Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 02:50 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,188,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
....or they've just had their buddies heads blown off after having politicians throwing them under the bus because they are the ones that have to get their hands dirty cleaning up the politicians lies of investing more in poor areas in terms of schools, jobs, diversion programs etc.
Nobody threw them under the bus, you're repeating the ridiculous, over-the-top rhetoric of the NYPD union leaders.

At worst de Blasio's statements on the police have been lukewarm platitudes.

I'm not sure what having two cops killed has anything to do with it. The idea that the politics surrounding recent events has anything at all to do with what clearly is the case of a complete nutter doing what complete nutters are wont to do is ludicrous. This guy was going to kill no matter what happened. The idea that all criticism of the police (who are employed by us) must cease just because a loon might (who again, was going to kill no matter what) do something is simply not acceptable. Members of our armed forces are expected to continue fighting when their friends have been cut down right next to them in the midst of combat. I see no reason why we don't expect the same from our police. Or should we just shut down police departments for a few weeks every time one of them gets killed? They have a job to do, I expect it to be done. If they're not willing to do it, I expect either our leaders to find suitable people to do it, or I want some of my tax dollars back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 02:53 PM

8,640 posts, read 9,155,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He wasn't killed for walking down the middle of the road. I don't like wrong or misleading arguments no matter where they came from.
Perhaps. I'm not saying that particular kid didn't deserve it. What I'm saying is the perception of these killings.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:59 PM

78,580 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I think what they are saying is don't kill men who sell cigarettes and or steal one and then walk down the middle of the road. Some years ago near me a black guy stole a ham from a local store. He was arrested, handcuffed to a bench in the police station, was able to get out of the cuffs, walked out of the door and was shot in the back and killed. The cop was fired and rehired some years later. That kind of killing.
While some of those are not very good examples of a "bad shoot" (or are at least unclear) we can both agree that there are bad shoots from time to time and those cops should be punished.

However, the current meme is that even is the guy is a known gang member with an ankle bracelet for gun possesion....if a white cop shoots him.....there is going to be at least some sort of immediate protest or riot and people are going to be claiming he was shot in th back and the gun at the scene was planted etc etc.

That guy fired 3 shots at a cop in St. Louis, was killed by return fire, residue on his hands, gun at the scene, pictures of him holding the guns on social media....and they are STILL protesting his "racist killing" and how all that stuff has been faked.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:00 PM

15,652 posts, read 10,421,569 times
Quote:
If people aren't being jumped for selling loose cigarette's, a little pot or something similar I do think this is a good thing.

Maybe two officers in one car with them no longer being tax collectors will be a good thing. It would greatly cut down on costs. Half the transportation costs. Just think of the cut in fuel? This money then used for better training would be great for the city IMO.

Though granted the savings might be offset not collecting every penny of cigarette taxes.
Who made the law that selling loose cigarettes were a crime? Take it up with them. Selling loose cigarettes was against the law, pknopp. The police are not the lawmakers! They enforce the law as is, not what we want it to be.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,295,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Who made the law that loose cigarettes were a crime? Selling loose cigarettes was against the law, pknopp. The police are not the lawmakers! They enforce the law as is, not what we want it to be.
Chokeholds were banned. There would have been no protests if they had simply written him a ticket IF he was even actually doing anything. You can't ignore that 6 men jumped him and then left him to die over what we both seem to agree is a stupid law.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:08 PM

14,485 posts, read 11,303,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Exactly. And I am one of the Liberal Left. Should this thread try to continue as a Wingnut rant against the totally justified criticism police have received for their racist agenda I will have to post again. Trust me, you don't want that. Police brought this on themselves!
Does this mean that law enforcement can go to Baltimore and gun down all the gangbangers? By your logic, they would have brought it on themselves.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:10 PM

78,580 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Nobody threw them under the bus, you're repeating the ridiculous, over-the-top rhetoric of the NYPD union leaders.

At worst de Blasio's statements on the police have been lukewarm platitudes.

I'm not sure what having two cops killed has anything to do with it. The idea that the politics surrounding recent events has anything at all to do with what clearly is the case of a complete nutter doing what complete nutters are wont to do is ludicrous. This guy was going to kill no matter what happened. The idea that all criticism of the police (who are employed by us) must cease just because a loon might (who again, was going to kill no matter what) do something is simply not acceptable. Members of our armed forces are expected to continue fighting when their friends have been cut down right next to them in the midst of combat. I see no reason why we don't expect the same from our police. Or should we just shut down police departments for a few weeks every time one of them gets killed? They have a job to do, I expect it to be done. If they're not willing to do it, I expect either our leaders to find suitable people to do it, or I want some of my tax dollars back.
In the words of the great Bugs Bunny, "Heh, strong union!"

Old 12-29-2014, 03:11 PM

15,652 posts, read 10,421,569 times
Quote:
Chokeholds were banned. There would have been no protests if they had simply written him a ticket IF he was even actually doing anything. You can't ignore that 6 men jumped him and then left him to die over what we both seem to agree is a stupid law.
I've read many sources say the officer did not use a chock hold. I don't know as I'm not an expert on chock holds. I do know I would not resist arrest if I had asthma or for any other reason, especially if I knew what arrest meant after being arrested over 30 times. That is my opinion, but I have never been arrested.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,295,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I've read many sources say the officer did not use a chock hold.
I've read we didn't go to the moon also.

Quote:
I don't know as I'm not an expert on chock holds. I do know I would not resist arrest if I had asthma, especially if I knew what arrest meant after being arrest over 30 times. That is my opinion.
So as far as you actually know, he might have been choked. Are you then saying even though it was banned, it's justifiable?

Old 12-29-2014, 03:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,952,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
no a lot of them are rich white kids with their heads up daddy's wallet~~
Pretty much same as OWS was. people who have no responsibility really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies