Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 12:12 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,486,761 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that those who are proud of the Obamas are unwilling to agree either one has ever done anything unpleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 12:15 PM

6,804 posts, read 4,511,392 times
I am female. I am black.

I'm fine with the speech. It was given at Tuskegee University. It wasn't an "address the nation" moment. If it were, my opinion would change, but Obama was speaking to people who have shared her past experiences. I don't believe she was stirring the racial pot.

Maybe the OP doesn't know what happened in Tuskegee many years ago. Most white people don't know. Here's a link https://abagond.wordpress.com/2010/0...ee-experiment/
Google "Tuskegee Experiment" for more. It's another horror that occurred to poor, black men in Tuskegee...at the hands of eager whites.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:18 PM

16,777 posts, read 8,764,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
First tell me exactly why you think my race and gender are important...
If I'm a black male - what would you say?
If I'm a black female - what would you say?
White female?
White male?

And what are you?
What am I?

I already said what I am in the opening post, or didn't you read it?

As to why I ask, it is more curiosity than anything else. However something that is starting to coalesce in my mind, is that my black friends and the ones I associate with, might not be representative of a majority of blacks.
Or at least that is the way the media might be framing it to the point of my seriously wondering if it is true.

I say this based on things like the OJ trial and how it seemed that so many blacks saw the trial and verdict differently than the rest of the country (i.e. all other races). That was really the first time I ever noticed what a huge difference in perception there was between most races and blacks.
The most recent example was the Zimmerman vs. Martin incident where many blacks interviewed seemed to be willing to totally ignore any facts in the case that mitigated the liberal news media version of what happened.

`

Old 05-16-2015, 12:19 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,665,784 times
Quote:
Why should the First Lady paint a rosy picture when that has not been her experience? She is in a great position to "tell it like it is".
So far as we know, She has lived a life of privelidge, went to the best schools, never toiled in a factory, or in some minimum wage job. Pretty much handed to her everything she could hope for without really putting any kind of real commitment. Remember that cushy $300,000 a year job that was basically handed to her because her hubby was a senator?

Old 05-16-2015, 12:29 PM

51,314 posts, read 36,980,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
So far as we know, She has lived a life of privelidge, went to the best schools, never toiled in a factory, or in some minimum wage job. Pretty much handed to her everything she could hope for without really putting any kind of real commitment. Remember that cushy $300,000 a year job that was basically handed to her because her hubby was a senator?
Where is this coming from? Did she do well in school or not? If she did, she committed to that, and worked hard for it. Also being wealthy has nothing to do with experiencing discrimination....do you remember Oprah trying to buy a purse and they wouldn't buzz the door open for her cause they didn't know who she was, except she was black?

Is there actually a point to this thread? What is it the thread is hoping to accomplish? It seems like a "hey, let's bash the Obamas again, and we'll mention a recent speech so we can sneak it into Current Events!

Old 05-16-2015, 12:31 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,882,068 times
Dude. I watched the vid on the link you posted, which, on its facebook page (DailyKenn) says upfront it's a right-wing extremist site. And the comments they added after her speech were definitely racist.

But her speech was not. She was just telling it like it is, trying to inspire the students at a historically black college to rise above the flack they get dealt out in the world. You were floored prob'ly because you never knew before what life can be like for Black college grads. Take it as a learning experience. Use it as motivation judge people on the content of their character, not the color of their skin, when you go out into the world. Have any of your friends, colleagues, or relatives hired a Black college grad for a career-track position, or to manage their company's computer systems, or for research or teaching?

Old 05-16-2015, 12:31 PM

29,785 posts, read 34,590,200 times
Quote:
So you believe that wealthy, educated black people have never encountered discrimination or outright racism?

And so what if she has benefitted in some ways from her connections? It's politics. Nobody blinks an eye when it's a Bush or a Kennedy or a Romney who profits.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:33 PM

86 posts, read 82,993 times
Quote:
Source, please. As far as I can tell from her background and early life, there is nothing that indicated she had everything "handed to her." Sure, she never "toiled in a factory" - I don't know if she's ever held a minimum wage job - but my knowledge is that she came from a fairly humble background.

But even if she had this lavish life of privilege, you're proving part of her point. Despite the fact that she attended the best schools, and is incredibly intelligent and wealthy, some people see only her skin color. See choice comments from OP's youtube link, particularly, the top comment.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:33 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,397,673 times
Great speech by Michelle Obama. She was telling the truth.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:35 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,922,005 times
White woman here Yes there is discrimination but being asked to get something is not racist. I've been asked to reach for things too and people have often thought I worked at masny places notably Best Buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies