Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:03 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,224,622 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind a few things.

Countries are simply lines on a map. In many cases, there are no geographical markers for the boundary between countries other than what humans have constructed(IE a fence). The country of Ukraine didn't even exist prior to 1917. By 1920, it had been gobbled up by Poland and the Soviet Union, where it would remain effectively a non-country till 1991.

In fact, if we were to take a snapshot of the territorial borders of Europe from 100 years ago, most of the countries we know today, didn't even exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1sjHGODFHg

Even more, there are secessionist movements in practically every country on this Earth. In Eastern Ukraine, ethnic Russians outnumber ethnic Ukrainians in many areas. In the city of Donetsk, nearly 90% of the population speaks Russian as their first language. For the Donetsk Oblast(IE province) ~75% speak Russian, for the Luhansk Oblast ~70% speak Russian.

This idea that once a border is drawn on a map that the country is "forever", or that no one outside of that country has any right to intervene is nonsense. We don't even believe that. America intervenes in practically every country on this Earth. Whether it is assisting governments that are there or supporting rebels by supplying them arms and advisers. Trust me, there is a 100% chance that America is already heavily involved in the Ukrainian conflict, and was probably providing significant funding for the Euromaidan protests.

What should be done about Ukraine? I always tilt towards self-determination and/or independence. I don't want Russia to annex Eastern Ukraine, but I also don't believe that Kiev has the right to rule a region of the country that doesn't want to be ruled by Kiev.

I would bet if the people there were given the option between remaining part of Ukraine, to be annexed by Russia, or to have full independence, that they would choose full independence. The problem is, Ukraine refuses to just let them go. Which leaves them with only one other option, to make a deal with the Russian devil.

If Russia ends up annexing parts of Ukraine, the blame is on Ukraine, not Russia. Kiev not only illegally and violently overthrew its elected government through the US of right-wing paramilitary groups. But is using violence to repress those who refuse to recognize what is effectively an illegal government in Kiev. As much as I dislike Russia, I would be extremely happy if the violent Ukrainian nationalists overthrow of a legitimate government with the blessing of "The West", ends up backfiring on them.

As the saying goes, Violence begets violence. Or as Jesus Christ would say, those who live by the sword, die by the sword.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 08-29-2014 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 09:17 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,938,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
If Russia ends up annexing parts of Ukraine, the blame is on Ukraine, not Russia. Kiev not only illegally and violently overthrew its elected government through the US of right-wing paramilitary groups. But is using violence to repress those who refuse to recognize what is effectively an illegal government in Kiev........
So, when Putin said the government that was just recently elected was one he would recognize, and that he let the elections occur without incidence, he was supporting those "US right-wing paramilitary groups"?

Not likely.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:27 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,343,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Yea but, I think the Russians are to dumb to interpret the pictures.
Lol! I wouldn't talk about "too dumb" if I were you. You can't interpret second grade grammar.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:31 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
You can talk about both situations, one does not cancel the other out you know? ISIS is s-/$, so is Putin.
I am always interested in how nations that lack a politically powerful military-industrial sector view conflict in the world.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:22 AM

13,308 posts, read 7,884,749 times
I'd hate to see Monsanto get its clutches on Ukraine.

"Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych abruptly halted talks on steering Ukraine into the European Union after it became clear to him that the position of Ukraine as the “bread basket” for eastern Europe, including Russia would be harmed by European Union trade deals that would open up Ukraine’s wheat fields to Monsanto’s adulterated wheat crops. Russia, in particular, saw the EU deal with Ukraine as threatening its economic survival."

"Whereas Ukraine is eastern Europe’s breadbasket, Thailand is Asia’s “rice bowl.” Yingluck has made several statements that any agreement on a Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade zone must take into account the needs of Thailand’s farmers, who serve as the bed rock of popular support for Yingluck’s “Red Shirt” movement. After Yingluck came to the defense of Thailand’s farmers, who would oppose any attempt by Monsanto to introduce genetically-modified rice to the country (which previously occurred with Haiti, which saw its rice industry decimated), pro-royalist “Yellow Shirt” protesters took to the streets of Bangkok."

Monsanto: Behind the rioting in Ukraine and Thailand | RoseanneWorld

Old 08-29-2014, 02:44 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,343,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
I'd hate to see Monsanto get its clutches on Ukraine.

"Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych abruptly halted talks on steering Ukraine into the European Union after it became clear to him that the position of Ukraine as the “bread basket” for eastern Europe, including Russia would be harmed by European Union trade deals that would open up Ukraine’s wheat fields to Monsanto’s adulterated wheat crops. Russia, in particular, saw the EU deal with Ukraine as threatening its economic survival."

"Whereas Ukraine is eastern Europe’s breadbasket, Thailand is Asia’s “rice bowl.” Yingluck has made several statements that any agreement on a Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade zone must take into account the needs of Thailand’s farmers, who serve as the bed rock of popular support for Yingluck’s “Red Shirt” movement. After Yingluck came to the defense of Thailand’s farmers, who would oppose any attempt by Monsanto to introduce genetically-modified rice to the country (which previously occurred with Haiti, which saw its rice industry decimated), pro-royalist “Yellow Shirt” protesters took to the streets of Bangkok."

Monsanto: Behind the rioting in Ukraine and Thailand | RoseanneWorld
Off topic.
As usual.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:12 PM

23,597 posts, read 17,275,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
This was posted from Canada's NATO twitter account. Subtle? Nope.

Geography can be tough. Here’s a guide for Russian soldiers who keep getting lost & ‘accidentally’ entering #Ukraine pic.twitter.com/RF3H4IXGSp
Hope they can read english

Old 08-29-2014, 04:38 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,845,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
...there is a 100% chance that America is already heavily involved in the Ukrainian conflict, and was probably providing significant funding for the Euromaidan protests..
Probably? No, for sure!

Victoria Nuland Admits: US Has Invested $5 Billion In The Development of Ukrainian, "Democratic Institutions"

The United States spent $5 billion on Ukraine anti-government riots | PunditFact

http://www.hangthebankers.com/us-spe...ilize-ukraine/

Old 08-29-2014, 07:16 PM

57,413 posts, read 26,310,785 times
Great job googling, you can always find someone that agrees with your opinion. Finding a legitimate news source is another story.

Seems like you are spending a lot of time trying to justify the invasion of a foreign country by Russia.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:13 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,845,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Great job googling, you can always find someone that agrees with your opinion. Finding a legitimate news source is another story.
What is a legitimate news source?
Let me guess... The one that no matter what accuses Russia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Seems like you are spending a lot of time trying to justify the invasion of a foreign country by Russia.
I don't have to justify the invasion of Ukraine by Russia because there was no invasion.
I am just sincerely trying to get people think unbiased, unprejudiced, fairly and logically. But with no luck.
Can you please answer me why is Putin allegedly doing this? What's the point for Russia to "invade" Ukraine quarreling with the West? And who benefits from the situation for real?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies