Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is most likely in the Amtrak Crash? (multiple choice poll)
(Engineer) "does" remember what happened but is saying he doesn't likely to escape trouble... 51 52.04%
(Engineer) is working with ISIS and did this deliberately 4 4.08%
(Engineer) is mentally ill and did this and has no recollection 5 5.10%
This was purely an accident at 106 miles an hour... 11 11.22%
This was an ill-trained Engineer and he did not understand a curve was coming up 9 9.18%
The train malfunctioned and the Engineer could not pull out of the failure 9 9.18%
Amtrak is safe and crashes are rare..Ride the Rails.. 39 39.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 06:35 AM

5,184 posts, read 4,979,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Train "malfunction" on the sudden acceleration or he did it deliberately...
Seizure or other medical issue?? That would account for the lack of recollection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 06:37 AM

45,579 posts, read 60,962,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He took a voluntary blood test, I assume they could have forced. He made no statement, he should be fired and more than likely will be fired. 8 people killed and he doesn't know what happened.
It's not really voluntary. Blood tests for alcohol or drugs are standard whenever a major derailment or other train movement accident happens. It used to be everyone involved in the train movement from the crew to the dispatcher controlling the movement was tested.

Tests would also be performed post-mortem if necessary.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:38 AM

68,369 posts, read 54,596,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I would have liked another poll option:

•106 mph crash in a 50 mph zone...Amtrak must be underfunded!

President Obama calls for greater federal spending on infrastructure after Amtrak crash in Philadelphia | FOX6Now.com
Me too, the most likely cause will be determined by investigation, not hysterical speculation.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:42 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,278,012 times
Quote:
The Amtrak Engineer Brandon Bostian which is more likely what happened since he says he can't remember the crash.
Emergency brakes applied 5 seconds prior to derailment. I think he fell asleep.

As an engineer myself, looking out the windows and seeing the rails approach and disappear under the engine can be mesmerizing, kind of like road hypnosis. Why I keep my head on a swivel. Look for all the signals ahead. Keep abreast of all radio transmissions. And most of all, have a conversation with the conductor in the cab. Amtrak has no conductor in the cab. They have a kill switch in the cab that has to be pressed every 30 seconds or the brakes engage and brings the train to a stop. Positive Train Control is trumpeted by Congress but it is not the cure-all. To me that will make the engineer even lazier believing the technology will keep him out of trouble. PTC will not stop derailments due to worn out tracks collapsing or switches improperly set.

Rigidly enforcing time off for rest is the only solution. I work a lot but always ensure that I am rested. Never had a problem.

Last edited by T-310; 05-15-2015 at 07:03 AM..

Old 05-15-2015, 06:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,890,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are making this too complicated....He was probably distracted...(texting on his cell phone or making out with his assistant)

It's happened before.... A B.C. Supreme Court judge blamed a tangled, steamy relationship between two crew members for the Queen of the North’s deadly collision with a remote, rocky island, as she sentenced navigator Karl Lilgert to four years for his role in the ship’s sinking. Navigator jailed for four years in deadly B.C. ferry crash - The Globe and Mail
They have his phone.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:43 AM

7,826 posts, read 6,417,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
And charge the GOP-controlled congress with criminal negligence for defunding Amtrak despite record breaking ridership levels. Modern safety features like positive train control prevents disasters caused by human error.
To not have it on a very busy train corridor is mind-numbingly stupid if not criminally negligent.

How Congress Failed to Stop the Fatal Amtrak Crash - CityLab
The system was installed but not turned on due to problems with the FCC, but keep lying by all means.

Speed Control Was Installed, Not On at Time of Amtrak Crash - US News

Old 05-15-2015, 06:45 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,200,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Aren't they supposed to have automatic brakes?
Apparently there is something on the track that needed to be installed that was sitting in a warehouse waiting to be installed.

With GPS and the ability to have all the required data onboard I'm not so sure I understand the need for such a system on the tracks to brake the train if it's approaching a bad corner.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,200,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
The system was installed but not turned on due to problems with the FCC, but keep lying by all means.

Speed Control Was Installed, Not On at Time of Amtrak Crash - US News
So it was installed....

Old 05-15-2015, 07:01 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,753,919 times
You left off another possibility.

Someone threw a rock at the train, it busted the windshield (windshield was broken), rock hit engineer who fell on on throttle, train sped up in last few moments and derailed. (train did speed up like that) Another rock had hit a Septa train earlier as the locals in this section of track have been known to throw rocks at trains all the time.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:01 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,705,066 times
Quote:
The Amtrak Engineer Brandon Bostian which is more likely what happened since he says he can't remember the crash.
What baffles me is how no one knew how fast he was going. We have GPS systems, I'm sure the train had a nice GPS map display showing all the tracks, switching locations, bridges, turns, etc... GPS will tell you where you are on the earth, how fast you are going and which direction. We also have radio /cellular communications back to Amtrak headquarters where their dispatchers are monitoring all the trains. So not only should the train engineer know how fast he is going and where heis train is, so should his supervisor back at HQ.

Lacking the technology of a GPS system, they should still have the old analog systems that monitor the RPM of the engine and the revolutions per second of the train engine's wheels, to indicate train speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies