Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 04:58 PM

50,443 posts, read 64,284,255 times

Advertisements

I feel the restaurant made a mistake, but they are free to comply with the lunatic fringe if they wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 04:59 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,312,305 times
BLTs are ok--but bacon is highly overrated. <(^oo^)>

Old 08-24-2014, 05:08 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,676,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I blame the restaurant that removed the sign. Remind me never to eat there.
I completely agree.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:10 PM

52,395 posts, read 52,893,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I feel the restaurant made a mistake, but they are free to comply with the lunatic fringe if they wish.
True point.

As much as it offends me.... we live in a society that allows silliness to happen and for that I am grateful............

Old 08-24-2014, 05:10 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,153,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Beware of the Burqa Bloodbath lurking outside of your kitchen window.....lol.
LOL... Not here in the Bible belt..... *chomp chomp*

Old 08-24-2014, 05:16 PM

39,125 posts, read 51,396,292 times
We have no evidence that it was a Muslim that called or that there was a call at all. The "caller" identified herself as such, but it is just as certain that it was a wingbat rightie trying to make an issue where there was none - a false flag operation. Alternatively, the owner did it knowing the wingbat righties would flock to his restaurant in support. The outrage of the usual suspects confirms that it worked.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 08-24-2014 at 05:32 PM..

Old 08-24-2014, 05:16 PM

17,504 posts, read 9,325,181 times
Quote:
Comment from the city manager: "The cool part of living in a diverse community is that it's not always comfortable. It's a fascinating place with lots of opportunities for conversation"

Comment from the individual in question: "........insensitive to those who do not consume pork. She said as a Muslim she is personally offended by it".
The Cafe owner didn't handle this very well, but it's hard to blame them for attempting to avoid a lawsuit (or worse) because a woman on the street became "personally offended" at a written word that is sold in every grocery I've ever been in.

Perhaps a better way to handle this would have been for the City Manager to call a town meeting for an "opportunity for conversation" -- they could have asked this "personally offended" Muslim woman to please present a comprehensive list of all words and pictures that "personally offended" her and ask her what the entire town should do so that SHE would not be "personally offended".

Then the "conversation" could begin. This woman would look like a fool.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:26 PM

6,268 posts, read 5,089,863 times
Why hasn't she complained to local grocery stores? Bacon, pork chops, ham, sausages, bacon bits, pork rinds - all kinds of things up and down the aisles ripe with offense. Then move on to McDonalds. Better wipe those Egg McMuffins off the map. Beef only at those neighborhood bar-bq's. Complain about ham for Christmas dinners. Oh wait..............Christmas dinners. That's a problem. There will need to be a dialogue, or we need to open a conversation or have a teachable moment or.....something.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:26 PM

39,125 posts, read 51,396,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The Cafe owner didn't handle this very well, but it's hard to blame them for attempting to avoid a lawsuit (or worse) because a woman on the street became "personally offended" at a written word that is sold in every grocery I've ever been in.

Perhaps a better way to handle this would have been for the City Manager to call a town meeting for an "opportunity for conversation" -- they could have asked this "personally offended" Muslim woman to please present a comprehensive list of all words and pictures that "personally offended" her and ask her what the entire town should do so that SHE would not be "personally offended".

Then the "conversation" could begin. This woman would look like a fool.
What is looking like a fool is all of you right wingers who are so caught up in your stereotypes and prejudices that you can't even tell you are being punked. A huge helping of skepticism should be served up with this bacon.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:28 PM

39,906 posts, read 26,617,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
No one is forcing the Muslim community to consume bacon or any other pork product. Why should it be removed from the menu. I have gone out to eat with people that keep Kosher and the restaurant was not a Kosher restaurant. They simply asked for fish cooked in tin foil and plastic utensils. Vegetarians may ask for something customized not to include a meat product but they don't ask items to be removed from the menu. I would love to know why is that we must change our ways for their benefit when to date it has not been done with any other group that may have food exclusions. Any restaurant that does this is off my list of places to eat. The first restaurant eliminated is Subway since they have not only removed menu items but also are purchasing food from companies that prepare the food in their special way.
Muslims are another special, protected class these days. Can't risk possibly offending them. Too bad the diner was spinless-should have used papers out of the Koran to serve the bacon on.

The woman is free to start her own restaurant and serve any darned thing she wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies