Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 12:51 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,490,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Oregon is an open carry state.
Both men are legally carrying their AR-15s in public.
Can you guess what happens next?

Cops still need to check -- it could be someone who has no right to carry a gun (e.g., convicted felon.)

Life sure is complicated.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:59 AM

13,605 posts, read 7,654,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Black cops while on duty in plain clothes have been detained. WTF??

Video shows four parole officers detained by gun-wielding police for Driving While Black
If you look at the CNN report now they are suing someone made a 911 call people wearing body armor and guns police responded and once identified they were released quickly. The black parole officers are claiming they were slammed against the car but doesn't show that in any of the videos.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:51 AM

76,959 posts, read 48,075,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Cops still need to check -- it could be someone who has no right to carry a gun (e.g., convicted felon.)

Life sure is complicated.
The video also does not show what happened to the white guy after the first few words.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:54 AM

231 posts, read 172,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Any police officer that lumps individual black men as part of a criminal class based on their skin color is being explicitly racist and putting the lives and bodies of those black men in danger.

Anyone who advocates that it's right for the police to view individual black men as apart of a criminal class based on skin color is advocating for explicitly racist behavior towards black men by the government/the state and is putting the lives and bodies of black men at great risk.

Anything else, any other justification is irrelevant to this point.
That's clearly not what I was asking.

So...

If it's racist for the police to take more interest in blacks rather than whites,
is it sexist for the police to take more interest in men than women....

for that matter, is it ageist for the police to take more interest in 20 year olds than 70 year olds.

This seems like a rational question to me.

Hopefully, the people who are dead set against stereotyping don't design airport security systems.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The video also does not show what happened to the white guy after the first few words.
I admit that it's not a very pure experiment. Different areas, different people, etc.

In addition, the scenario (obviously) has a desired result in mind.

It's funny how people will treat sociology as a settled science when it meets some sort of internal bias.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:47 AM

73,430 posts, read 63,391,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Truth is, the Second Amendment doesn't apply to black folks. Packing a gun can get you killed if you get spotted by the cops and folks (especially conservatives) will justify it. Even black police officers in plain clothes have been hassled by their own white colleagues before.

This isn't the only video showing white guys getting accosted by the cops while being openly strapped and the white guy can always be an uncooperative smartass with little to no worries about getting capped.

That's just the way it is.
I don't accept "what is". It doesn't help me by any stretch. The question is this. What do we do to stop this from happening? What do we do to keep from having our rights disrespected as law abiding individuals?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:48 AM

73,430 posts, read 63,391,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Notaras View Post

So...

If it's racist for the police to take more interest in blacks rather than whites,

for that matter, is it ageist for the police to take more interest in 20 year olds than 70 year olds.

Hopefully, the people who are dead set against stereotyping don't design airport security systems.
Like I said before. I put my individuals rights first. My rights come first.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:33 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,333,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Notaras View Post

So...

Yeah it is what you asking. Yes, it is racist and against the law for the police to racially profile Americans based on the color of their skin, which is what you are advocating.

Your questions aren't rational. If you aren't engaging in criminal activity and the police harass you because you are a man then that is illegal. The same goes for age.

But because you see black men as a criminal class, you want the police to treat them as such, you are trying to in your mind rationalize why your racist viewpoint is really a rationale reaction to the criminal class known as black men.

Again, for the slow, this is an explicitly racist viewpoint.

It is the very definition of the word.

Believing that individual black American men who are behaving in the same lawful manner as white dudes, should receive a violent and threatening response from the police, while the white dudes get polite conversation all on the basis that black men represent a criminal class so they collectively and individually deserve that treatment is racist.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:51 AM

41,457 posts, read 60,119,643 times
The problem is our White population is seriously frightened by anyone of a different color or appearance. Whites tell the cops to act as an occupying army designed to suppress the different to "protect" the frightened whites. Thus our police departments have transformed from policing the civilian society to occupying the "different" areas as an army. For most of the "different" the police are not only not there to protect them (they refuse this task even to whites) but to keep them suppressed.

A white man or woman can carry a weapon without problem as the cops assume these are "OK" but a "different" person cannot as they are defined by their differentness as criminals.

FWIW - On a personal level I consider carrying a rifle outside of a case to be a provocation no matter what the person's sex or color. Open carry of any weapon in most of our society is a very effective way to frighten people. Frightened people do stupid things like call the cops when a"different" person is just carrying the rifle to a gun store or whatever.

I am amused and disgusted by a society that assumes the police are there to protect them from any danger but does not require or pay for policing that would accept the responsibility or provide the service. We are responsible for defending ourselves from violent crime even if we are "different" but the police forces make that as difficult as possible.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post

Your questions aren't rational. If you aren't engaging in criminal activity and the police harass you because you are a man then that is illegal. The same goes for age.
So you are saying that the police should step up their guard as much around women as around men? They should call in backup if they are dealing with a grouchy group of 80 year olds?

I think I like your planet, it makes me laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies