Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:57 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,721,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Yes...lets compare the Boston Tea Party incident to the mean old Government infringing on my freedom to assemble on the national mall and whine about the President. By golly you're right, I see dark days ahead of for all of us! Hang tight, I'm gonna run to the garage and get my pitchfork and a torch. Were marching!!!
Try reading the writings of our founders and get back to me on this. Jefferson, Madison, Mason, Franklin, and Paine had quite a bit to say about the erosion of liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 02:10 AM

309 posts, read 365,984 times
There's no doubt that "individual" freedom is gradually and methodically eroding in America and it has been for nearly a century. It has just seemed to really progress since the end of the 1970s and along with the technological advances that have come with the computer age.

It is far easier to manipulate, regulate, monitor and CONTROL.......when the innovations and implementations of this technology have been put to use.....under the "guise" of "protecting" us.

EX: The now.....massive-scale use of video cameras and various scanning technology.

REWIND.....to the 1970s and earlier......you would notice that this technology was not in play yet and people not only FELT a lot more free.....but actually WERE........in an "individual" sense.

Yes......MANY laws have been enacted throughout the last 25 years that have gradually sought to "control" the masses....OR, just instill FEAR and a lot of that happened once Reagan took office and in response to a MASSIVE EPIDEMIC of drug use throughout the country. Reagan was Gov. of California back in the 60s and truly despised the "hippie movement" and their culture......and he NEVER forgot it when he became President. By that time....the 70s had come to a close.....a full decade of rampant, epidemic drug use in America....to the point it had literally been glorified and accepted by a huge percentage of mainstream America.
But the damage was done and life went on.........the music changed, the clothes..... and the drug of choice. Suddenly, "everyone" was hooked, dying, dead or in rehab........OR off to jail!

Action HAD to be taken under Reagan's watch, and along with advances in computers and technology, along with surveillance and a HUGE budget increase for THOUSANDS MORE police at ALL levels....FED, STATE and LOCAL........along with massive amounts of cocaine seizures to help finance more local police agencies.............YES, the day came and so did the laws to FIGHT the "Drug War" til the END OF TIME.....at ALL COSTS!!!
Search and Seizure Laws......Property Forfeiture, Assest seizure, Privacy Laws, etc. etc.
Big Brother......was BORN!
IF only....EVERYONE.....could only be subjected to 24 / 7 / 365 surveillance and screening?
TOTAL CONTROL achieved!

Now.........throw in Global Terrorism threats/ACTS of MASS MURDER, etc. that became so painfully real on 9/11.........further laws/technology/survellance...........and the American people as a whole have watched their INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM.........erode.

It's only poised to continue to do so now, I fear.....with further advances in technology and more laws created and justified in ways that would have created a full-scale riot or revolution by the people at one time, in the not-so distant past.

Throw into the mix........the inexcusability of allowing 20 MILLION ILLEGAL immigrants to live here, work here and deplete our health/welfare system along with having babies with immediate US citizenship GUARANTEED.....a host of many other problems AND a faction within society that is doing its best to instill political correctness, acceptance of "their" alternative ideology along with FORCING public schools to do away with ANYTHING regarding Christmas.....and how we MUST say "Happy Holidays" while working in retail to customers or LOSE OUR JOBS if we OFFEND ANYONE by saying CHRISTMAS.................yeah, I AGREE completely!

ONLY way to change it so "individuals" can truly be free again.....free from control by government or Corporate America.....would be a mass-collective and INSTANTANEOUS "retirement" from the workforce.
Back to....."Turning ON, Tuning IN and Dropping OUT!" MASS COLLECTIVE EFFORT by the majority!
EVERYTHING as we ALL know it WOULD stop overnight and chaos would result.
Don't SEE THIS happening. So endure, sit back, relax and just take it!
Be grateful this life isn't forever and feel sorry for the future generations that will inherit HELL!

There IS a fine line between being PERCEPTIVE of what's going on......and PARANOID of it!
Well, I'm not TRIPPIN........so I'm not paranoid!
I'm only SKYTRIPPIN

America IS on the WRONG track.......and continuing on it. Too far along to stop this runaway train now, IMO!

As far as a place to live where "individual" FREEDOM abounds..........

Move to the Island of Ibiza, off the Spanish coast in the Mediterranean Sea!
NON-STOP PARTY..........nothing else! 24/7 Work over there = PARTYiN and getting ripped outta 'ya skull........dancin' EVERY night away!

Last edited by Skytripper; 01-16-2008 at 02:44 AM..

Old 01-16-2008, 06:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,078,185 times
The President of the United States now has a power that used to be reserved only for tyrants, autocrats, dictators and kings. It is embodied in the Military Commissions Act of 2006, which I invite you all to google and read. The short version is that the President, unchallengeable and at his whim, can declare that any (or every) citizen can be arrested and detained forever without any due process at all. What will YOU do to stop him/her, if he/she or his/her successor abuses this power to become a tyrant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies