Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 11:47 AM

78,618 posts, read 60,797,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Where are the swarms of people looking to defend this guy? The excuse will be that he was off duty or that somehow there is more to the story.
Probably because what he did was clear cut and indefensible and charges have been brought against him.

Unlike the case in St. Louis where the guy with an ankle bracelet for gun possession shot at a cop and was then shot and killed....and there are social media pics of him in a gang with lotsa guns etc.

You can find the thread about it here claiming he was murdered, executed by racists etc. and his family is still making the claims that the gun was planted blah blah blah.

Just showing you which side of these arguments is actually the "whacky" one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 11:51 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,432,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Hopefully, he will soon have a new home. One that is about six feet by nine feet, with bars on the window.
Why not six feet deep by three feet wide? If he killed her like that, I say hang him up.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:10 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,182,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
First, please provide the stats on citizens killed by cops. Then provide the years the stats cover.

Secondly, the true comparison would be how many cops are killed versus how many INNOCENT citizens are killed. A cop shooting in self defense should not be included in those stats.

Yes, there are awful cops. But that is the minority, in spite of what the media and criminals want you to believe.
It would be very informative to show those statistics, unfortunately cops don't keep or publish them (convenient?). Instead, it is citizens groups that keep those stats. If you want statistics and education, go looking for the information and try to dispute it if you like. In the meantime here are some highlights for you:
  • Since 1900, an average of 174 Cops are killed in the line every year. This figure includes those killed by bicycle accidents and illnesses. The number climbs as high as 303 in 1932 and falls to a low of about 100 in recent years. This number has been steadily falling since 1972.
  • The number of cops killed by intentional assault is estimated (for the past ten years) is 66 a year. Also a trend that is generally falling.
  • It is estimated that over 5000 citizens have been killed by cop in the years since 9/11 (when militarization of police forces started). An estimate of 384 a year. More than five times as many as the cops killed.
  • Justifiable killings by cops average about 400 a year since 1991. A figure that is going up every year. Who justifies them?

Since it is almost impossible to get statistics on how many citizens are murdered by cops, let look at the amount of money paid out by cities to compensate or cover-up the number of crimes committed by cops against innocent citizens... These amounts represent cases where cities and police departments could not find a way to justify their mis-deeds.
  • NYC Paid over $1B over a decade to settle wrongful cop action. $100M a year. This includes abuse, brutality, and murders by cops.
  • Philadelphia has paid out over $40M since 2009 to payout for cop misconduct. Only $10M a year (Your tax money. City can't afford citizen services, I see why). With the advent of cop car cams, cell phones, city web-cams and such expect the number of suits to go up. Do you ever wonder why cops are trying hard to make it illegal for you to film them "doing their duty?"
  • Baltimore City spent over $10 million on settlements and legal fees in 2009. This figure is limited because of statutory limits.
  • Chicago spent over $.5B. over a decade.
  • L.A. $54M
  • Oakland: $74 million to settle 417 lawsuits since 1990.
  • Denver: $13 million over 10 years
  • Dallas: $6 million since 2011
  • Minneapolis: $21 million since 2003.

Mistakes, I can understand. Out and out criminal actions by cops, I cannot excuse. If we want to rein in cop violence, we need to start keeping better track of this information.

Lastly, before I leave this post, for those who are pulling hard to justify cop actions. Let me ask you this... Why does my original post about this mental cop rile you so much!?! Do you think he was in ANY WAY justified? What excuse can you come up with for a person to pull out a gun and shoot (not attempt) a fellow motorist?

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 12-01-2014 at 01:21 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 01:50 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,641,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
There won't be anyone defending him. Why should they? He's a horrible person, who will be charged and sentenced by a jury of his peers.

Which is precisely why I posted what I posted sarcastically. They are very vocal in threads about the cop case in Ferguson, but they cannot admit that what the cop did in this case was terribly wrong and uncalled for. There should be a balance in posting. When something or someone is clearly in the wrong decent people can at least express that it was wrong.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

Mistakes, I can understand. Out and out criminal actions by cops, I cannot excuse. If we want to rein in cop violence, we need to start keeping better track of this information.

Lastly, before I leave this post, for those who are pulling hard to justify cop actions. Let me ask you this... Why does my original post about this mental cop rile you so much!?! Do you think he was in ANY WAY justified? What excuse can you come up with for a person to pull out a gun and shoot (not attempt) a fellow motorist?

Old 12-01-2014, 01:57 PM

78,618 posts, read 60,797,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Why not six feet deep by three feet wide? If he killed her like that, I say hang him up.
He actually tied a stick of dynamite to an arrow, lit it and blew up her car like the Dukes of Hazard.

Seriously though, how hard is it to just read the link prior to joining in?

Old 12-03-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XX View Post
His neighbors are actually admitting that the dude was crazy and mean before the shooting.

And he was STILL allowed to be a cop?

Surely he showed some of this craziness ad meanness around those whom he worked with.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:49 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,762,668 times
Glad the woman didn't die and a lowlife scumbag is off the streets hopefully for a long time.

I say toss him in with the regular prison population.

Hope the woman learned a lesson about what her actions can provoke right or wrong.

You stand your ground you better be ready to defend your life if not then let the idiot who cut you off go on his way.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:55 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,393,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I agree, L3XX, and I'd require a 4 year degree for anyone beyond the lowest level police department jobs. Get folks with skin in the game, not just society's misfits who can't make half a cop's pay any other way.

You are not going to get an educated person to voluntarily risk their life to protect scumbags.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:32 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,432,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
He actually tied a stick of dynamite to an arrow, lit it and blew up her car like the Dukes of Hazard.

Seriously though, how hard is it to just read the link prior to joining in?

An OP with a link and no comment doesn't get much attention from me. The way I read one of the comments I thought it was a killing. Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies