Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 02:45 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,920,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Mexicans in California and Texas always went to schools with whites.

The "Mexican Schools" were isolated to just certain districts and were based on language and not race. They were really special needs schools, like ESL schools for Mexicans, and were never legally enforced. If you actually read the court documents from Mendez v. Westminister it's very clear about this.

Lots of people are making up stories today in an attempt to contrive Latino civil rights movement , but segregation was a non-issue for 90% of so-called "hispanic" people because they were never legally segregated - ever in history in any state. When segregation ended it meant nothing to Mexicans because the vast majority had always gone to schools with whites.

Mexicans were white, they didn't become minorities until the 1970's.
Mexican ain't a race as it is. Hell; in some states a "brown" Mexican American was allowed to marry a party white anglo but was NOT allowed to marry a brown skin Apache even tho most Mexican people ARE "Indian" going by their DNA. This was back about 50 or so years ago in many states like Virginia.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:16 AM

73,074 posts, read 62,694,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
1. I would rather someone be overtly racist with me than pull some excuse on why they can't do something when I really know what the reason is.
2. Who questions those channels?
3. How do blacks help each other? I mean I know we have black owned businesses and what not, but do we really help each other out on the larger scale? Say, like Asians?

Do you want someone to give us jobs because they have to? Or because we're actually qualified? We're already looked down on, arguably more so than any other race in this country. I feel like AA just makes people in positions of power resent us more. I think we should reenact the Tuskegee Machine these days.
Honestly, there is not much difference between overt racism and pulling some excuse. At least nowadays, we can sue people. Being overtly racist and acting on it only makes life harder.

Who questions those channels? With all the brouhaha about the Oscars and Stacy Dash, I have seeny fair share of complaining. All I had to do was go on Facebook and find people agreeing with her. On City-Data there have been critics of BET, and Blacks get complained about more than anyone else.

The 3rd question, I would rather save that for a separate discussion.

As for "have to", this is how I look at it. Many people didn't want to see Black slaves become free. It happened anyway. Reconstruction happened, despite many Southerners kicking and screaming. The end of Jim Crow was a big battle. Alot of people didn't want Blacks to be treated as Americans. It happened anyway. Said persons may not like it, but whatever gets the job done, by any means necessary.

As for resentment, I don't care why. Blacks have always been hated. Blacks didn't even have a say in how they came to the USA. Blacks have fought in wars for this country, in segregated armies, and still got treated like second class citizens. Looking at history, Blacks have been hated and looked down on from day one. As for AA, the biggest benificiary of affirmative action are White females. Other minorities benefit from affirmative action as well. Why Blacks get the most resentment, I see it as many things have never changed.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:36 AM

73,074 posts, read 62,694,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Mexican ain't a race as it is. Hell; in some states a "brown" Mexican American was allowed to marry a party white anglo but was NOT allowed to marry a brown skin Apache even tho most Mexican people ARE "Indian" going by their DNA. This was back about 50 or so years ago in many states like Virginia.
It's an ethnicity. Louis CK is Mexican through his father's side of the family. However, his father is of Hungarian Jewish descent. CK looks more Anglo than what would be considered Mexican.

Baseball player Jorge Orta could be mistaken for Dominican, as he is Black. However, he was born and raised in Mexico. He is Mexican of African descent.

As for why a Mexican with Native American ancestry would be considered White, but a Native American would not be considered such, quite baffling. Even more so, the one drop rule has been particularly used on Blacks. Look at Plessy v Ferguson. Plessy was 7/8 White and 1/8 Black. He was classified as "Black" because of his 1/8 Black ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.