to know the Haddy family pretty well, but we never said nothing to this Californian when he began trying to finish the job Mr. Teeterbaum started. We like to drink beer and sit at the Gin watching Mr. Haddy putting up those solar panels while we just laughed and laughed because what Mr. Haddy don't know yet, is that you can't legally go off the grid cause Obama owns the sun and the water, and it became a very big unspoken joke amongst us while the weeks went by with Mr. Haddy steadily working on those solar panels.

You see, it's not that we didn't want to tell Mr. Haddy, but in rural areas of Texas, especially cotton country, you don't go to a man's house and give him advise on anything he is doing to his house, it's just not something that is done, but I did feel a little guilty after I found out how much his expenses were after Obamacare taxes.

He has two special needs kids that need to go to a special school and a bus has to come and collect them to take them to that school everyday. Turns out, that a cap was put on how much money the government would spend on helping children with special needs and it was like 2000 bucks, 3 thousand? But Mr. Haddy needed about 14,000 bucks for each kid and this kindly made me and the boys kick the dust thinking how we watched Mr. Haddy put in solar panels for nothing.

I mean, even if you are going to tax everybody out of a job, why, O WHY, do you think you need to steal the education of a special needs child?

WHY?

Local school districts have the primary responsibility of funding Special Education. Parents of special needs children often take this into serious consideration when deciding where to live. Of course, those districts with the best opportunities tend to have substantially higher property taxes than those with lesser programs. Perhaps this is a factor in your area.

Congress controls the purse strings. No secret, some in Congress seek to get the federal government out of regulating and funding education and leave it entirely up to the states to take care of their own.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:24 PM

22,266 posts, read 19,592,173 times
Quote:
Smash, maybe you don't work, maybe you got free health, I don't know, I only know when they start taking my money and money from my family, it was not funny in any way. My son and my daughter freaked out at how much they started taking from their checks, and my son has to pay an arm and a leg for not having health insurance and then getting unaffordable health insurance. Maybe you are in a cave some place without a job, maybe you make so much money that you didn't notice?

I'm middle class, and I don't have free healthcare. I had a vey good plan in the pat (when I worked for a large bank), but was laid off during the crash. Started working for a smaller company with the insurance not as strong and at the time the cost in the individual market was through the roof. Signed up for the exchanges through NY State and it is at a fraction of what the previous cost would have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies