Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:50 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Can you provide a link to the article. Thank you
Jesse Jackson - Wikiquote

There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.... After all we have been through. Just to think we can't walk down our own streets, how humiliating.
Remarks at a meeting of Operation PUSH in Chicago (27 November 1993). Quoted in "Crime: New Frontier - Jesse Jackson Calls It Top Civil-Rights Issue" by Mary A. Johnson, 29 November 1993, Chicago Sun-Times (ellipsis in original). Partially quoted in "In America; A Sea Change On Crime" by Bob Herbert, 12 December 1993, New York Times.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Jesse Jackson - Wikiquote

There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.... After all we have been through. Just to think we can't walk down our own streets, how humiliating.
Remarks at a meeting of Operation PUSH in Chicago (27 November 1993). Quoted in "Crime: New Frontier - Jesse Jackson Calls It Top Civil-Rights Issue" by Mary A. Johnson, 29 November 1993, Chicago Sun-Times (ellipsis in original). Partially quoted in "In America; A Sea Change On Crime" by Bob Herbert, 12 December 1993, New York Times.
I guess I see this different from you. To me what he is saying is that if you turn around and see a white person you would feel ok. But if you turned around and saw a black person, you would feel they may rob you or something. Not sure why you aren't understanding this.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.” - Jesse Jackson

So, what does it say about certain elements of black culture when even Jesse Jackson is relieved to see a white person behind him on the street at night?

Since Jesse is so highly revered in black America, shouldn't that be a wake up call? Lord knows that black people would go ape shat crazy if a white person said this. Maybe black America needs a hefty heaping of introspection foisted on it by Jesse Jackson and his words of wisdom?

If Jesse Jackson can't get a point across to black America, then who can???
Dude..you're all late.

He said that a few decades ago. You're just hearing about that?

So now he's your new hero, huh? LMAO

Old 08-28-2014, 11:24 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Actual quote:

He said it in relation to the area being full of crime and poverty to the point where when he was walking there he felt ashamed.

Congrats on changing the quote to fit your agenda.
I didn't change the quote. I copied and pasted it. And NOTHING about what Jackson said changed between your quote and the one I pasted.

Intellectual dishonesty and fundamental disingenuousness is all you posted here. Ask me if I'm surprised. I dare ya.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Dude..you're all late.

He said that a few decades ago. You're just hearing about that?

So now he's your new hero, huh? LMAO
Of course this is not new. Never said or even implied that it was a new quote. But that doesn't change the intent of the quote. You're just ashamed to have to defend such a comment.

Got anything else?

Old 08-28-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
The OP really didn't change anything to alter the point Jackson was making. It's an old quote that has been kicked around for years, but your context didn't alter the meaning - unless I missed something which is possible.
No, you're absolutely right. The poster is just intellectually dishonest.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I guess I see this different from you. To me what he is saying is that if you turn around and see a white person you would feel ok. But if you turned around and saw a black person, you would feel they may rob you or something. Not sure why you aren't understanding this.
I think everyone understands it. And that's the point.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:30 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
That quote came from Jesse Jackson. He's a "Black" dude who owned up to being scared of other Black dudes walking behind him, NOT anglo white dudes walking behind him. I posted the info AND put up the source link. Sheesh!

Old 08-29-2014, 09:19 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
You must be pretty bored to pull out an old quote from JJ that your ilk despises. Why don't you take a break from your anti-black spewing. It's the Labor Day weekend. Enjoy!

Last edited by fitzy24; 08-29-2014 at 09:35 AM..

Old 08-29-2014, 09:47 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Actual quote:

He said it in relation to the area being full of crime and poverty to the point where when he was walking there he felt ashamed.

Congrats on changing the quote to fit your agenda.
It changes nothing. He felt relieved when it was a white person behind him and felt ashamed of what has become of the black community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies