Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 09:37 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,721,689 times

Advertisements

Glad to see the left casting out the loonies on the fringe left. SMH @ "people of size" instead of obese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA1bsM2rZVU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 09:42 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,835,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Glad to see the left casting out the loonies on the fringe left. SMH @ "people of size" instead of obese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA1bsM2rZVU
The political correct alternative:

- Incorrect - - - Correct -
College = Politically Correct Boot Camp
University = Politically Correct Boot Camp with a climbing wall
Freedom of Speech = 10' x 10' area behind that building over there

Old 08-08-2015, 09:45 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,582,570 times
Trigger warnings. Can you believe this nonsense.

What a bunch of dysfunctional selfish A-holes these people are.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:22 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,119,216 times
I've never seen this point argued so eloquently. The usual arguments are just name calling, whereas this actually dives deep into the problem on an intellectual scale rather than an arrogant one.

And she's right of course. The nature of youth is ignorance, and rather than trying to force feed a very specific ideology, they (the students) should be encouraged to find their own intellectual path. Not taught to defend minorities, or fear God, or respect the government; just taught to think and to do so critically. This is where universities are failing.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:39 AM

876 posts, read 1,008,416 times
I don't think Bill Maher saying bad things about sjw's really counts as the "left throwing out it's nuts". Bill Maher has always been against the liberal defense of muslims for example, so it's not like these are new opinions that he has. In addition, while Bill Maher may dislike some of the most radical elements of the left that doesn't actually mean that he isn't your typical "I am wise and smart and you are backwards and stupid" liberal that we have seen a million times. This guy isn't smarter than your typical sjw, he is just less dumb.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:46 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,835,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I've never seen this point argued so eloquently. The usual arguments are just name calling, whereas this actually dives deep into the problem on an intellectual scale rather than an arrogant one.

And she's right of course. The nature of youth is ignorance, and rather than trying to force feed a very specific ideology, they (the students) should be encouraged to find their own intellectual path. Not taught to defend minorities, or fear God, or respect the government; just taught to think and to do so critically. This is where universities are failing.
I agree with everything you said, except the "fear God" part. "Fearing God" isn't a part of the curriculum in the world of university professors. God doesn't exist for more than 30% of college professors, who are either Atheists or Agnostic and the more elite the University the higher the odds the professoriat are likely to be atheist/agnostic.

On the other hand, if a student enrolls at a faith-based college (Wheaton, Westmont, George Fox...etc.) , they likely want to be taught from a Christian perspective. This type of Tier 1 education is only available from private colleges, not public/state universities.

As highlighted; they should be able to "find their own intellectual path" free from a professors personal social/religious ideology. Especially since they're the ones going into debt to pay those professors salaries.

Last edited by steven_h; 08-08-2015 at 12:01 PM..

Old 08-08-2015, 12:09 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,927,749 times
Bill Maher and all should support Donald Trump because hes not politically correct.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:00 PM

876 posts, read 1,008,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Bill Maher and all should support Donald Trump because hes not politically correct.
That alone doesn't sound like a good reason to support someone.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:36 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,119,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I agree with everything you said, except the "fear God" part. "Fearing God" isn't a part of the curriculum in the world of university professors. God doesn't exist for more than 30% of college professors, who are either Atheists or Agnostic and the more elite the University the higher the odds the professoriat are likely to be atheist/agnostic.

On the other hand, if a student enrolls at a faith-based college (Wheaton, Westmont, George Fox...etc.) , they likely want to be taught from a Christian perspective. This type of Tier 1 education is only available from private colleges, not public/state universities.

As highlighted; they should be able to "find their own intellectual path" free from a professors personal social/religious ideology. Especially since they're the ones going into debt to pay those professors salaries.
I wasn't trying to insinuate that a God fearing is instilled into state colleges. I know that it's not. I just went with two things that are on opposite ends of the political spectrum. I don't really care if people choose to fear or believe in God, but I feel they should come to that conclusion based on their own opinions and experience, not the thoughts of someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Maher isn't political correct and conservatives are quick to hate on PC. But Maher is also a liberal; do you think conservative have to agree with Maher now?

But that is the logic that is keeping Donald Trump in the top. When you ask people why they like him it's because 'he speaks him mind,' which, while I'm skeptical if what he says are actually his thoughts, isn't really an answer. He's blunt, but is he necessarily right? Or even making an actual point? When it comes down to the issues, most just base their views on Trump loosely based on things he's implied.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:45 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,448,547 times
I hate it when people tell me what to think. Last time I watched that show, I canceled HBO !

The Comcast dude on the phone was giving me grief.
- you can't cancel HBO, it;s a part of promotional package and is free.
I am like:
- ok, I cancel cable !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies