Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 10:32 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times

Advertisements

Anyone who lives in or around NJ and pays attention to public affairs has heard of the PARCC Test. It has been blasted on the radio almost 24/7 and every day there is a new news article about some Marshmallow or his mother raging out against it. PARCC is basically just a test to evaluate student performance. We took them every year in school, except back then it was called the CAT test. Anyway, these parents and kids are demanding that they should be able to "opt out" of testing because it would cause "anxiety". Seriously? Are they going to opt out of their jobs later if it causes them anxiety? I had more than one job interview where they gave me and on-the-spot test. How is that for pressure, marshmallows? No wonder the US is lagging behind every other developed country in basic academic skills. Don't worry, we can just spend more money on schools and make it all better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 11:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Actually they can just get Xanax from their doctors if their jobs are too stressful like every other stressed northeasterner.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually they can just get Xanax from their doctors if their jobs are too stressful like every other stressed northeasterner.
There is nothing wrong with a Xanax now and then.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
There is nothing wrong with a Xanax now and then.
Seems to be the drug of choice there, I prefer living some place less stressful. As for the school testing, I never interacted with it while I lived there, but I have never been a fan of the constant testing of school children because after a while all they are being taught is how to pass standardized testing rather than being educated.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:45 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Anyone who lives in or around NJ and pays attention to public affairs has heard of the PARCC Test. It has been blasted on the radio almost 24/7 and every day there is a new news article about some Marshmallow or his mother raging out against it. PARCC is basically just a test to evaluate student performance. We took them every year in school, except back then it was called the CAT test. Anyway, these parents and kids are demanding that they should be able to "opt out" of testing because it would cause "anxiety". Seriously? Are they going to opt out of their jobs later if it causes them anxiety? I had more than one job interview where they gave me and on-the-spot test. How is that for pressure, marshmallows? No wonder the US is lagging behind every other developed country in basic academic skills. Don't worry, we can just spend more money on schools and make it all better.
The difference is that you did one test, but kids now take between 10 an 20 tests a years vs. the one that you took. That many tests means much of the academic year is spent preparing for testing and not merely covering the curriculum.

Do students take too many tests? Congress to weigh question

Old 03-22-2015, 06:29 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
The PARCC test is different from the testing that many of us did when we were in school. In no way does it benefit students or teachers. The results don't even come in until the following year so it's not used to evaluate students and then help them in areas that they may be struggling. The test benefits the corporations that put out the test and then subsequently sell the schools new curriculum when not enough kids do well on the test. Parents are opting out because they are fed up with using teachers and students as corporate pawns in this ridiculous game that has more to do with lining the pockets of corporations and has nothing at all to do with education.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:34 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post

What if they are uninsured?

Old 03-22-2015, 09:47 AM

13,419 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Did you do any research at all apart from listening to the ads? There is a lot more to it than what you surmise.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:49 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times
Testing allows teachers and parents the ability to see what the children have learned and what they need to improve upon. Students can also see this for themselves. It gives confirmation of their competency in the subjects tested.

The problem is that too many students now are incompetent and tests are a shameful reminder of this. So in the minds of the stupid, the test is the problem.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Did you do any research at all apart from listening to the ads? There is a lot more to it than what you surmise.
I listened to people drone on about it day after day until I had to switch my radio to my iPod. Did the company get a lot of state money? Yes. Was the company politically connected? Probably. But that's no different from any other government contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies